PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, a newbe here

Gary Barker
07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello to all, My name is Gary Barker, I live in Long Beach, MS. I just retired after 32 years as a Elevator constructor at the age of 57, really was not ready to retire, so I just started a lawn care service. I am working out of a 5 by 8 open trailer, need more room already. I picked up on a 2001 Toro Z 44 SFS for $800 that runs great, a XMark Metro 36 walk behind for $300 at a State sell that's ok to. Bus.cards yard signs and truck mag. signs and a ad in a local free paper. In two weeks time I have 7 yards to cut and growing.
This seems to be a great site to learn about lawn care and hope to be around for some time. Later Gary Barker

Steve
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Gary,

Welcome to our forum! It's great to have you here.

What are some of your big plans for your lawn care business?

Gary Barker
07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Gary,

Welcome to our forum! It's great to have you here.

What are some of your big plans for your lawn care business?

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply, so for I am just looking for lawn cuting work. Sence I have just retired I am not looking for a 40 hour a week job but if it get's to that point so be it. I haven't gone legal as of yet. The going rite for my service seem the be in line with what I have been reading about, you tell me. 1/2 acre or under $35 for a weekly cut, $40 for a Bi weekly and $45 for a any time cut. With the machines I have and working as a one man crew it comes close to $35 an hour. I have landed a acount right in the center of my small town of Long Beach, MS and have put one of my yard signs on it, a great place to be seen by all. In 2005 Katria hit here and for a 1/2 mile in there is a lot of open lots that the city make the owners keep cut so I am picking up some of that. Are there any others on this list that are from here and how many members or there here? Later Gary Barker

Steve
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Gary,

That is great! I think you will find yourself landing some good accounts. Your prices sound on the mark for just getting started. There are quite a few members on here and some from Mississippi as well.

What kinds of promotions have you been doing to attract new customers or what kind of marketing are you looking to do?