PDA

View Full Version : Skipping Lawns

CHEESE2009
07-21-2010, 10:47 PM
The weeks have only been getting more difficult as the season goes on, I can't find a break!

It either rains when I'm ahead just to put me behind - now we've had 2 days of rain & I'm STILL 2 days behind.

I put a bruise on my on my accounts but nothing has really gotten done. I'm tired of trying to get ahead after the rain, it's exhausting and irritating.

So I went to go pick up my Wednesday helper, before I got to his home the stupid truck demanded oil... Sped to the shop & had oil put in... Little things like this really piss me off big time when I'm behind.

My helper did absolutely nothing today.

50% of a backyard (drove the mower across the lawn ruining the stripes when he was finished:mad:)

80% of a backyard, which made me have to trim EXTRA as he sat in the truck which had to be running for the A/C.

0% of a backyard, he drove the mower all over the lawn without the blades running for 45 minutes.

30% of a backyard, he did a few lines & didn't even bother to check how poorly his work was before he dragged the mower back to the truck.

Not only was this very frustrating, I can't get anything done! I'm always running back & forth because he needs this or that.. "The lawn mower stopped & I can't start it" because his arms are too damn short.

He's always seen sitting in the truck being useless.

I'm losing my mind & fear for the next person I hire.

Kid: So are you paying me right away like last week?

Scott: :mad: yes, how many lawns did we do?

kid: seven

Scott: Try four lawns (checking schedule) - here's $35.00 for the imaginary seven lawns.

Useless....

Question: When is skipping lawns "OK" ? And how can you get away with doing it? I can't beat the rain, but customers just don't understand.

CheapNEasy
07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Not to seem like an ***.... But hire someone who can actually do the job.

Pay them on commission, if you make $30 off of the lawn, pay them $10, pay the company $10 and pay yourself $10.

Let them know they are not paid by the hour, find someone that can work the equipment, kids are kids, they dont know how to work the equipment and will not show the needed attention. They dont need to be on your most prized company asset, THE MOWER, to much damage can be done with this equipment. Scalping, debris being thrown, hit a car or house, damage sprinklers etc... etc... etc...

Pick up a new helper, take him to a test yard, your or their home, give them a weedeater and put them to work.

You need to be mowing, let them do the grunt work, sit back on the mower and "relax" (hahaha not too relaxing but anyway).

Trust me, if you find someone capable of doing the work right, pay them fairly and the job will get done.

I ran 2 mowers on my new account, 88 properties, paid my helper $880, $10 per yard, .25 acre lots. Well, the yards look great, my helper is happy, we did all 88 in two days, and I still put over $1500 in my pocket.

You get what you pay for, and people act their age.

MAKLawnCutter
07-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Mr. Cheese (sounds awesome)

I have actually had a buddy that did the same thing on a few lawns, till i whipped him into shape by telling him he had to pay me for each yard he didnt complete, since in toe, he was in my truck to help me... help him make money.

It took about two weeks to train him to where he didnt take an edger through someones perfect lawn, or destroy someones irrigation (i do take out of pay for f-ups).

In the line of business, always take into consideration that your helper is "stupid" even if they arent. You are the only employee of your business that is NOT replaceable. Everyone can be replaced, except for you.

Come rain or shine, i am at someones yard on time, even if i leave a note that will probably be full of running ink on the door "due to weather conditions i didnt get to you". You are never "really" behind, unless you have 13lawns a day 7 days a week and you are missing a day. Then you are behind, other wise, plan to work an extra day so when it happens, you arent depressed.

You will burn your self out my friend, rely on yourself only, no other employees, get one that is worth a damn, dump the short armed little **** :). Relieve your stress a tad.

picframer
07-22-2010, 05:44 AM
You have a few options, commission per lawn completed being one of them rather than salary, I seem to recall in another thread you were paying this young fellow $13.50 hr which is very good for someone so young.

Have you laid down your expectations and those of each customer, as many of us know it can take three trips to a new clients home to really get the process down as every lawn is different, trimming at some can be a nightmare etc.

Hire someone your own age or older. You are a Port City, did you consider contacting the military or posting a job opening ad there as at least here in Canada, many get retirement in their early 40's. I have had many military people contact me asking if we were hiring. School bus drivers are another excellent source which I have used in the past.

polarisrider4life
07-24-2010, 02:30 AM
CheapNEasy, you say kids are kids, but i felt it was my place to put a few kind words in about that statement. I'm 17 and own my own lawn business with a commercial grade zero turn, 10hp little wonder and all the other tools of the trade and my customers are very pleased with my work for the last 6 years. MOST kids are just kids when it comes to being able to work the equipment of the trade and know what your doing, but like anything else, there is always a few kids in the bunch that are worth there weight.....you just haven't found them yet. Not busting your walnuts but just mearly saying :D

LawnMoore
07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
CheapNEasy, you say kids are kids, but i felt it was my place to put a few kind words in about that statement. I'm 17 and own my own lawn business with a commercial grade zero turn, 10hp little wonder and all the other tools of the trade and my customers are very pleased with my work for the last 6 years. MOST kids are just kids when it comes to being able to work the equipment of the trade and know what your doing, but like anything else, there is always a few kids in the bunch that are worth there weight.....you just haven't found them yet. Not busting your walnuts but just mearly saying :D

Thats cool, let me lol and ask how is your comercial grade zt a 10hp?

Im just merely giggling and wondering, could you please let me know if you made a typo, or what company actually makes a comercial z with only 10hp motor?

Not Busting your Coconut seeds just curious! ( i would like to see a link to it, as i may want to purchase one ) or just the name brand and model

E/ oh and Cheese, i have heard of ppl doing this so called skipping lawns b4, and it wasnt good when i heard about a company doing so. However if you absolutely had to, i still wouldnt unless you made sure the homeowner knew about it, and skipped there bill that time as well.

Skipping lawns can be VERY VERY bad for your business' reputation!

CheapNEasy
07-26-2010, 10:06 AM

There is a difference in being 17 owning a small business and being 11 and working FOR a small business.

To be honest, I dont hire "kids", as well... my insurance would drop me in a heart beat lol.

If you are building your own company at a younger age, 17 isnt really that young... But 11 is quite a ways away from 17. Eleven year olds dont quite have the same mentality someone at-least able to drive does.

polarisrider4life
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=LawnMoore;74864]Thats cool, let me lol and ask how is your comercial grade zt a 10hp?

Im just merely giggling and wondering, could you please let me know if you made a typo, or what company actually makes a comercial z with only 10hp motor?

The mower is a Chopper with a 25hp kohler and the little wonder blower is a 10hp. I think you may have read to fast....a 10hp zt would be cool though! I'd take the cutting deck off and fly around my neighborhood pissing off the people i don't like lol

LawnMoore
07-29-2010, 05:31 AM
[QUOTE=LawnMoore;74864]Thats cool, let me lol and ask how is your comercial grade zt a 10hp?

The mower is a Chopper with a 25hp kohler and the little wonder blower is a 10hp. I think you may have read to fast....a 10hp zt would be cool though! I'd take the cutting deck off and fly around my neighborhood pissing off the people i don't like lol

lol i must have read wrong, i do read quite fast sometimes to soak up all this information ;)

rjtanner
07-29-2010, 12:46 PM
just fire the kid and get real help

when u hire someone else make sure they know u mean business or there gone and ur not afraid to do it and explain how this other POS had no work ethic.

also let them know what if they have the correct work ethic ur looking for there are chances for advancement in the company or a raise once they prove there self.