PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions.

workdog
08-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Well Im getting ready to buy some accessories for my tractor too use for the business. I cant decide on a few thing and was wondering if I could get some opinions?
Questions are:
Should I get a thatcher and offer that as a service?
Chemical sprayer? Worth the money?
Should I get another trailor/cart?
Spreader? Is it worth the $80 or should I use a push style?

and the final 2 questions:
Should I get one of those smaller gate style lawn tractors? For customers with smaller gates and small jobs.
Another trimmer? I have 2 but the Craftsman is about dead.

Thanks in advance!

LawnMoore
08-01-2010, 01:41 AM
I have really been looking for a core aerator, with the seader/fertilizer built in!

But the only ones i see and can find on the web are tine aerators(thecrappyones) with seeder/fert..

If i would find a core aerator with spreader within the next month or two i will buy that if not im buying a core aerator by itself, i think..

I might get a hedge trimmer instead but im not sure.

And i noticed neither of those are in your suggested items list..

What do you need that you dont have?

Well i do need a spreader, but first i need to learn what to spread and when!!

I do need a 34 inch Z but not that bad, and not just yet!

A sprayer would be nice as well, but are you licensed for this spraying?

On the thatching, i do not know much about those services, how much to charge and about how often there really needed (i think you dethatch about every 1-3 years) Some yards dont even need it at all if properly taken care of.

I would like some info on the thatcher as well, if anyone can help it will be needed ;)

picframer
08-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Two questions what size of tractor do you currently have and what services do you find people ask aboutthe most, that should be the focus for attachments when starting.

workdog
08-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I have really been looking for a core aerator, with the seader/fertilizer built in!

But the only ones i see and can find on the web are tine aerators(thecrappyones) with seeder/fert..

If i would find a core aerator with spreader within the next month or two i will buy that if not im buying a core aerator by itself, i think..

I might get a hedge trimmer instead but im not sure.

And i noticed neither of those are in your suggested items list..

What do you need that you dont have?

Well i do need a spreader, but first i need to learn what to spread and when!!

I do need a 34 inch Z but not that bad, and not just yet!

A sprayer would be nice as well, but are you licensed for this spraying?

On the thatching, i do not know much about those services, how much to charge and about how often there really needed (i think you dethatch about every 1-3 years) Some yards dont even need it at all if properly taken care of.

I would like some info on the thatcher as well, if anyone can help it will be needed ;)

So have I! Id love one!
Im pretty sure they had one at Lowes for around $260 or so. I think it was a 46". Im going to try and sneek over there today and look at them.

I dont know yet, I have a tractor, 2 good push mowers, 2 trimmers,1 drop spreader, 1 broadcast spreader, and 2 (got one for free last night) dump carts. Id like a tractor to use for when I get a aerator or other accessories. There is a Honda Riding Mower H2113 here for sale for $250 with out the deck I may look at for this purpose.

Thats the thing about a chemical sprayer is being licensed to do so.If I got one Id probably get licensed. But I dont want too drop $100 and not be able to use it but I guess I could always use it for personal use.

Thanks for the reply!

workdog
08-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Two questions what size of tractor do you currently have and what services do you find people ask aboutthe most, that should be the focus for attachments when starting.
I have a 42" Troy Built with a 20HP Kohler engine.
I think aerating and spreading would be the most asked services.

picframer
08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a 42" Troy Built with a 20HP Kohler engine.
I think aerating and spreading would be the most asked services.

Not trying to push Organic Products, Core Aeration is, IMHO and experience simply a patch for a lawn that has compavted soil, take a look at Nature's Lawn Care and the product Aerify, trust me this stuff really works and works well and the profit margin is far higher than core aeration, best part is you can buy a tow behind or a unit that attaches to your tractor and offer a host of spray products with a high profit margin.

workdog
08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Not trying to push Organic Products, Core Aeration is, IMHO and experience simply a patch for a lawn that has compavted soil, take a look at Nature's Lawn Care and the product Aerify, trust me this stuff really works and works well and the profit margin is far higher than core aeration, best part is you can buy a tow behind or a unit that attaches to your tractor and offer a host of spray products with a high profit margin.

Thanks for the info! :)

LawnMoore
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Thats funny, i actually ran across that company last night searching for organic products, as i learned its NOT REQUIRED to have a licence when applying Organic materials!

So i might just get a sprayer instead of a core aerator, and maybe look for a decent used pull behind spreader for seeding/granules..

I havent noticed the asking about those services as i have only been at it a month, but i SEE that most yards i go to, door to door, they need some help growing grass very badly.

I thank you as well for the information :)

picframer
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
You are welcome!

Two things, I can't tell you the number of spreaders we have tried and in all cases disappointed. I did an excavation job for a client three weeks ago, he had a 48" wide drop spreader with a shaker, I had never seen one but have been searching everywhere, I will post the name the next time it is around but OMG does it work well. The client was no longer in need of it, mint condition, he had paid $750 for it three years ago so I offered $350 and he accepted.

Next is a small gold mine for you, overseeding. For us it starts the last week of August and we seed right into the latter part of September, this is a very good money maker as we spray at the same time and look around the property for fall clean ups, trees near power lines etc.

Steve
08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Is the difference in that it has a shaker built in?

workdog
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Got a few more questions
Lawn roller? Worth it?
Cultivator, worth it?
Tow behind sweeper?
Edger? Worth it?
Tiller? Worth it?
Back pack blower or hand held?
And 2-stroke trimmer or 4-stroke?

Thanks for any info/opinions!

DillonB92
08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
you don't need a liscense to spray organic material? what about doing organic fertilizers ?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Got a few more questions
Lawn roller? Worth it?
Cultivator, worth it?
Tow behind sweeper?
Edger? Worth it?
Tiller? Worth it?
Back pack blower or hand held?
And 2-stroke trimmer or 4-stroke?

Thanks for any info/opinions!

Back Pack blower blows more I'll be taking over a large property this week cause the previous guy does not have anything bigger then a small handheld blower.
Dont think the trimmer matters much 2 stroke = more torque.
roller unless you do a lot of installs i would rent it.
edger I personally havent had much a call for it and the line trimmer can do a descent job if you practice.
As for sweepers, tiller, cultivator no exp in it so you would have to ask someone else.

picframer
08-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Roller - In my case yes, we install a lot of sod, not many lawns are totally flat so a tow unit is required, we also use rollers on driveways that we install.

Cultivator - no

Sweeper - I have a sweeper for our Stihl Kombi, works excellent. I looked at the tractor units, one for ours is around four grand, we do not sweep enough to offset the cost.

Tiller - we have two PTO driven units one is 48" and one 60", I would guess we do around 70 gardens/lawns a year. Not a big service offering however a real good money maker.

Blower - Backpack or if case is tight, look at the Stihl Kombi system, you can get so many attachments it's just amazing and they all work well including the blower. We use the Stihl BR600 backpack blowers, I currently have four as we seem to use them for so many things we do, including cleanup on wood chipping jobs.

Two or four stroke, probably personal preference, I like the two strokes.

workdog
08-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply's!