PDA

View Full Version : dixie chopper vs exmark?

miked9372
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm about to buy a new lawn mower but i want some info on what one is better dixie chopper or exmark?

Steve
08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
What size mower are you looking at? What have you liked or disliked about them so far?

miked9372
08-08-2010, 11:51 PM
just a 60" i haven't used either of them but man do thought dixie choppers have some power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lEnYeXmBA

Steve
08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on either manufacturer they can add?

CCL
05-28-2011, 06:34 AM
I have a couple of Dc's Both are 96 modeks.I bought one new and the other used.Both have over 4000 hrs on them.I have had to replace an engine on the one I bought new.It is getting a head gasket replaced now.The other as far as I know has the orignal motor on it.Both have served me well.I'm looking at the Dc Excaliber maybe with a 33 hp Generac and the 66 inch deck.

CCL
05-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Here's some stripes using my old mower.Some of you may have seen them before from the other sites.Sorry for the bad quality.Cheap camera.

Steve
05-28-2011, 07:11 AM
If you were trying to attach an image to that last post and it didn't work, try making the image a bit smaller before you upload it again.

CCL
05-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Actually I was deleting the pic.

Steve
05-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Those look amazing! I am sure they get you a lot of attention.

CCL
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Thx.One is mine.My neighbor finally bought him a Zeroturn.i guess he got tired of me smokn him everytime we mowed.The curvy one was a couple of years ago when it was very dry here.

calebmoss
05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Here's some stripes using my old mower.Some of you may have seen them before from the other sites.Sorry for the bad quality.Cheap camera.

Are these in Gallatin that church looks like its over by 386 and 109 ?

brian'slawncare
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I have an exmark. love it. never heard anything bad about either of em though...

wandfsmall
05-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I have an exmark. love it. never heard anything bad about either of em though...

most of the time you hear something bad about a commercial grade mower it is one of 3 things.

1. they like a feature of another mower better and should have bought that one.

2. the dealer did not know how to setup the deck to suite the customer.

3. something happened with the mower, and that happens to all of the brands just the luck of the draw or how you treat it.

I do not carry Exmark or Dixie Chopper as I am not fans of them but it has nothing to do with quality just pricing.

Byron3243
05-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a Dixie chopper its at 07 model and i am finally starting to like it better. It took me putting almost 200 hrs on it before i finally got it to mow the way I like. A lot of playing with the deck setup. The dealer couldnt do nothing with it. The only thing I really dont like about it now is the tires. It will tear the hell out of the grass if ur not careful. I am scared to change them though fearing it wont stay on a slope.

Steve
06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
It took me putting almost 200 hrs on it before i finally got it to mow the way I like.

What kinds of things did you not like about the cut initially and what have you done to change it?

mark123
06-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I've been using Toro mowers just about my entire mowing career including working for others and then for myself. I like the quality of cut but they just don't seem as reliable as they once were. The biggest problem though is my local Toro dealer. They will not give you a loaner if your mower is in the shop and they want to keep the mower for 2 weeks. I contacted the local Dixie Chopper dealer and he told me that he personally delivers a loaner if one of his mowers breaks down. If he has a customer's DC for a month then the customer has his mower for a month. I really appreciated that and am very highly considering a DC. The only problems is that no one around here owns one and I can't ask for opinions.

CCL, do you have the zebra stripe kit on the mower that made those stripes or is that just the deck doing the work? My Toro will stripe like that without a stripe kit.

CCL
06-05-2011, 06:53 AM
I have a kit on one of mine.It will stripe without a kit though.I cut my lawns higher anyways.Those were made with with the chains.

mark123
06-05-2011, 06:57 AM
I have a kit on one of mine.It will stripe without a kit though.I cut my lawns higher anyways.Those were made with with the chains.

I'm really starting to like the idea of all the add-ons that Dixie Chopper offers. Can you tell me a bit more about their product and service? Are you unhappy about anything?

wandfsmall
06-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm really starting to like the idea of all the add-ons that Dixie Chopper offers. Can you tell me a bit more about their product and service? Are you unhappy about anything?

Remember the service is in the dealer not the brand, and can change from area to area. Also all of the add-ons for chopper are available for the other brands as well, with the exception of the spring forks(but most have something similar) The big drawback that I have seen on the dealer side is the Generac engine does not always have good support. It is one of the better engines available and although I am not a Dixie Chopper dealer I support the engines at my shop but not all dealers do.

