PDA

View Full Version : 41 years ago

swstout
07-20-2010, 10:51 PM
41 years ago today, my father, mother,3 brothers and 2 sisters were glued to our 14” B&W TV. Neal Armstrong was stepping on to the moon on both if the channels we got. 4 year late, I bought my 1<SUP>st</SUP> computer; a Tandy TRS-80 with 4k on memory. I upgraded it to 16k and thought I would be set for life!

I have seen the coming of cable TV, microwave ovens, 8-track music, the internet, gas at $0.23 per gallon, a minimum wage of $1.75, Budweiser long necks at $0.25 at a bar, VHS, DVD, cell phones, GPS, social network sites. and forums. How does this make me feel? OLD!!

Just imagine what will come in the next 5, 10, 15 years.
In 1969, there wasn’t even locks on our doors. Now you need locks on locks. You could drink at 18 (except on election day) but couldn’t vote. Blue laws forbid the sale of dairy products on Sunday but liqure stores were open. You could get a new Corvette Stingray fo $6,000.00. Phone calls were $0.10 (no time limit), Cokes were $0.10.. Milk was delivered to your door every day (with the cream on top (not homogenized).

Kate Smith’s rendition of “God Bless America” was the standard for all sporting events ( if you haven’t herd it, you should). Jay and the Americans were a local band that I could go to hear at the Saturday night block dnce for a dime. 20 years later I heard them at Big Daddy’s of $25.00.

In 1969 $1.75 per hour went a lot further than $12.00 per hour today.

41 years ago we landed on the moon. It just got me reminiscing!

Steve

picframer
07-21-2010, 04:22 AM
I met Mr. Armstrong back in 1982 in Calgary, I was working in the mail room at the bank at the time, hadn't been there long, the bank had bought a couple of tables at a celebrity dinner during the Calgary Stampede, he was one of two celebrities at our table, I mainly listened but he was a super fellow as I recall.

It's funny, one of my helpers went into the service station to buy us a grape pop yesterday while I filled, when he came out and we were driving away, he said I can't believe two pop's cost almost $4.00, I laughed and said yea, when I was a kid you could get a pop and bag of chips for $0.25, and gas was around $0.30 a gallon:)

Steve
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Steve,

We all tend to think technology is constantly improving our lives but as you look back, do you feel there were better times before all our technological improvements?

swstout
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Steve,

We all tend to think technology is constantly improving our lives but as you look back, do you feel there were better times before all our technological improvements?

The time before all the technical improvements was not necessarily better. It was slower paced, people were more unconcerned with their life and much more resistant to change. Business, government and people resisted change much more than today.

For example, I remember the invention by Bell Labs of the transistor. One transistor could do the work of 1,000 vacuum tubes. The American government wouldn’t support the development of the transistor industry. American business said, it really isn’t worth developing because the vacuum tube was well established and viable. Bell Labs sold the patent to Japan. 4 years later Bell Labs developed the integrated circuit, a device that could do the work of 1,000 transistors with the same resistance . Again it was sold to Japan. American had to play catch-up for the next 20 years and had to pay royalties to use the technology we developed.

Constant improvement dictates constant change and change has always been fought tooth and nail!

Because of the electronic industry losses our government and industries learned to accept change forcing people to do the same. This changed the lives of everyone. Life became faster, the world became smaller, and government became bigger. Innovation and technology changed the way we live and how we look at life.

Steve

Steve
07-22-2010, 02:48 PM
What is your view on how technology has helped or hurt the voters when it comes to researching candidates and keeping their on on what the current politicians are doing in office?

swstout
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
What is your view on how technology has helped or hurt the voters when it comes to researching candidates and keeping their on on what the current politicians are doing in office?

The Internet is a great place for information. Most of the “News” programs spend their time deflecting such information so going there is just a waste of time. Especially now that bills are 2,000 to 3,000 pages long or more!

The internet is really the only way to investigate them. Another thing I find disturbing is that all bills are published in PDF which can’t be searched. If they were in a Word Document they could be searched. But the government doesn’t what them searched!

I am beginning to find sites that assign 50 to 100 pages to many people who summarize what they were assigned (and translate from legalese to plain English).

Steve

Steve
07-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Most of the “News” programs spend their time deflecting such information so going there is just a waste of time.

Some of these political news shows on tv have really very little to offer. They are less about quality and more about who can be more outrageous and over the top.

LawnMoore
07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I remember

gas at the lowest @ 87cent per gallon

Can drink @ 25cent

Candy bar @ 49 cent

Thats about all the timeline i can offer and its from around the 90-93 era..

I like reminiscing as well ;)