PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 52" Lazer Z - bought used

Fresh Cut
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Thursday I bought a used Exmark Lazer Z 52" that has a bad engine and a bunch of missing parts.

I got a decent deal on it, I guess. I haven't taken any pics of it yet.

First thing I did was check out the deck blades and I looked for play in the blades by trying to lift up on them, they were tight, so spindles & bearings are good. Top of deck is good shape too, new belt, 2 new pulleys.

Tires are shot, one in particular. It's got 2 different kind of wheels, and 2 different kind of tires.

The hour meter is missing, and so is the PTO switch, ignition key, and the gas tank switch. The belt to drive the hydros is missing.

After I bought it I went straight to my dealer and talked to the head guy and he gave it a once over for me just to let me know what I had and what I was looking at, price-wise, to get it back going. He pretty much gave it a thumbs up after he went and got an extended magnet and stuck it down in the hydro reservoir to see if there were chunks in it. He didn't find anything, so hydros are good!

He saw that there were 25A and 30A fuses and told me that those should both be 20A fuses. He said that may indicate that fuses were blowing and that there may be an electrical problem, which may explain why some some switches were missing. He suggested a replacement wiring harness just to be sure.

The front forks for the front wheels are bent, too, but that's not something that's urgent. Gotta get it running first.

Fresh Cut
07-14-2010, 11:56 PM
What y'all think?

Steve
07-15-2010, 02:21 AM
That is very interesting!

What made you want to buy this one versus others that may have been available?

Many people would be scared to buy a mower that needed work done but on the flip side, you can save money by doing it.

Will you be doing many of the repairs yourself?

Fresh Cut
07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
That is very interesting!

What made you want to buy this one versus others that may have been available?

Many people would be scared to buy a mower that needed work done but on the flip side, you can save money by doing it.

Will you be doing many of the repairs yourself?

you answered your first question already, to save money.

I'll be doing most, if not all. It's really not rocket science.

mzlawncare
07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice lil unit! Can you get an aftermarket ROPS for it?

Steve
07-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see some pics as you fix it up! This should be very interesting!

Fresh Cut
07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Nice lil unit! Can you get an aftermarket ROPS for it?

Don't want a ROPS... I'm working with this...
http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2179&d=1267484320
14' box truck

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2177&d=1267484320

mzlawncare
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
ok.What iment was are rops avaliable for the model you are fixing

Fresh Cut
07-16-2010, 09:53 PM
don't know, not interested in that

Steve
07-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Can you get an aftermarket ROPS for it?

Do you mean roll over protection system?

What would be the benefit of that on a walk behind unit?

mzlawncare
07-26-2010, 08:05 AM
steve, the rops Question was about the ztr not the walk behind.He was just showing me tht he couldnt fit it in the box truck with a rops on his ztr.

Fresh Cut
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I need an engine for it.

Kohler Command SP 27hp Horizontal shaft.

Anybody know where I can get a new one for cheap?

Steve
08-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Did you look on ebay or craigslist?

Fresh Cut
10-19-2010, 01:08 AM
UPDATE:

Was talking to an older neighbor of mine (72 y/o) and showing him my Lazer Z and he's checking it out, pulling the dipstick looking at the oil, trying to turn the flywheel, etc. He was a mechanic for 40+ years on big rigs, and still drives a dump truck everyday, he's still not retired!

Anyway, he's telling me "I'd sho' nuff like to see you get this thing runnin'", "if I was you, I'd get a starter, put it on and see if this engine runs".

So he motivated me. I get on eBay and look for a starter for it. Sure enough, I find one for $30 buy it now :eek: and it's local! I bought it and immediately asked the seller if I could pick it up to save money on shipping. He responds with yes. We exchange emails to set up a time and location, and in the signature of one of his emails it has
"***** Hardware"
"Shop manager"

Turns out that I knew the guy and that he's the shop manager for where I took my walk behind to get serviced.

He tells me to bring the machine with me when I pick up the starter and he can maybe help me get it started.

Well, he did just that. He put the starter on for me, we used a booster pack for battery power, used shop key switch and pto switch, put some gas in her............................. and she fired up!

There was a lot popping, he said that's from the carb being dirty and backfiring, but said the engine sounded great.

I still had to leave it with him because some magnets came off of my flywheel and broke all to pieces and he said my Stater was bad. Total bill for labor was $386 + $50 for a used flywheel & stater. That $386 also includes an inner tube and a bunch of small stuff that he did for me.

Not bad to have it all done by an Exmark dealer! I got the guy's email and cell number and he told me to hit him anytime I have a problem. He said he sells stuff on the side and works on stuff at his house but only for people that weren't customers at the shop first, I told him I completely understood. :cool:

I'll post pics soon as I get her washed.

I'm so excited I don't know what to do. I got a 2003 Exmark Lazer Z 52" 27HP for $1,500 so far. :eek: :D

Steve
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
That is fantastic news! You know a great group of people who have a lot of skills!

With the money you saved, I'd love to see some big signs painted on the side of your truck! That truck is great! It's a rolling billboard!

Fresh Cut
10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
That is fantastic news! You know a great group of people who have a lot of skills!

With the money you saved, I'd love to see some big signs painted on the side of your truck! That truck is great! It's a rolling billboard!

I got the truck for sale now. I need a diesel.

I had a guy come and look at it this morning, he test drove it and liked it. He said he was looking at another truck about 20 miles away and would call me.

I wanna get a 1999-2001 Isuzu NPR diesel box truck w/ a dovetail ramp.
Mainly because my Lazer Z is kind of a pain to get on and off with the liftgate, I have to still use ramps and it's just not safe. I don't feel comfortable doing it all day long when I'm on a route.

Steve
10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
What are the benefits of that truck in a diesel format?

Fresh Cut
10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
What are the benefits of that truck in a diesel format?

Better mpg and easier to maintain.

Steve
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I have never had a diesel before but I have heard they can get better gas mileage. But, does that depend on them being run for long periods of time, versus stop and go? Or no?

Fresh Cut
10-22-2010, 01:52 PM
no.

diesel will always have better mpg if running properly

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Well you have to be careful with the always word.

The trade off is higher repair costs when it does break down. Its a commercial to industial motor depending on who you buy from.

Thats also the reason you can "play" with the diesel motor allittle more than the gas motor. Built stronger to last longer.

Fresh Cut
10-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Well you have to be careful with the always word.

The trade off is higher repair costs when it does break down. Its a commercial to industial motor depending on who you buy from.

Thats also the reason you can "play" with the diesel motor allittle more than the gas motor. Built stronger to last longer.
What do you mean by "play"?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-23-2010, 12:38 AM
What do you mean by "play"?

the specs are different where if you add a bolt on or tuner you dont have to worry about the added stress as much, as you would a gas motor. You change to much on a gas motor you have to change everything to meet that. The only thing you really have to worry about with the diesel is adding to much more torque. seen people snap drive lines and over work transmissions from the add ons.

Fresh Cut
10-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Ok, here's what I need for it to be complete....

The front yokes for the two front wheels

Hour meter

2 armrests

The mushroom-looking thing that goes on the air cleaner intake. It's missing.

2 Rear rims/wheels 24x12-12

2 new rear tires.... Turf Masters 24x12-12

Oh yeah, and a mulch kit baffle weldment Exmark Part no. 103-0913-03.

If anyone can help with any of these please let me know.

TIA

Steve
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Can you maybe find another junker you could use for parts?

hounddog
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I have never had a diesel before but I have heard they can get better gas mileage. But, does that depend on them being run for long periods of time, versus stop and go? Or no?

steve it's fuel mileage if you put gas in a diesel you are in for a world of hurt