PDA

View Full Version : Motor Troubles again LOL

polarisrider4life
07-24-2010, 02:42 AM
how's it going everyone. I have a 2000 dixie chopper zero turn with no hour meter, but if i had to guess, i'd say the hours are up there like over 3,000 i'd bet. Once a year for the last 3 years including this one, mowers been in the shop and they say both head gaskets are blown every year on it and i've brought it to a different shop each year so i figure there not lying to me. I'm just trying to get some help understanding where i'm currently at with this motor. It burns about a quart of oil per 5 gallons of fuel, has slowly been losing power under heavy strain like blades going, cutting thick lawn at full speed, i'm popping in new plugs once a week, light blue smoke out exhaust under exceleration with blades on and engine runs rough like a missing- boug down type sound but will recover and sound normal if strain on motor is reduced. So the question....Do i just have blown head gaskets again, or are my rings just completely toast and i need to rebuild the darn thing and there is no way around it? I was hoping i might be able to put a band-aid on the problem by putting on new head gaskets until i have the time to rebuild it over winter....sound like a possible route? thanks for your thoughts!

Steve
07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
If its burning oil, I would think it would be the rings.

Can you take apart the engine and change the rings?

Otherwise, you could keep going the way you are going.

Clean the plugs as often as needed and keep adding oil. Maybe a thicker oil would lessen the amount seeping through the rings?

hounddog
07-26-2010, 03:42 AM
If its burning oil, I would think it would be the rings.

Can you take apart the engine and change the rings?

Otherwise, you could keep going the way you are going.

Clean the plugs as often as needed and keep adding oil. Maybe a thicker oil would lessen the amount seeping through the rings?

as a former tech i don't like the idea of a thicker oil it will increase heat and cut down on lube which damage heads quicker. the best course of action is to pull the head and inspect the bore to ring clearance and check for any out of round in the walls. a band aid will only cause greater problems down the road. If the walls are true larger rings and pistons might help but running the rest of the season could do damage very quickly

polarisrider4life
08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
as a former tech i don't like the idea of a thicker oil it will increase heat and cut down on lube which damage heads quicker. the best course of action is to pull the head and inspect the bore to ring clearance and check for any out of round in the walls. a band aid will only cause greater problems down the road. If the walls are true larger rings and pistons might help but running the rest of the season could do damage very quickly

well for the last 3 years i have brought it into a dealer for the tune up and hydraulic fluids to be changed and each year they tell me my head gaskets are shot and that they need to be replaced and so they do and power is restored for a little while but then in the fall you feel less power and the next season it all goes to hell and i get this stuff to deal with each year about this time. Why have 3 different dealers not noticed that the rings and bore are no good???? It's like i thought i was paying them to take care of me because they "knew what they were doing"???? haha

jasonw
08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I would start by questioning why you are blowing head gaskets every year? Beating on it? an underlieing issue causing them to blow? Did the former owner know about this and or have the same problem?

Steve
08-08-2010, 04:09 AM
It's like i thought i was paying them to take care of me because they "knew what they were doing"???? haha

What did you decide to do?