PDA

View Full Version : Tools

workdog
08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Any one carry tools with them when their out on a job? Maybe just a small tool box?
If so what do you carry?

I plan on having with me:
Oil
Lube spray
Spark plugs (for all equipment)
Air filter cleaner
Pliers (for trimmers, etc.)
Ratchet set
Screwdrivers
Extra line for trimmers.

jasonw
08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Any one carry tools with them when their out on a job? Maybe just a small tool box?
If so what do you carry?

I plan on having with me:
Oil
Lube spray
Spark plugs (for all equipment)
Air filter cleaner
Pliers (for trimmers, etc.)
Ratchet set
Screwdrivers
Extra line for trimmers.

I carry everything in a $15 roll around box I got at walmart and keep behind my seat. Basically anything found in the shop is found in the truck. My father taught me years ago that being unprepared is unacceptable and in a service job you should have all the tools to do the job. This is why when he was a contractor he would carry everything from nails to a tile saw even if he hasn't framed or done tile in 3 years you could still find that tile saw in his truck. There have been more than a few times when having all these tools has been a saving grace for me, ESPECIALY during times of equipment breakdown. Nothing worse than not being able to finish a job because your mower broke. And no better proof of reliability when you fix the mower and finish the job.

picframer
08-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I bought those Stanley tool boxes, I think 6, every crew has one, they have a socket set, adjustible wrenches, screw drivers, tape, then the rest is specific to the crew, some will have special wrenches for chain saws, others extra pressure washing tips etc. Then each truck has a full set of tools and air tools.

jasonw
08-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I bought those Stanley tool boxes, I think 6, every crew has one, they have a socket set, adjustible wrenches, screw drivers, tape, then the rest is specific to the crew, some will have special wrenches for chain saws, others extra pressure washing tips etc. Then each truck has a full set of tools and air tools.

Good idea with crew specific tools. I only have one truck so I keep everything I may need and most the stuff I wont need in the one truck.

Hedgemaster
08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
One word - duct tape.

OK, that's two words, but if you tape them together it's just like one word.

:D

workdog
08-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone! :D