PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Central KY

jaybird256
07-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody, I am jaybird256 and I am new to the forums. Currently I am working as a Landscape Foreman for a small lawn and landscape company. I have several years experience in this business including a bachelors degree in Horticulture.
I am currently in the process of getting equipment and clients together to be able to start my own company next year. I will be doing lawn maintenance, mulching, cleanups, installs, leaf removal, gutter cleaning, trimming, and whatever else I can. I have already landed several accounts for next year, mostly family members, but they want specific things done and want me to take care of it, so that is a start. I will be browsing all of these threads and asking advice from you experienced owners, especially on equipment, bidding, and advertising. Thanks in advance for everybody's opinions and help.

Steve
07-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Welcome to our forum!

You are really building up some experience.

What made you decide to go out on your own and start your own business? As a foreman, do you feel you will know most of the skills needed to get your business going or do you feel there are certain areas you are working on improving? Do any specific areas stand out?

jaybird256
07-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks.

I am gaining valuable experience right now as a foreman. One of the reasons to start my own business is to be my own boss and be close to my family, my job is a 45 minute drive each way. I am just tired of the driving and do things the way I want to.
The hands on aspects of the business like mowing, install, trimming etc, I feel confident in my abilities to do great jobs and I am still gaining valuable experience the rest of the year doing them. The only thing I don't have any experience in is the bidding process, but reading this forum is really helping me out and understanding the process of bidding and obtaining clients.

Steve
07-18-2010, 02:43 AM
How does your business handle the bidding process? Do you ever create bids?

and do things the way I want to.

Also what kinds of things stand out as far as doing things the way you want to?