PDA

View Full Version : Busy 2 weeks

swstout
07-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi all,

Been pretty much tied up with my oldest son for the past 2 weeks. He was due to get out o the Navy August 14<SUP>th</SUP>. Only heís not. Yesterday he reenlisted! His reenlistment bonus is $88,000.00.

His reason for reenlisting was not the money though. He had been hired at the Progress Energy Plant here in Hartsville for $86K to start. His daughter is a hemophiliac and his wife has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks (Adult onset Chickenpox). While in the hospital, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is only 23.

While investigating his exit he tried to get everything in place. The only problem he encountered was health insurance coverage.. Tne most reasonable coverage he could get was $3.200.00 per month with massive deductibles!

He has 12 years service now and decided to go for his 20 as an officer and keep his med coverage.

In the last 3 years, he had been to Iraq 19 times. You know the Yellow Cake Uranjium Sadam never had? Well every time they found another stash, he had to go back to safeguard it and bring it home.. Fortunately, he wonít be doing that any more. Starting next month he will be an instructor at the Navy Nuclear Center in Charleston, SC. About 150 miles from here.

His wife and daughter will be moving in with us and he will have every weekend off. M-F 9 to 5. After his 20, he can stay on as a civilian instructor so I think he has really made out. Four years OTC and 8 years active duty. He is now 29 and will retire at the age of 37.

His wife goes in for surgery Monday and will be moving here after. We put on an addition of two rooms and just finished this afternoon. It was tough! Triple digit heat index every day! I lost 10 pounds (still have 15 to go to get back to 200. I seen to have lost it all in my waist (pants donít fit anymore.

My wife also got her Nursing teaching certificate last week. She had to finish one cource for he MS. So starting soon she will also be on a M-F schedule.
Steve

Steve
08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
WOW! That is a LOT of stuff going on over there!

How does the Navy handle medical benefits? Do you get benefits for life after you put in 4 years?

What about family? Do they offer that? Or do you have to be in there a certain amount of time for that?

swstout
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
WOW! That is a LOT of stuff going on over there!

How does the Navy handle medical benefits? Do you get benefits for life after you put in 4 years?

What about family? Do they offer that? Or do you have to be in there a certain amount of time for that?

You have family coverage only while on active duty. Otherwise, he would not be worried about coverage.

What about family? Do they offer that? Or do you have to be in there a certain amount of time for that?[/

At this time, nobody knows! Obamacare you know!

Steve
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
That is amazing!

I hope everything gets better for your daughter in-law!

cleancutlawncare5382
08-03-2010, 06:25 AM
After 20 yrs of full time service your son and his wife will be covered with TRIcare for life. I retired with 18 yrs reserve time and 5 yrs active, because I have reserve time I have to wait till age 60 to get TRIcare. Still not a bad deal.

Wish your daughter-in-law all the best.