PDA

View Full Version : For those that do commercial work

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
So I happy to annouce that Im finally getting liablity insurance for the business but was wanting some help from those of you that do commercial work. Anyone know some nationwide insurance groups I finding it hard to find less than 759 a yr for 1 mil 2 mil total.

Ive been told all I need is the liablity insurance and I can do commercial work. The next question is does my vehicle need to be insured as a commercial vehicle and something about a certificate. Didnt quite understand what the insurance guy was talking about. He said I will want to have that certificate for commercial work. But thats where its going to get really expensive for me. The truck is in my name, for all intensive purposes its my family vehicle and I understand my current provider frowns on using it as a commercial vehicle but..... w/e.

Anways what all is needed to get into commercial work besides proper liciencing and liablity insurance.

Thanks for you imput

B-2 Lawncare
07-08-2010, 10:09 PM
So I happy to annouce that Im finally getting liablity insurance for the business but was wanting some help from those of you that do commercial work. Anyone know some nationwide insurance groups I finding it hard to find less than 759 a yr for 1 mil 2 mil total.

Ive been told all I need is the liablity insurance and I can do commercial work. The next question is does my vehicle need to be insured as a commercial vehicle and something about a certificate. Didnt quite understand what the insurance guy was talking about. He said I will want to have that certificate for commercial work. But thats where its going to get really expensive for me. The truck is in my name, for all intensive purposes its my family vehicle and I understand my current provider frowns on using it as a commercial vehicle but..... w/e.

Anways what all is needed to get into commercial work besides proper liciencing and liablity insurance.

Thanks for you imput

Hello there, look at state farm insurance its about 560 a year. Not sure about the truck?

Steve
07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
One of the issues we have seen in the past with trucks and insurance is this. If you use a personal vehicle for commercial purposes and get into an accident, your insurance provider can deny your accident claim.

That can be a HUGE problem for you if you find yourself in that spot.

As far as the certificate, I have no idea what he is talking about. Does anyone else?

CheapNEasy
07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
You only need certificates on certain weight classes of vehicles. Unless you have a BIG Dump truck, you will most likely not fall into this class. Its mainly trucks over 2 or 2 1/2 tons or something.

As far as commercial work, most companies I have and deal with require ATLEAST Your EIN/Tax ID number for the company, www.irs.gov to apply for it, then you can get your business license.... Insurance companies are also going to require your EIN/Tax ID number.

I have had some companies require me to provide proof of workers comp insurance.

As stated, make sure what ever vehicle you are Working with, is on your business policy!!!

Steve
07-10-2010, 08:03 PM
You only need certificates on certain weight classes of vehicles.

Do you know anything about how you go about getting such a certificate?

CheapNEasy
07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
You have to contact your city or state licensing department about certificates for these vehicles. Kinda like registering a boat, they give you the certificates and you get DOT numbers that are placed on the door etc... (I believe this is how it works, I dont personally run any equipment that needs these endorsements, but I am sure you talk to the licensing department about it, it was on my business license application.)