PDA

View Full Version : A League of Her Own

Steve
09-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Quote[/b] ]“Property managers like to speak with me a lot,” she says. “A lot of property managers feel the woman connection is favorable, so they want to give the business to me. I’m basically at the desk, but I still get out there and monitor jobs.”
It makes you wonder if this is a good idea. Do you think a woman does a better job than a man in such situations? Can they sell better? Have you ever experimented with such conditions?

A League of Her Own (http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news/news.asp?ID=4695) - Joan Schepis remembers when her four sons used to look for ways to make some extra spending money. She would send them out to mow the neighbors’ lawns in their Chesterfield, Mo. neighborhood. She bought a lawnmower, passed out flyers and sent the boys out with the pickup truck.

“They brought in under $20,000 to 25,000 at time,” she says. “But that was fine**it was for them.”

Word caught on about her family’s fledgling side business. Eight years later, Schepis finds herself running less of a side project and, instead, a lawn care business that is poised to bring in more than $1 million for the year.

The Greenwood Group became officially incorporated in 2003 as a woman-owned company.