PDA

View Full Version : New Intro

TKOs1998
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Dear Steve and Lawn Mower folks,

I want to thank you, Steve and all the lawn folks for the hard work on the lawn, because it really shows in all this awesome web site!!!

I am a formerly homeless veteran (18 yrs ago). Since then I have gotten my life back together with help from my friends, especially God. I started a nonprofit in 1998 from rural Arkansas near the city of Little Rock, that helps the poor, homeless, veterans, elderly and single parents. This brings me into the, "Why in the H-E double hockey sticks; am I doing this?" Well its simply. To raise money and get our nonprofit through this recession and hire some poor folks that need a hand up and NOT a hand out. I DO NOT GET PAID!!! I am a volunteer. So, Steve and all other lawn mower folks, we could use all the help we could get so as to make it in this business and help our charity thru this recession. We are a 501(c)3, means we are tax deductible.

We have a nice 455 John Deere Commerical Lawn Tractor with bagger (I Love it and Wax it :), 2 Weed Eaters, and Hedger. Pulled by my Babe mobile: 1993 Plymonth Voyager and trailar. Don't have any forms, cards or flyers and don't what to put in them. In an nut shell and I am using this term "NUT shell" loosely. There you have it; who we are, where we are located, what we are doing, what we have and don't have.

God Bless all of you,

Sincerely Green Thumb,

Rey Lopez
Formerly Homeless Veteran US Army SF

Mission Matthew 25: 40
PS: I give this web site a Thumbs UP!!!

Steve
08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Rey,

Welcome to our forum!

When you were working on this idea, did you weigh the pros and cons of making it a for profit venture vs. a non-profit venture? Would you have been able to do the same amount of helping either way?

What is your view on this?