Another thing to consider is will the dealer have a loaner when you need it. I am seeing a lot of dealers drop the loaner program, to many customers abusing the equipment, we have to pay for this mower and repair it when someone tears it up. Personally I do not use this to sell mowers but offer a loaner when someone that bought a mower from me is down that takes care of the equipment they own.

mark123
06-05-2011, 01:49 PM
.,.. Also all of the add-ons for chopper are available for the other brands as well, with the exception of the spring forks(but most have something similar) ... I'm talking about items that won't void the warranty. Sure you can stick two blades on on each spindle of your Toro but you'll void the warranty. Want to add a sulky? Void the warranty. OCDC is available via third-party but again you void the warranty. On the other hand, Dixie Chopper not only offers these options they also come factory installed. That's what I mean. :)

CCL
06-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Alot of the add ons as you call them have become available on other brands but Dixie started the trend.

wandfsmall
06-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Alot of the add ons as you call them have become available on other brands but Dixie started the trend.

Yes I agree and these add-ons do not void the warranty of the mowers. That would be against the law, and even on Dixie Choppers if you add the double blades and they destroy a spindle do not expect chopper to pay for the spindle. I expect a lot of the add-ons to slow down with them as they are under new management as well so we will all have to see what becomes of chopper soon.

Steve
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Who bought the company? I had thought it was family owned.

mark123
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
... even on Dixie Choppers if you add the double blades and they destroy a spindle do not expect chopper to pay for the spindle. ...
Double blades come standard on the Dixie Choppers, at least the ones I tried, so if they cause a spindle problem they better cover it.

Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Im new to here so here little about me
I been riding DC since 1985 and since then I owned 9 DC and still have 8 of them
all still mows some each week somewhere
Only major repairs has been 1 replace a 20hp motor on my 1988 model 1 Replace a drive motor on my 95 model 1 Replace a wheel motor on my 05 model
Mowers I run
1988 22 hp kohler 50''
1992 22 hp kohler 60''
1995 25 hp kohler 60''
2001 26 hp EFI Kohler 60''
2005 28 hp EFI Kohler 60''
2006 33 hp Generac 72''
2007 35 hp Yanmar 72'' just bought Saturday at a Auction 149 hrs gave less 6k sweet deal sharp mower my first Diesel what a horse
2011 33 hp Generac 72''
Lawn size I mow are 1600sqft to 100 acres 74 lawns what i have 20% Res 80% Com
Things I like about DC over any brand

Sitting on mower like sitting in my Work truck unlike other brand sits like a small car

The speed of the mower has in forward and Reverse

The Chute Blocker

Hill climbing and mowing steep slopes (HD field trac Tires) only ones I ever found works the best

Stripes the mower leaves without a striper kit

Heavy grass discharge the grass nice with out clumps

Mulch leaves to dust

Things I do to mine once I buy them
Remove tires put on HD field trac
Change the factory blades out Put on set Oregon blades on remove any baffles and remove 1 blade spacer To set the blade higher in the deck for more vacum
Give deck forward pitch about 1/2'' what I like for my area
Change Hydro oil to 20w50 castrol
Add a flip switch for the seat so I can get off with out the mower dieing

Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc
09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Double blades come standard on the Dixie Choppers, at least the ones I tried, so if they cause a spindle problem they better cover it. might first time sec time they wont best thing do find a ditch pitch them Double blade in it
They only cuts power from your mower discharge will be less distance
I tried them even new ones had way to much vibration for my taste Get set Oregon Blades be 2/3 price of the factory blades and they will last you lot longer

Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc
09-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Who bought the company? I had thought it was family owned.Family owned the Sons Took it over unless that changed again

mark123
09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
might first time sec time they wont best thing do find a ditch pitch them Double blade in it
They only cuts power from your mower discharge will be less distance
I tried them even new ones had way to much vibration for my taste Get set Oregon Blades be 2/3 price of the factory blades and they will last you lot longer
I put double blades on my Toro and it discharges much further than a single blade. It also makes a nicer stripe. The clippings are smaller as well.

Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc
09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I put double blades on my Toro and it discharges much further than a single blade. It also makes a nicer stripe. The clippings are smaller as well.

Well they didnt work on my DC If works on ur Toro that good
You have the double lift blades or the single lift and the bottom blade a straight blade
I was talking about the DC brand of the X blades

Glen1
10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I have one of each but the Ex is a 52" walk behind with a velke. On flat turf or turf with slight grade, the Dixie smokes anything else on the market. On smaller properties or medium to steep grades, the Ex Mark is the mower of choice. I love them both and would highly recommend either of them!