PDA

View Full Version : Warning from Post office

cleancutlawncare5382
07-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Close call yesterday. Post office called and asked if I was putting flyers in the mail boxes. I told the truth " yes I was but only a few - if the owner wasn't home". He was nice about it but told me they could collect them and charge me postage along with a fine. Wont be doing that again !!

psparaco
07-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm glad i live in a big metropolis. The mailman isnt worried about flyers. I get pizza, chinese food flyers and notes from my landlord. I dont get it. United states postal service do not own YOUR mailbox. Their gona charge you postage yet you delivered them yourself. Are they frickin retarded. If they ever call me and ask if i am putting flyers. I'll tell them. when you talk to all the pizza places, chinese food places, and everyother establishment that has put a flyer in my mailbox and have them all stop. i'll stop. until them. quit b*tching and go deliver some letters.

jasonw
07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm glad i live in a big metropolis. The mailman isnt worried about flyers. I get pizza, chinese food flyers and notes from my landlord. I dont get it. United states postal service do not own YOUR mailbox. Their gona charge you postage yet you delivered them yourself. Are they frickin retarded. If they ever call me and ask if i am putting flyers. I'll tell them. when you talk to all the pizza places, chinese food places, and everyother establishment that has put a flyer in my mailbox and have them all stop. i'll stop. until them. quit b*tching and go deliver some letters.

Pizza, Chinese and food places have permits to do it. It doesn't matter if the deliver it or not the law is the law, just follow it. There was a thread around here somewhere about this very topic.

psparaco
07-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Pizza, Chinese and food places have permits to do it. It doesn't matter if the deliver it or not the law is the law, just follow it. There was a thread around here somewhere about this very topic.

so you mean to tell me there is legal soliciting and illegal. its all wrong in my eyes. Some like junk mail some do. I highly doubt the middle easterns at the pizza shop up the street with several code violations in their building has a permit to put flyers in mailboxes. maybe some one time places like dominos or pizza johns but small ma and pop stores i highly doubt it. and some i fold up and put them in the door.

cleancutlawncare5382
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I never looked into the laws but have heard threw the grapevine its illegal here in Pa.

My concern was upsetting customers. I don't know if a property owner called or if the mailman found them. I still think door-to-door is an effective marketing tool only I will be staying clear of the mail box.

Might have to look into another way to attach flyers to a door. I make all my own flyers to keep cost down. I haven't found an easy way to make door hangers.

jasonw
07-21-2010, 12:04 AM
so you mean to tell me there is legal soliciting and illegal. its all wrong in my eyes. Some like junk mail some do. I highly doubt the middle easterns at the pizza shop up the street with several code violations in their building has a permit to put flyers in mailboxes. maybe some one time places like dominos or pizza johns but small ma and pop stores i highly doubt it. and some i fold up and put them in the door.

The fines for a business illegally putting fliers in a mail box can be astronomical. I highly doubt pizza place would do it and not be permitted. its just not worth it if you get caught. If you suspect a business doing it then you can very easily ask your local post office if they are licensed to do it, if not file a complaint. The USPS is a Federal office so this is a Federal law effecting every state in the union. At the same time if you do it unpermited you are committing a federal offense. They really frown on that and yes when push comes to shove you will have to appear in a federal court house to answer the complaint which is more than likely several hundred miles from your home or business just to make it a burden on you.

Steve
07-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Might have to look into another way to attach flyers to a door. I make all my own flyers to keep cost down. I haven't found an easy way to make door hangers.

Could you staple a rubberband to a few of the flyers so if someone isnt home, you can attach it to the door knob?

TaylorsCornerLLC
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
In my town, a local free paper puts its weekly paper on a hook on the mailbox post. Wether or not they were permitted or not by the post office i have no idea. Your best bet before doing anything with a mail box or paper box is contact the post office and ask what you can and can't do. Im sure you can put out fliers in mailboxes for the right $$. But even if you buy the mailbox, it one on town property, and two its federally owned.

Steve
07-22-2010, 02:50 PM
As far as I know, you can never put anything in or on a mailbox.

We also have talked about putting things in the newspaper boxes and found that was illegal too. It was brought up in another post but a lawn care business owner was contacted by the newspaper company and was told they could be charged with trespassing.

Do a search here on it. It was a fascinating post.

Putting Fliers in Newspaper Box Laws? (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11156)

Flyers in mailboxes legal or illegal (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11807)

Jack Rabbit
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Some towns have laws about putting things on doors or going door to door. They do here but there's some way to get a permit.

There is a completely legal way to get your fliers in mailboxes ... mail them. Hey, I didn't say it was cheap or well targeted or anything.

Huh, there's a dash dash right angle bracket (an html comment tag end) at the end of this post that I didn't put there ... ... ... Oh! Using two dashes causes it as well as duplicated post parts.

cleancutlawncare5382
07-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Your 100% right Jack.

I havenít mailed anything yet to targeted addresses but have often thought about it. I figure it would work like this.
Drive around neighborhoods I would like to do work in, take down the street address and start a mailing list. Mail out flyers every month or so until you get the number of customers youíre looking for.

Has anyone done this kind of marketing and would you recommend it ??

LawnMoore
07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Could you staple a rubberband to a few of the flyers so if someone isnt home, you can attach it to the door knob?

Yes, this is the best (cheapest) method of keeping you flyer on there door knob!

I just bought 200 rubberbands earlier today :eek:

E/ I do not live in or anywhere near a Big City, therefore, i have had no problems with door to door advertising or rubberbanding flyers to door knobs.

(My neibor/business Partner runs a professional mailout service for his parents large scale dentistry marketing firm!!) However, niether of us use it for our business ;))

Steve
07-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Drive around neighborhoods I would like to do work in, take down the street address and start a mailing list. Mail out flyers every month or so until you get the number of customers youíre looking for.

One of our friends on here does something similar but instead of mailing, he has a few postcards made up for different services he offers. If he sees a home that could use one of his services, he will take that specific postcard and either hand it to the home owner if they are outside or knock on the door and give it to them.

You improve your sales percentages when you can talk to the homeowner, especially one that needs your services.

OldRedFord
08-01-2010, 11:05 PM
What if you stick it between the mailbox and the post?

Some of the neighborhoods around here have a sign out front saying no soliciting so a newspaper add is the best bet.

rob8804
08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I think that the law is pretty standard in most states as the post office is a federal organization. You pretty much want to stay away from the actual mail box. The idea is you can't do what is otherwise the job of the U.S P.O.

I made this mistake in the past and got a fine based on the postage that should have been paid. Best just to use door handle flyers...

Steve
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
What if you stick it between the mailbox and the post?

I wouldn't think there'd be any problem with that.

I made this mistake in the past and got a fine based on the postage that should have been paid.

So they basically collected all your mailings and multiplied them by the appropriate postage and fined you that?

rob8804
08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
yep, they fined me the amount of the would be postage amount.

cleancutlawncare5382
08-03-2010, 06:03 AM
yep, they fined me the amount of the would be postage amount.

The postmaster that called me said the same " could collect the flyers and charge postage for each one" Lucky for me he gave me a warning.

Since then I have continued my door-to-door approach, only leaving the mailbox alone. Still no new customers - slow time of year I guess.