PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Uniforms and Truck Identification

DillonB92
07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey guys. As some of you know this is my first year of being in business. I got a few shirts from Vista print in late May. Now it is starting to fade rapidly. I am looking to get some new shirts. Right now I am working on creating a logo. I am not sure exactly how this will work out. I am using the LOGO CREATOR on gopher since my budget wont allow for much extra money. I would like to have my logo printed on my new shirts. I never really had much contact with lawn care companies growing up so I have no idea what a professional lawn care person would wear. Any Ideas would be great? I'm torn between getting T-shirts or polo shirts. Any suggestions? Maybe a little of both. What kind of pants do companies wear with these shirts? Though this is my first year, I want to come back Bigger and Better next year. I also got two Truck Magnets for me business. They are doing well, but I am worried once i get my logo on my shirts it won't match my truck and then as I get to be more known people may think it is two different companies. Any suggestions on that? If i did lettering instead of magnets, how exactly does that work? does it come off easily? Any help you guys can give me concerning Uniforms and Truck Lettering/magnets would be great! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Norcal
07-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the shirts and pants yet. If you are going to spend the money I would put as much advertising on my truck as possible and on your trailer if you have one make your truck stand out a bigger outfit has 3 trucks all the same and you can tell them from a mile away how much buisiness do you think your going to get from wearing your shirt your truck can advertise for you all the time even if its parked at the parts store or on a busy street. Go with vinyl and go big it comes off with a little heat gun and looks like your going to be around for a while as for magnets.

You can get it done for what you probly would have paid for the shirts at a local shirt place that requires a min of like 12 to 15 good luck. Oh yeah are you a one guy show or do you have an employee if your only one guy put it on the truck

CheapNEasy
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
I get shirts that are embroidered and you dont have to worry about that fading out.

I pay average $4 a shirt and that includes the embroidery, have yet to find a better deal anywhere. You can order as few as 4 items, and you can mix the items if you like. Get 1 hat, 2 shirts and a bag....

JP Landscaping
07-28-2010, 12:07 AM
This is what I do:

I wear blue Dickies pants, black work boots, a white Tshirt with my company's logo on the front, and a white hat with the logo on it. I always carry at least one extra shirt in the truck in case i have to do an estimate before I get home in the evenings. Always tuck it in when doing estimates. The reason I went with this is because I used to use blue jeans but they always ripped when lifting heavy things. Also, sometimes I would wear polos but when it's 110 outside its too much. Though wearing a polo when doing estimates would be a good idea.

I have extra shirts that I sometimes have my helper wear. He likes cut offs and I don't want to have my company's shirrts cut off so most of the time he wears his own stuff but i'm always in "uniform."

I have 2 magnets on my truck with my logo and phone number.

DillonB92
07-28-2010, 02:34 AM
JP Landscaping: Do you wear dickies pants or shorts? Where I am it is usually about 95-100 when I am mowing. The heat never really bothered me except when its super humid outside. I wear jeans to school every day and half the time our A/C doesn't work so it really doesn't bother me. I must admit though, it is nice to have a breeze going across my legs with shorts. Thanks for the idea of the polo at estimates. I was thinking about mowing in them but was like that has to be TO HOT.

CheapNEasy: Thanks! I Hope to get some kind of shirt done this has helped me a lot. Let me know if you find a better deal any where.

Norcal: If I shouldn't get shirts now, then at what point should I get them? I'd like to have some kind of shirt on while I am mowing. Yes my company just a 1 guy. I sometimes have helpers though. Where do you get vinyls made at?

LawnMoore
07-28-2010, 03:22 AM
If i were you, or since i am me, i would..

Buy a few shirts at the least, even if u spend 10 bucks for a work shirt and it lasts a year, thats ok. It presents you as professional!

As for vinyl lettering, look for a print shop, might get shirts and vinyl lettering at the same place, if no luck try a window tinting service, some of the bigger ones can cut vinyl. if no luck still, look for a custom vehicle shop.

Try the yellowpages, look under advertising!

I wouldnt get 100 shirts, but i would atleast get 3 for you.

5-6 if u have somone u can give to that will wear it for advertising
or
5-6 if u have a helper, then atleast give 1-2 to someone you know to wear for advertising.

Those are my opinions, i hope they help.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow Imgoing to have to check out queensboro.com. But what we do is walmart or JC penny outlet store red polo shirts. I have to disagree with jp landscaping it is any where from 105 to 113 degrees currently and its nice to have the sun off my neck with the polos.

