PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating a price

clandscaping44
07-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Does anybody have any negotiating tips, for buying lawn equipment from the dealers? any will be appreciated

MAKLawnCutter
07-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Does anybody have any negotiating tips, for buying lawn equipment from the dealers? any will be appreciated

ANY time you are negotiating, you need to know about the item. Always go in knowing about the item you are purchasing, ALWAYS!

You should also at times act like you know more than you do, even if you have ONLY JUST READ THE PAMPHLET! Sales/service people are always intimidated by you if you know more than you do.

I recently purchased a brand new Wright Stander 54" "Hi Adjust" deck from a local dealer. His tag was for 9499.00$.
I own a 36" wright stander so, i know how the equipment operates. I am fairly good with tinkering and figured out in about 30seconds how to lower and raise the deck and found on my phone a optional seat that is offered (one company sells it on it.). By the time i walked out, i had the mower, seat, bagger unit and a spare set of blades for 8700$, out the door price. I fibbed on the bagger unit and showed him pricing on the seat.

Its all in how you represent your self, and CASH TALKS.

Matt

Steve
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Matt,

That is great! What kind of tips do you have for a lawn care business owner to be able to recreate that and walk out with a cheaper price?

StartALawnCareBusiness
09-19-2010, 05:09 PM

I wanted to revisit this old post from July.

If you are planning to purchase new lawn care equipment at any point in the next 6 months, right now is probably the very best time to negotiate your price.

2010 (and even some 2009) models are still on the showroom floor at many dealers. They DO NOT want to hold this equipment over the winter. Cash-in-hand and a bit of negotiating will get you a great price on equipment right now.

So, start snooping around your lawn care dealers to see what equipment they are trying to move before winter. You will be able to get a great price and have an almost new lawn mower once spring arrives.

Keith

Steve
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Is there a certain % discount that should be the goal? Is there a certain area they have to play with but a certain point where they can't go any further discounting?

Reminisce32
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Is there a certain % discount that should be the goal? Is there a certain area they have to play with but a certain point where they can't go any further discounting?good question. any answers?

picframer
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
good question. any answers?

Depends on the brand, your size, how much they want your business because of your size and what you are buying. I know the discount I get and it`s pretty steep but I also know how much I spend at the dealership.

clandscaping44
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
goin back to steves question on certain % discount. I was thinking of maybe from 25% to 50% discount

Steve
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
What was the biggest discount you ever got on a piece of equipment and what part of the season did you get it in?

clandscaping44
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
realisticly i have never gotten any discounts before. the only thing I got at the dealer was a redmax ebz 5100, and I got an echo trimmer srm 225 that works like a charm, and a craftsman lawn mower which my parents got at a garge sale for $25 that was a little rusty performance wise but I have since been able to improve on that dramaticly. But hopefully next season I have enough money to purchase an exmark 21 walk-behind mower or a toro commercial 21 walk-behind, those run in my area I would have to say anywhere from $400-$700 I think but thats a rough outline of the price. But my main goal is to spend less money on equipment but increase profits :)