PDA

View Full Version : Business Owner and collect unemployment?

rob8804
08-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and currently in the process of starting up my business. I'm looking into what type of business format to start up as and all the legal stuff. I wrote in my introduction section that I currently work as an employee and do landscaping on my own. Well what I have done in the past working like this is to collect employment when there was no work. So here is my question:

As a business owner is there any way to collect unemployment in the off season?? Or is that just the price an owner pays to reap the benefits of ownership?

I'm guessing here, but I would think that the only way it would be possible is if one paid unemployment while working? Can you do this as an LLC owner since you do pay yourself a wage??

picframer
08-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Not sure where you are located, in Canada EI varies from Province to Province, there is a program here in the Province I live in where self employeed people can obtain EI.

Steve
08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
As a business owner is there any way to collect unemployment in the off season?? Or is that just the price an owner pays to reap the benefits of ownership?

As far as I know, you can't collect unemployment when you are an owner. Ultimately you want to find services you can offer all year long so you stay as busy as you want to.

The Cleaning Doctor
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
quick Google search is all you need. These are just a couple of things I found but more specifically it is determined by the state you live in so you will have to check with them. You also have to be looking for a job during that time.

Disqualification from Unemployment

The following circumstances may disqualify you from collecting unemployment benefits, depending on state law:

* Quit without good cause
* Fired for misconduct
* Resigned because of illness (check on disability benefits)
* Left to get married
* Self-employed
* Involved in a labor dispute
* Attending School
================================================== =======

Basic Eligibility Requirements

You can receive benefits if you meet a series of legal eligibility requirements:

bullet
You must be monetarily eligible.

bullet
You must be totally or partially unemployed.

bullet
You must have an approvable job separation; the law imposes a disqualification for certain types of separations.

bullet
You must meet certain weekly legal requirements; weekly requirements include being physically and mentally able to work, being available for and seeking work*, and filing your weekly claim for benefits on a timely basis.

bullet
If you are identified as likely to exhaust unemployment benefits and are enrolled in the worker profiling and reemployment services program, you must fully participate in all assessment interviews, orientation, and referred reemployment services.

*Generally, an individual must be available for and seeking full-time work. Under certain conditions, a person who has a disability may be able to limit his or her availability for work to part time only. A claimant can qualify for unemployment compensation by: (1) providing documentation from a licensed physician which establishes that (a) he or she has a physical or mental impairment that is chronic or expected to be long-term or permanent, and (b) the impairment leaves him or her unable to work full-time, and (2) demonstrating that the impairment does not effectively remove him or her from the labor force.

LLCDallas
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
As far as I know, you can't collect unemployment when you are an owner. Ultimately you want to find services you can offer all year long so you stay as busy as you want to.

This is correct. You need to either offer services during the winter or budget your money accordingly.

robgee05
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
This is correct. You need to either offer services during the winter or budget your money accordingly.

I would check on legality first. But, if you have a spouse or relative you trust to put your business in the name of and pay yourself like an employee this may work.

picframer
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I would check on legality first. But, if you have a spouse or relative you trust to put your business in the name of and pay yourself like an employee this may work.

Has to be arms length, family member and especially a spouce is not.