As for when to get shirts. Ya the lettering for your truck is important but having a uniform of some sort makes u stand out a little as well. Im usually a one man crew but the days I need a few people there no greater feeling when we are all in uniform. Atleast made me feel proud of the business and we felt big. No one has every seen us not in the red polos. In fact in my family/my baby girl, the joke is im the dude in red.

Steve
07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
The more professional you look, the better.

Can you pick a color or a couple of colors for your business graphic theme? Get everything looking uniform.

Have you thought about making your own tshirts with a silk screen kit? It's like $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00251JO8G

Hedgemaster
07-28-2010, 09:48 PM
The more professional you look, the better.

Can you pick a color or a couple of colors for your business graphic theme? Get everything looking uniform.

Have you thought about making your own tshirts with a silk screen kit? It's like $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00251JO8G

I guess I'm on the right track...

My "advertising" color scheme is bright (nearly neon) green, deep (nearly purple) blue, and white. I found pocket Ts at W-mart that are nearly identical in color (both the blue and the green) for $5. I picked up a few and will be looking at different stores for more.

I had considered looking into a do it yourself silk screen kit, but for right now, even just looking sharp without a name/logo is better than nothing. I'll be wearing one when I go to give an estimate tomorrow.

Steve
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
What color is your truck? If it's not that bright neon green, have you thought about painting it that color too? What about your trailer?

CheapNEasy
07-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey guys, also if you decide to order from QueensBoro let me know and I will send you a referral, itll save you $25 off your first order.... And well, it give me a little something too when you make an order. :)

DillonB92
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Steve: Well I am not sure really how to go about choosing colors. My logo is green and white. my truck is white and trailer black. My flyers that i originally passes out were like a neon green. I didn't know anything really about printing up shirts with a silk screen kit. Do you think the Graphic Comunications class at my high school will do ****s business cards or something like that?

thanks CheapNEasy!!!

Steve
07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Do you think the Graphic Comunications class at my high school will do business cards or something like that?

It doesn't hurt to ask them right? Who knows, you may find they are a very talented and helpful group!

Maybe they could come up with a uniform and truck and trailer color scheme too!

Norcal
08-05-2010, 08:19 PM
JP Landscaping: Do you wear dickies pants or shorts? Where I am it is usually about 95-100 when I am mowing. The heat never really bothered me except when its super humid outside. I wear jeans to school every day and half the time our A/C doesn't work so it really doesn't bother me. I must admit though, it is nice to have a breeze going across my legs with shorts. Thanks for the idea of the polo at estimates. I was thinking about mowing in them but was like that has to be TO HOT.

CheapNEasy: Thanks! I Hope to get some kind of shirt done this has helped me a lot. Let me know if you find a better deal any where.

Norcal: If I shouldn't get shirts now, then at what point should I get them? I'd like to have some kind of shirt on while I am mowing. Yes my company just a 1 guy. I sometimes have helpers though. Where do you get vinyls made at?

ANY SIGN SHOP IN TOWN REALLY THERE IS EVEN A PLACE IN OUR MALL YOU CAN GET THEM TO DESIGN IT

There motto is a business with no signs is a sign of no business just shop around find the best price and try to have them put it on

At what point should you get shirts or even a hole uniform whenever you can afford it after you get the signage on your truck I would say but i think its more important on the truck first

Hedgemaster
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
What color is your truck? If it's not that bright neon green, have you thought about painting it that color too? What about your trailer?

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac64/Pepwalker2/Lawn%20Care%20Handyman/104_5202.jpg

Paint this truck neon green? Methinks not. ;)

Although that wouldn't be a bad idea for a trailer. I'm going to start looking for a used one and I have to say that I've only ever seen "black" as the standard color on trailers around here. A neon green trailer would be noticed.

I'm also considering lettering for the back window - that, or the graphics that cover the entire window but allow you to see through from the inside. Everyone has white, vinyl lettering on their truck, so I'm leaning toward the more expensive graphics. I'll post something when it happens, but it will be a while.

Steve
08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm also considering lettering for the back window - that, or the graphics that cover the entire window but allow you to see through from the inside. Everyone has white, vinyl lettering on their truck, so I'm leaning toward the more expensive graphics. I'll post something when it happens, but it will be a while.

I will be looking forwards to it!

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-07-2010, 02:10 PM

I think there is an imbetween where you do like a window rap. Like you would do you truck but its just the window and its not the bland window white lettering.

