PDA

View Full Version : Home built enclosed trailer

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-16-2010, 03:37 AM
I needed extra storage so I took a $100 5x8 utility frame and built a enclosed trailer. The original lights worked just needed a ground wire fixed. I just added reflective tape and she was ready to be registered.

Not pictured is indoor LED lights. I made a power box with two scooter batteries. I have a 22 volt solar panel and three smaller panels wired at 15 volts, trickle charging the batteries. I thought of wiring in some cigarette lighter outlets to power random things.

Ill put up the pics of the solar panesl and the ramp later.

The damage.
$100 for trailer frame.
$100 for wood.
$20 registration.
$10 for locks.
$20 for four solar panels,
$15 for vinyl decals.
$20 12 volt led lights for auto.
$20 bolts, nails, glue, screws.
$20 for paint.
2 free batteries rescued from the transfer station.

XtreemGreen
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
May need to add some support beams to the front...By the looks of it crushing the milk crate, its pretty tongue heavy now..

But good job... Ive walled my trailer before, Took it down because of the wind drag..

Steve
07-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Ill put up the pics of the solar panels and the ramp later.
I am looking forwards to seeing them!

That looks really nice! You have a great canvas on the sides of your trailer to really go big with future signs if you wanted to.

How long did it take you to build it?

Have you towed it around yet? What was your view of how it handled?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-18-2010, 02:50 AM
It was a 70s valley utility trailer. I dont know maybe the times but the frame beams are 3x thicker then my newer 6x10. There was minor surface rust mostly around where the lights go.

May need to add some support beams to the front...By the looks of it crushing the milk crate, its pretty tongue heavy now.. I believe thats because how I crammed stuff in there to fit and its on a hill. I wasnt thinking about traveling with it or I wouldnt have put the majority of weight in the front. Its more for storage then anything. I havent used it for jobs and dont plan on it.

How long did it take you to build it?
It couldnt be more then 6 hours. The majority was spent on the ramp. It didnt seem strong enough with 3/4 plywood, so I added a extra piece of 3/8 and two strips where the wheels would go. I glued and screwed its stable but ugly.
Have you towed it around yet? What was your view of how it handled?
Yes, just around town. It handles better then it did empty. Wind drag may be a issue on the highway.

I do have one big vinyl that I was going to ad but im not sold. I would really like to get a good painter to do a landscape of some sort.

Steve
07-18-2010, 04:01 AM
I would really like to get a good painter to do a landscape of some sort.

Could you find some clipart on the web and maybe use an overhead projector to project the image on the side and then simply fill in the color with a brush?

If you could redo it now that youa re done, what would you do differently if anything?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
If you could redo it now that youa re done, what would you do differently if anything?
I would've made it taller.

Solar panels unattached.

Steve
07-20-2010, 03:19 AM
What would be the ideal height?