PDA

View Full Version : Whiped Out!!!

bwood99x
07-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Guess this is where we can vent some frustrations. I started my business a little bit ago, and finally had an enclosed trailer and all my equipment about paid off. Next step was to save for quality rider (Im still push mowing), after a run in with a brand new cheap zero turn that broke down after ten minutes (I was able to return). Anyways, I was feeling good....until someone broke the locks off the trailer and stole everything!!! Guess Im lucky they didnt make off with my $2,000 trailer. So now Im back to starting all over again. What I hate most is that I dont know what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

picframer
07-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Try a motion activated alarm that you can arm and disarm from a secret location on the trailer, I use this in combo with GPS on all the bigger gear, I also have signs on the trailer and equipment that it has a security system that is monitored.

You can pick up a PRI, Panel and control panel that is battery operated for under a hundred bucks and it's really easy to wire in. I use the product we do as I still own part of a Security Monitoring Station and we have the rights to this GPS product, it would be costly for the set up we have however there are many products that will do the job at a fraction of the cost.

bwood99x
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I will check those out. I actually forgot I thought of getting a deer camera (camera that is triggered by motion) that emails you a picture when it goes off...and setting it inside the trailer. That's all I could think of. I will definately look into those products you recommended!!

CheapNEasy
07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
INSURANCE! Locks keep honest people out, if they want it, THEY WILL GET IT!

I went through a recent theft, lost all but my zero turn mowers and trailer.

It was heart breaking to say the least, I had all new stihl equipment. They even stole my old equipment off my backup trailer.

Best advice I can give you, get your business license, and insurance! I pay $1200 a year for my insurance, it is well worth it.... Equipment get stolen, you get a check and buy new.

There have been many thefts in the area here. One of my friends who also does lawn service, had his truck, trailer mowers (except the one he was on) and everything stolen, HE WAS SERVICING A CLIENT.

They busted the steering column, and drove his truck away as he came from the back to front yard cutting!

Another company was at a redlight, a truck pulled up behind them, 3 guys got out and unloaded all they could hoped in their truck and drove away! OMG These people are crazy!

Watch yourself out there, lots of people looking to make a fast move and cost you everything.

Steve
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
What I hate most is that I dont know what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

Where is the best place to park a trailer at night? Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize break ins by parking in a certain way? Or under certain conditions?

brian'slawncare
07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I would suggest getting key locks for all of your equipment and chain the to the floor/side of your trailer. Use that as a backup in case someone gets in your trailer. Also, use a security device mentioned before. And buy top of the line locks for the door. And It would be smart for the Deer Cam also. Now, you have 4 lines of defense for those nasty little crooks. Fourtunently I don't have to worry about any of this because I keep my stuff in my garage and push my walk behind around the neighborhood. Yes, I only mow around my neighborhood. I wish I had a truck but I'm only 13.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
If it is an enclosed trailer just put your rottweiler in there at night. You can also get motion detectors that will set off a recording of a barking dog..... Put the speaker in the trailer.

Tree stand and Shot gun
Tree stand and rifle
Tree stand and bow

See a pattern?:D

thorntonlawn
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
First thread on gopher. Thanks. Insurance. Crooks will get it in under two minutes, locks or no locks. Keep trimmers and blowers locked

JMADEWELL09
07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I have had gas cans stolen from my truck/ trailer parked in my yard. I back in my turck to my car port so my trailer is only 10 feet way from my front door. I make sure that the blowers and gas cans and anything not locked down gets put in our shop at night. I have also bought and installed a 4 camera dvr sullivance system that record everything 24/7 we have 3 cameras on our truck and yard and 1 in our shop. I also have a attack german shepherd dog( she has tried to attack people before) she barks and carries on when anyone comes down our road i live on a private road we have only 3 people that live down the road so when we see cars on the sullviance system we go out and check to see who it is.

ExpoAware
07-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I use cable locks with barrel combos. Not the most secure but as stated above, if they want, they will get it. I just want to slow them down long enough for me to get a chance to act.

swstout
07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Post a sign!

Keep out! Survivors will be prosecuted!!!

Steve

NewLeafca
07-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Where is the best place to park a trailer at night? Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize break ins by parking in a certain way? Or under certain conditions?

It all depends on what you have. I have an enclosed trailer now also. We have a carport and I have a large work shed at the end of the carport. At night when I am done I back the trailer into the carport up as close to the shed as possible. This way they can't get the back door of the trailer open without moving it out. The trailer is locked and does have an alarm on it.

I also always disconnect the trailer from the truck and use a tongue lock on the trailer. I figure if the trailer and truck are still hooked together then it makes it easy for them to still. Most thieves want to be as quick as possible so if you make it hard for them to get things then they go somewhere else that is an easier score. After the truck and trailer are parked then my wife parks her car in front of them both.

Also when I am at a job and can not see the trailer and truck they both are always locked up.

Steve
07-24-2010, 03:50 PM
The trailer is locked and does have an alarm on it.

What kind of trailer alarm do you recommend?

NewLeafca
07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
What kind of trailer alarm do you recommend?

I have a Trailerguard ELS alarm. It is nice because it is solar-powered. The alarm is in a steel enclosure to make it weather proof. It has an adjustable vibration sensor and it also has hardwired door sensors. When the alarm goes off there is a siren sound, the marker and trailer lights flash, and it also locks up the trailer brakes. Mine cost about $275.00. But I think any basic system is a deterrent most criminals want fast, quiet and easy access. So anything that changes this is a plus.

CHEESE2009
07-25-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm usually not secure with my equipment.

While at lawns, everything is available to take - keys are left either in the ignition or secret area on the truck.

While parked at a store or anywhere I'll be more than an hour - I put everything I can in the bed of the truck (which has a box cover with its own locking mech)

Trimmers, blowers, ztm key, gas, mower bags.. etc...

Everything else is tied in so ridiculously even I'd give up trying to untie it after 5 minutes.

At the end of the day, mowers go in the garage - other tools get locked in the shed.

My trailer is ALWAYS locked.

When it's on the truck, it's locked. When it's parked without the truck, its locked.

While at home, no one can steal my stuff - 4 loud dogs who'll bark at anything close to the curb at any time.

Plus, I'm pretty wacko always looking out my windows every few minutes & I'm able to jump into the action from the window if need be - I've done it several times... Windows baby! Doors are soooo last year... lol

Chachi
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Glock 9mm and Red Bone Coon hound works well :) My trailer fits in my garage so it goes in there for storage.

jasonw
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow the biggest problem I have ever had was the tree in my side yard dripping sap on my truck. I hate hearing about all these thefts. Makes me feel lucky to live in a nice area where this dose not occur and have a locked up side yard for the truck trailer and everything. I smile every time I see a black and white drive past about every 30 minutes.