Hedgemaster
08-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, and regarding the "green trailer" idea - I saw that Lowes offers a "Carry On" brand 5x8 wire mesh trailer, and I thought, "Well, there you go!", but after looking at the black ones on display in the parking lot, and seeing all the surface rust from just sitting there for a few months, I'm scrapping the "green" idea. Black will be much easier to touch up.

CheapNEasy
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
One reason for the black trailers to rust so quickly, well... Black covers so much easier than the green paint. You have to use less black to paint the trailer rather than the heavier green coating. Just a thought to consider...

Oh, and regarding the "green trailer" idea - I saw that Lowes offers a "Carry On" brand 5x8 wire mesh trailer, and I thought, "Well, there you go!", but after looking at the black ones on display in the parking lot, and seeing all the surface rust from just sitting there for a few months, I'm scrapping the "green" idea. Black will be much easier to touch up.

Hedgemaster
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
One reason for the black trailers to rust so quickly, well... Black covers so much easier than the green paint. You have to use less black to paint the trailer rather than the heavier green coating. Just a thought to consider...

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but it sounds like you said what I already said.

Yard Elements
12-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure how many of you have Brickman's in you area, they are a national company that services places like lowe's etc. They were dickies with there colors and dickies tops with name tags and hats with a logo. there trucks are two tone, there company colors. They look awesome. They are pretty impressive. they have monster trailers with three ztr's, two commercial walk behinds, tons of other equipment. I have never seen another company (not even mine :( come close.

Growing Green
12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
This is taking this conversation to a different place, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what some good shoes would be. I'm going to be walking alot right now since I don't have riding mowers and want them to be able to last and be VERY comfortable on my feet. Do any of you have any suggestions? Don't need steel toe.

Matt

Steve
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Did you every see these?

Do you think they would be worthwhile?

http://www.lawngrips.com/default.html

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Timberland Pro Line has some great chioces. Anti slip anti fatige and steel toe is what I got, held up real nice so far.

Growing Green
12-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys. My feet will really appreciate it. :)

Matt

The Cleaning Doctor
12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Everyone has white, vinyl lettering on their truck,

This is because of the tinted window. Contrast makes it easily readable. That being said, I HATE white vinyl lettering. LOL

The color that I really like for a tinted window is Yellow. Very nice contrast and you can also get it reflective so it sticks out at night. Talk about in your face... LOL

Does anyone remember the old WilTel vans? They had the Knight on a horse.... They were light grey on a white van. At night I had no problem finding my house from a block away because that knight was reflective and stuck out better than a sore thumb.

Growing Green
02-24-2011, 05:28 AM
This is taking this conversation to a different place, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what some good shoes would be. I'm going to be walking alot right now since I don't have riding mowers and want them to be able to last and be VERY comfortable on my feet. Do any of you have any suggestions? Don't need steel toe.

Matt

I'm going to be buying shoes this week. My nike shoes are not cutting it. So would everyone agree that Timberland Pro Line shoes are the best to where? I don't need steel toe.

Thanks,
Matt

Steve
02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Do you know what size of that shoe you'll need? Have you tried them on yet? You could order them online if they have a good enough discount.

DillonB92
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
What kind of Pants do you guys wear? I was reading in some places they wear khaki but is that like Khaki dress pants Khaki Cargo pants or what? Does anyone wear Shorts? My Color Scheme is Green and White.

Hedgemaster
03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
What kind of Pants do you guys wear? I was reading in some places they wear khaki but is that like Khaki dress pants Khaki Cargo pants or what? Does anyone wear Shorts? My Color Scheme is Green and White.

Ugh. I despise wearing long pants, but I'm guessing that as I get into this more heavily, grass covered legs from trimming will get old real quick. Maybe I can pick up some stripper pants that I can "tear off" after trimming. :D (with shorts worn underneath, of course)
Hellllooo ladies...
:p

Ummm... I wouldn't invest in "dress pants" for mowing lawns. Look for some lightweight cargo pants or something of that nature. Military BDU style pants with "ripstop" fabric in a solid color may work well.

DillonB92
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
That's what i was thinking about the dress pants seemed a little $$$ to just be staind. I wore shorts all last season. Grassy legs did get a little annoying but i twas a heck of a lot cooler! Thanks I'll keep looking

Shark1611
03-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I get our shirts from QueensBoro.com

The are embroidered and you dont have to worry about that fading out.

They have weekly specials, I usually hit them for the Free shipping and 40% off specials they do about once a month, sign up for an account and they will send you emails for the specials.

I pay average $4 a shirt and that includes the embroidery, have yet to find a better deal anywhere. You can order as few as 4 items, and you can mix the items if you like. Get 1 hat, 2 ****s and a bag.... or 400 shirts... lol

We have a logo. What is there tape set up charge?

