PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Free Lawn Care through Realtors

myrlin
09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I saw this idea mentioned on this forum somewhere but can't find it now. It was an idea to approach real estate agents to market free lawn mowing for a year to the seller as an incentive to the buyer of the home. Has anyone ever tried this? Home sales have really slowed down and this sounds like it could be a good idea. Just wondering if anyone has tried & what type of letter would be good for this.
How would the LCO be paid? Would they have to wait for the home to sell and get paid out of the buyer's proceeds?
We are thinking about trying this.
Myrlin

John/Logo-Mechanix
09-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Another idea, maybe check the home sales listed in your local paper and drop off a door hanger or mail a flyer or post card.

Howard Roark
09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Realtors are notorious for not paying. I would suggest getting the selling realtor's credit card to bill this to if you can even get a deal like this to work.

We don't do any work for realtors unless we have their personal credit card on file to charge it too. We are not the only ones who live by this rule, and it is for a reason!

Steve
09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi myrlin,

I like the idea. It is very creative. I think Howard really brought up a good point.

It couldn't hurt to contact a few realtors to offer your services for such a promotion. Maybe you could offer a prepay package? If they wouldn't bite for a year, how about a month or a few months?

caroljamison
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your experience with REALTORS(r) and its obvious you've been burned more than a few times; however, it would be great if you did not place us all in one basket.

I am a REALTOR(r) and have always paid the people who have maintained the lawns of my listings. I've been in the business for over 12 years and have never experienced this situation. REALTORS(r) in YOUR area may be notorious for nonpayment; but not everyone is like that.

I've had horrible experiences with "lawn care professionals" who market themselves as "landscapers" as well; however, I do not say they are ALL notorious for this behavior. I've been left holding the bag in several situations. I've paid in advance and the lawncare "professional" never completed the job. He knows that I am not going to take him to small claims court for $40....so guess who loses? But I have never said they are ALL notorious for this behavior...but it is common in my area. So I'd say the shoe is on the other foot in my situation. But to say to never trust anyone in a specific profession?....how sad.

I have great admiration and respect for your profession. I have many friends in the business which is why I joined this forum. I'm helping a couple of them develop their businesses by creating flyers, postcards, invoices, letterhead, etcetera. Which, by the way, I am doing free of charge.

I firmly believe you've experienced the exception to the rule and not what's normal. I am truly sorry that you've had such horrible experiences. I pray that one day someone in my profession proves you wrong and holds up to their responsibilities.

I normally don't respond to these things; however, I do take offense when the profession I love is categorized into something/someone that can't be trusted. These are individuals...not the entire industry.

Steve
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi Carol,

Thanks for joining up and saying hello.

As a realtor, what kinds of co-marketing with other businesses have you found worked best for both of you?

What advice do you have for others when it comes to marketing to homeowners? What works, what doesnt?

swstout
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Realtors are notorious for not paying. I would suggest getting the selling realtor's credit card to bill this to if you can even get a deal like this to work.

We don't do any work for realtors unless we have their personal credit card on file to charge it too. We are not the only ones who live by this rule, and it is for a reason!

The property next door to me has been up for sale for a year now. The lawn has not been touched this year. The grass is 2-3 feet tall. The realtor asked me to mow the lawn to make the property look better. The lot is the same as mine = 2.88 acres.

I told her that it would have to mowed and mulched at least 3 times to make it more presentable and quoted her $300.00. The Real Et ate Company requires a $1,000,000.00 liability policy. She said, Ok, but I would have to wait to be paid until closing of the house.

She then said that she had quotes of under $100.00 dollars for the job! I asked her why then would she accept my bid of $300.00? She said, they didn't have insurance and that the company would not sign off on it.

She told me to go ahead and bill her. I said I wanted the money up front. I haven't heard from her since and the lawn is still 2-3 feet high.

Be very wary!

Steve

golfnpreacher
07-31-2009, 10:06 PM
I wonder if a "mechanic's lien" could be placed against the house for services rendered. I don't have any experience in this type of legal arena, so I'm just raising the question.

swstout
07-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I wonder if a "mechanic's lien" could be placed against the house for services rendered. I don't have any experience in this type of legal arena, so I'm just raising the question.

A mechanics lien will not be paid until vlosing.

Steve

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 07:38 AM
A mechanics lien will not be paid until vlosing.

Steve

I thought the idea was people were not getting paid, so while it might not get paid until closing, it would indeed be paid. I believe it must be paid in order to have a clear title.

Is is less expensive than going through small claim court?

swstout
08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I thought the idea was people were not getting paid, so while it might not get paid until closing, it would indeed be paid. I believe it must be paid in order to have a clear title.

Is is less expensive than going through small claim court?

I havn't filed a lien in years so I don't know the cost.

Yes, you will be paid at closing, but that could be a year or more down the road. The agent will make big bucks so it would be in his or her benefit to make the property presentable. If you do it for one property, they will expect you to do it for others. I guess if your cash flow is adequate, you could wait for your money, but with infaltion it will be worth less later.

Steve

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I havn't filed a lien in years so I don't know the cost.

Yes, you will be paid at closing, but that could be a year or more down the road. The agent will make big bucks so it would be in his or her benefit to make the property presentable. If you do it for one property, they will expect you to do it for others. I guess if your cash flow is adequate, you could wait for your money, but with infaltion it will be worth less later.

Steve

My thought was if I wasn't getting paid, then to file the lien, there would be no reason to file a lien if you were expecting to be paid at closing. However, if the option to delay payment until closing was presented, then I would adjust the rate accordingly.