PDA

View Full Version : Flyer critique

Steve
09-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Here is a flyer sent to me from Myrlin. Her daughter and future son in law are starting their own business and they created a flyer to get going.

Give us your feedback.

Please keep things constructive, we all know how tough it is to get started.

Steve
09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Here is my view. I like that they are including a picture of themselves. I would like to see a different picture though. Ideally I would like them to present a really professional image. Even though they are just starting out, they can do this.

How? Why not have them both wearing the same colored shirts / outfits as a company uniform. Then have them possibly in the activity of doing the yard work?

I don't think potential customers will get the "Satisfaction guaranteed or double your weeds." It's playful, but I don't know if you really want to promote that image.

Another thing is I would stick with one phone number.

Maybe say something like, call and talk to one of our owners. Erinn or Kirk.

I don't think you want to say a subdivision of .... If you want to include that line I would suggest a division of ...

What's your view on that so far?

myrlin
09-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Team Gopher,

Yes, I agree with you. I really don't care too much for this photo of my daughter & her fiance. I think one with both wearing same color shirts is a good idea to look more professional. They can change it to one phone number I guess. She works full time at another job & not able to take calls so I put my number on there also to take the messages for her.
Division of does sound better than subdivision.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming...Myrlin

John/Logo-Mechanix
09-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree about using a different picture that is related to what they do. I would also suggest coming up with a logo even if they create something simple themselves it tends to distinguish you from the competition. I would also suggest playing with the text to make it jump out more, maybe make the header larger and the picture smaller. I don't mind the text color for the most part I would however change the color of weed 'em out weed control to a more subtle green and change the color of the phone numbers from red. When someone asks me what works as a flyer I always tell them it is very simple just look at all the flyers you get from the big boys in the mail everyday and take notice as to which ones grab your attention more.

myrlin
09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
What actually is a Logo? I mean, how does one decide what a logo should be. Is a logo a picture or is it text?

John/Logo-Mechanix
09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
A logo can be either or both, in my professional opinion it is very important to distinguish yourself from your competition and a logo is one of the things that does this. If a customer remembers your logo, they remeber you, if you direct your advertising properly your logo becomes synonymous with your name and makes you more easily recognizable. Think about a successful company or organization in just about any line of business, Nike, Coca Cola, Apple etc.. they all have some kind of Logo whether it is text only like Coca Cola or a very distinguishing mark like Nike or the Apple of Apple computers.

myrlin
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks...I have a better understanding of logos. We'll have to work on that.
I can see she has to do pretty much a whole overhaul of her flyer. Now we know what to concentrate on.

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.

John/Logo-Mechanix
09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
No problem myrlin, I hope my suggestions help.

Howard Roark
09-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I would suggest that your daughter and future son-in-law post here. I'm curious as to why the mom is doing the R & D.
To be successful, or above average successful, you need major drive and a sincere desire to learn everything you can.
Hopefully we'll see them on here soon.

As for the flyer, to be quite honest It looks like they're out at a bar in the picture. It has no industry connection whatsoever. This is an easy fix though.

Before and after pics are HUGELY successful in many industries. Even a picture of some sort of landscape would have more impact, as it puts an image of what people "want" in their mind, hence them calling you to obtain it.

Remember, you need to create a "want" so bad in the customer's mind that the deal is done as they're calling.

Good luck. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Steve
09-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Quote[/b] ]Remember, you need to create a "want" so bad in the customer's mind that the deal is done as they're calling.
That is a great thought!

What is your suggestion on how you would create such a want for a company offering weed control?

You mentioned the before and after images, which I like, do you have other thoughts on this as well?

Howard Roark
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Honestly I can't think of anything better for a weed control ad than before and after pics. The customer can relate to what they have, i.e. the pic of a heavily weeded lawn, then they can relate to what they want, the same lawn in an after pic that is super green, lush, and weed free. If I had the same business this is the only way I would advertise it. Put professional looking pictures of yourself on the website (web address also printed on the postcard or flyer) and stick to topic. Remember, you only have minutes or perhaps seconds to make an impact in someone's mind with a flyer or card, it's got to be good.

Secondly, regarding the pictures of yourself on the website...

You can create any "illusion" you want about your business. You can look like you're worth a million bucks and have been doing this for years, or you can look like you just started your company. Go for the million dollar look. You've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose. In business, image means a great deal, and it's up to you to create your image.

I'm still amazed how many people are more than willing to give me their credit card numbers while knowing nothing about me. However, if I didn't display such a professional image via my postcards, website, and my communication skills on the phone and in my e-mails I would never get even one.

I hope this helps, because believe me it works!

Steve
10-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Quote[/b] ]You can create any "illusion" you want about your business. You can look like you're worth a million bucks and have been doing this for years, or you can look like you just started your company. Go for the million dollar look. You've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose. In business, image means a great deal, and it's up to you to create your image.

I hope Erinn and Kirk are checking this out. It could really help them.

I think this is great insight you are offering.

Why not go for the million dollar look? I do agree with you. As a consumer I would pay more to a company who promoted the image that they know what they are doing. If you are going to do the same work, why not make the most you can of your hours!

Howard, are there any pointers you would say that would really help an lco look like a million bucks?

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Those are great points, I come across people all the time with suggestions about how they want to advertise and my advice is always to use professional looking material peopleall too often don't want to invest the money in advertising and think anything will do. Trust me when I amlooking for a service, any kind of service the professionally done advertising is what gets my attention. What people see in the few seconds they take to look at your advertisiement tells them who you are and what you do so it better be good.

Steve
10-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I do appreciate your insight. Thank you.