PDA

View Full Version : Edger Question

lowermower
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Okay, Thought I could hold my trimmer sideways and edge the few yards that I picked up. That was until I noticed that I was dealing with St. Augustine that hadn't been edged in a long time. The edging job wasn't that bad, but it wasn't up to my standards either.

Should I go with a sick edger or the other type?
Been looking at the echo 225, but unsure if a stick would be best.

I also have a friend with a yard machines 3.5hp edger, he says it's practically brand new...$100.00

Not sure which to get, and hope some of your experience could help me decide.

CheapNEasy
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I myself prefer a stick edger as opposed to a walk behind unit. It is easier to handle and I can run it much faster. I have a stihl FC90 edger and can edge out about 2 feet per second, always looks crisp and clean, I use Gator edger blades and my customers are always very impressed, Ive picked up a lot of neighbors that wouldn't give in to services, but requested to have their lawns edged. Adds another $15 to $20 per visit to per additional edging job. Couldnt get them on a full service package, but the extra cash helps and takes no time at all.

XtreemGreen
07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Push edgers I like to use for way over grown grass.. Its alot easier as the blade stays in the groove...Stick edger is great after the clean up..

lowermower
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Push edgers I like to use for way over grown grass.. Its alot easier as the blade stays in the groove...Stick edger is great after the clean up..

Would there be any problem, besides time, if I were to use a sick for overgrown yards? I would hate to buy a walk behind just to tame new accounts.

I myself prefer a stick edger as opposed to a walk behind unit. It is easier to handle and I can run it much faster. I have a stihl FC90 edger and can edge out about 2 feet per second, always looks crisp and clean, I use Gator edger blades and my customers are always very impressed, Ive picked up a lot of neighbors that wouldn't give in to services, but requested to have their lawns edged. Adds another $15 to $20 per visit to per additional edging job. Couldnt get them on a full service package, but the extra cash helps and takes no time at all.

That FC90 sounds real good, especially if it's getting you extra money. Had a guy ask me to edge his yard yesterday when I was cutting his neighbors yard. Told him that I'd be back when I get a new edger. I hate to pass up money, you really make me want to get that $$$$$thil!

Thanks to both of you for the responses!

majoe7
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree with both Extreem & Cheap when it comes to taken on overgrown edges. I let the client know that it will take 2-3 visits to get the edges to my standard. I also have a few that I only edge for due to the fact that I can't fit them into my schedule and they still perfer to push mow their lawn. Easy money and no time at all. They are real close to my clients that I already service. If it was out of your way then it's not worth it. If the grass is way over the sidewalk or driveway I bring a straight shovel and use that to clean it up after I have edged.

John

CheapNEasy
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM
For over grown edging, my Stihl and Gator blades work just fine just adjust to go a little deeper, the gator blades cut it wider than a normal blade would, if needed as majoe7 stated keep a flat shovel on hand to scrape the debris up, blow out the edge then blow it off (or just vacuum if you have one)

Customers will be greatly impressed..... Edging makes the lawn in my opinion! :)

picframer
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM

We use this same process, I have an old Deere unit that someone traded in that is in mint condition, Deere hasn't sold them for many years which is strange as anyone who had one raved about them and it is one sweet working unit.

lowermower
07-16-2010, 10:16 PM
We use this same process, I have an old Deere unit that someone traded in that is in mint condition, Deere hasn't sold them for many years which is strange as anyone who had one raved about them and it is one sweet working unit.

I ran into a guy that owned a tool company for the oil field and he said that they use to make tools that would last for 15+ years, he also said that they had to use cheaper parts to decrease the life of the tool, if not he would have gone out of business.

lowermower
07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to get both of them. Can never have too many tools! :D

picframer
07-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to get both of them. Can never have too many tools! :D

Now that is the spirit!