PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Grass from Lake

bwood99x
07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I am doing a job this week to remove grass from a lake, from a short research I am guessing it is Maidencain, Torpedo grass, or American cupscale grass. The roots are about 3-5 inches into the sand and run fairly long horizontally. I was wondering if any of you knew a way faster than hand pulling the roots out. We are simply digging our fingers into the sand, finding a root and pulling it up, trying to not break just alittle piece off. I have spent one day on this so far and was unable to find a way to make this job less tedious and time-consuming. The roots seem to be everywhere burried below the sand. There is barely a little muck and seaweed, and a few lilly pads as well. I have no problem getting the mucky seaweed up with a rake, but the rake only snaps the grass off it's roots, which I must get as well. Thanks!
-Brent (first post)

The Cleaning Doctor
07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
What about a potato rake?

bwood99x
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks, I already tried one, it pretty much was tearing through the roots without bringing them to the surface, and the head of it ending up snapping off do to thickness/pressure of going through the sand.

picframer
07-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Not really an answer but a word of caution, did you check with authorities to ensure you are allowed to actually remove it? Where I live, I would need a permit and I can tell you from experience, once again where I live as we have hundreds of lakes around the city, they would not issue one to remove Grass, Cat Tails or Lilly Pads.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Sorry that is all I have.

Andy you make a good point.

On another note, that potato rake is great for digging up butter clams :D

Steve
07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
What about something like this?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9986yozlsE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9986yozlsE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>