PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Disaster

MAKLawnCutter
07-17-2010, 03:58 PM
SO, my birthday was the 13th. Which wasnt bad... but, the days leading upto it, SUCKED!

*venting*

Saturday July 10th, i was heading home from a mulch job, empty bed, no mulch, no trailer, a few shovels and my wheel barrel.

I pulled down the last street to get to mine and the transmission shifted up twice with in 20feet, then i coasted to my street.

Called my techie buddy out and he is screaming at me "SLOW DOWN!" i was doing about 3MPH at 4500RPMs, was awesome!

It went in reverse like a dream, blew out both forward pumps on the transmission...

In tail - I went truck hunting for something USED, preferably NOT a Chevrolet again (no offense). I found a lot of older fords (1997+) but, i wanted something in the 80s, i had an 83' F350 Dually with a BBF in it when i lived in KS... I found a 1987 F150 i6 300, granny 4 speed. GOt there and talking to the guy, and my friend Amy comes walking out "WTF?" Turned out to be her dude selling the truck, i got it for 650$, he had it on the list for 1500$. Thank God i know people and the world is small!

The day of my birthday i worked for 14hours, awesome.

Day after, i destroyed my phone. I guess sweat and Blackberrys dont go well together. Played broke with the chick at sprint and she sent me a used/referb Nextel BlackBerry.

GOOD STUFF.

I am officialy broke tho. The pregnant Fiance took me for all i have for baby clothes and a crib. Im going back to work.

No More typing.

Have a wonderful weekend.... .... .... .... ....

Steve
07-18-2010, 03:50 AM
WOW! First off, Happy Birthday!

Did you happen to look into how much it would cost to rebuild your transmission?

Do you know how to get the transmission out from under the truck and then take it to have it rebuilt?

picframer
07-18-2010, 06:23 AM

Did you happen to look into how much it would cost to rebuild your transmission?

Do you know how to get the transmission out from under the truck and then take it to have it rebuilt?

Depending on what he was driving, get one from a junk yard, cheaper and faster. Transmissions are easy to swap out and require few tools, just rent a transmission hoist, they are worth their weight in gold.

Back in the 80's as a hobby I raced and built race engines, when we blew a transmission, we simply bought one from the auto salvage yard and I don't recall ever having an issue. I used to even race a Chevy Short Box, I had a 396 in it I built, it was a sleeper that would blow whatever off the road. I blew two transmissions in it, I use to put the quick shift plates in it as it was automatic but it had so much power and I guess the racing abuse, in three years two transmissions, at the time they were cheap and it was my hobby and as we know hobbies can be expensive.

MAKLawnCutter
07-21-2010, 12:50 AM

THank you sir!

Well, the transmission that was IN the truck, was a LONG SHAFT TH350. IF it would of been a short shaft could of gotten a referb for about 350$. I called around, no such luck on a long shaft, called a friends, friend about rebuilding it, got into this long hour long conversation about how the LONG Shaft TH350 was over taken by the NHRA in the early 80s, about 1500 still existed, was about 1300$ for a rebuild kit, i guess the clutch kits were all built blue and red, made them better?

The 1987 Ford F150 I got was a STEAL, ill be dropping about 500$ into a windshield and weld work to patch the rust, other than that, its kosher, runs like a dream!

Matt

Steve
07-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Show us some pics of what you are working on!