CHEESE2009
02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm going to be buying shoes this week. My nike shoes are not cutting it. So would everyone agree that Timberland Pro Line shoes are the best to where? I don't need steel toe.

Thanks,
Matt

They are heavy... Forget about em'

Hedgemaster
02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I hear ya on the lightweight shirts...

I was gearing up to have shirts printed, but I sweat like a pig and my green t-shirts look like hell when I get half way through the day - all soaked in sweat.

I found one of those "breathable" athletic shirts on sale at Kmart and gave it a try. I LOVED it. It's SO light and the combination of the wicking material and the yellow color keeps me looking good all day. They DO snag easily though and aren't going to hold up to rough work, but for pushing a mower around, they are just fine.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/046B031093080001?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Unfortunately, I found it too late in the season to get any more and they don't seem to be available now. I may look for an alternative at another store. I'd prefer to have printed shirts, but I'd much rather be comfortable as I work and not look disgusting when I do happen to see a client.

CheapNEasy
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
We have a logo. What is there tape set up charge?

There was no setup fee for the first logo. And you can change the colors of the stitching at no charge as well.

GoingGreenOutdoor
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Just got a shipment in, take a look! THEY ARE AWESOME! The deal of the day is always great and customer service is remarkable! They even sent us extra items just to say thanks!

Shark1611
02-22-2012, 08:25 AM
On my shirts and caps all i have is my logo. Do you think a phone number or town needs to be on these or does it get to be too much to read? Thoughts?

Steve
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I would guess it all depends on how it looks to you. How effective would it be to have the town and phone number on a shirt? How often would people be reading that and writing it down?

Shark1611
02-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I would guess it all depends on how it looks to you. How effective would it be to have the town and phone number on a shirt? How often would people be reading that and writing it down?

guess your right, it would be too much information.

Hedgemaster
02-23-2012, 03:46 PM
On my shirts and caps all i have is my logo. Do you think a phone number or town needs to be on these or does it get to be too much to read? Thoughts?

It depends on what you're printing on.

On a hat, a logo is plenty - same for the chest design on a polo shirt.

If you're talking about the back of a t-shirt, there's no reason you can't put a phone number on there.
A website would be good too... I'd remember a website a lot easier than I'd ever remember a phone number if I saw it like that.

Shark1611
02-24-2012, 12:11 AM
It depends on what you're printing on.

On a hat, a logo is plenty - same for the chest design on a polo shirt.

If you're talking about the back of a t-shirt, there's no reason you can't put a phone number on there.
A website would be good too... I'd remember a website a lot easier than I'd ever remember a phone number if I saw it like that.

Thank you I just might do that.

mac83
01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
i run a blue truck with white vinyl lettering
a red trailer 7x12 with a dovetail

orange T-shirts work shirts
Blue Polo's for bidding

i just use my local vinyl and tshirt shop in my area

J.A.S.LawnService
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
This will be my second season in business. Last season I wore cargo shorts and a cut off t-shirt. This year I am ordering t-shirts and polos. I have three magnets on my truck that I got from vista print. I do not recommend magnets from vista print. I am on my second set due to peeling. I will be ordering bigger magnets from friend.

If you have not heard of odesk.com, I highly recommend. I had my logo designed and email to me within three days. Basically you join, post job with what you are willing to pay, review interested candidates,grant job and to work they go. I payed ten dollars for my logo design.

Hope this helps
Paco

Moki
03-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Only logo is on my baseball hats bought from Vista Prints the logo matches my business cards also bought from Vista Prints.

Crazy as it may sound I purchase my uniforms from Costco they are some of the best quick dry/wicking outdoor clothes that I have ever bought but at a fraction of the cost =

Pants - BC Clothing zip off quick/dry hiking pants tan and/or OD green = $19.99 each

Shirts - long sleeve Avia white and/or green wicking CoolMax shirts = 14.99 each

Socks - hiking socks 4/package = $9.99 each

Polar fleece 1/4 zipper heavy shirt - lime green = $12.99 each

Other than the hats I feel have no need for a logo on the cloths as far as I am concerned it is a total waste of money all I want is the customer to see that we are dressed in one of the colour combo's so they know that we belong on the grounds.

I hired a new fellow this morning I gave him one pair of tan and one pair of OD green pants, a white and a green long sleeve shirt, 1 lime green polar fleece 1/4 zipper shirt, two pairs of socks and one baseball hat.

If he wants more of these clothes he can go to Costco and buy them himself.