PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying the 4th

swstout
07-04-2010, 04:09 PM
We are having a neighborhood cookout. About 15 families here have gotten together for the event. Bob and Nancy have an in ground pool and are hosting it. The wives have organized and prepared the food for 34 over age 16 and 15 under age 16. The men are in charge of cooking. We have 4 grills set up. The meat menu is Hot Dogs, Cheeseburgers and Sausage, Peppers and Onions.

Its finally a little cooler (only 86 today) with a nice breeze and only 33% RH.

The event starts at 4:30 and will last until after dark (fireworks are legal here and we have about $400.00 worth).

This is a great way to meet your neighbors and in the long run is cheaper for all.

How are you spending the 4th?

Steve

mark123
07-04-2010, 04:33 PM
... How are you spending the 4th?
I hit church this morning, came home and hooked up a nap. I'm going to walk over to my dad's house and see if he's home and then water my lawn deeply so the goofy neighbors don't burn it with fireworks as they usually trash my lawn with all the fireworks bits. Last year I picked up a full trash bag full of blown up cardboard, plastic and paper bits from my lawn and my good neighbor's lawn.

I hope dad has something grilling. ;)

Here in PA it is 89F, 43%RH (heat index is 91F) with a light breeze. I'm going to go take a walk and get out of this air conditioning for a few minutes.

CHEESE2009
07-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I went to Wal-Mart & bought 2 pairs of shoes... $20.00' each...

They will fall apart by tomorrow, guaranteed.

I went to a carnival yesterday, went on a bunch of rides. I think I'm getting too old, every ride just about made me sick to my stomach.

I think I was the only adult going on these rides, my back & neck pain will be a reminder for next year.

XtreemGreen
07-05-2010, 12:43 AM
It pretty much rained all day here... So no cookout.. But the family and some neighbors had a good time watching the $150 of fireworks I blasted off...

Steve
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Does anyone ever find holidays like the 4th of July to be a good time to market your business when you are at local neighborhood events? Or what is your view on them?

swstout
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Does anyone ever find holidays like the 4th of July to be a good time to market your business when you are at local neighborhood events? Or what is your view on them?

You market your business 24/7. Yesterday morning I used up the last of my Insect Guard for a mosquito free cookout (no charge). I wore my Company shirt.

The logo below is on my shirts and vehicles.

Marketing is much more than advertising! Your actions and your employee actions represent your company. Especially when off duty. You dont hire people to work for you, you hire them to represent your company. Their language, dress and personalities are all important.

You market both directly and indirectly. You can even market at a funeral if you do it correctly. Your vehicle sign is marketing. I use Habitat for Humanity projects for marketing. I wear my company work closes and always put a yard sign out. Last weekend there were 14 local contractors on the job. A local sod company donated 8 pallets of sod. I treated the soil and did most of the installation. Got a write-up with pictures in the paper.

Marketing opportunities are endless.

Steve

Steve
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Got a write-up with pictures in the paper.

Steve that is great! Had you been able to scan it in? For those not involved in such organizations, how do you feel being a part of them can help your business grow?

Yesterday morning I used up the last of my Insect Guard for a mosquito free cookout (no charge). I wore my Company shirt.

That is another good idea. Did you notice anyone talking about it? Or did you let them know you were using the product?

NewLeafca
07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
We had a great 4th. My brother and his family came over and I cooked all morning. I love to cook but I really love to cook outdoors. I have built my own barbecue and smoker complete with side burners and an oven. It is all made from bricks and the smoker is out of this world. After that we went to the 4th festivities and fireworks at the local park. Which brings me to my next point.

I agree with swstout marketing is a 24/7 deal. At the park we were sitting by another family that was obviously an upscale one. The lady was commenting on the brown patches in the park lawn and about how hard the ground was to sit on. I listened for a while then approached her and her husband. I explained why they had brown patches and how to avoided them. I also explained the most likely reasons the ground was so hard. Then I gave them my card and told them that I could make there lawn a pleasure to enjoy.

The husband said they already had a lawn service, but the wife took my card and said yeah but it's not great. She called me this morning and I went out to take a look. The lawn is well kept and trimmed but not much else. I took some soil samples and now have a year long contract with them for $150.00 a month. So yeah always look for ways to turn any conversation you overhear into a promotion for you.

swstout
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Steve that is great! Had you been able to scan it in? For those not involved in such organizations, how do you feel being a part of them can help your business grow?

Habitat for Humanity projects generate a lot of interest, not just in the local neighborhood, but in the community. People like me donate their time and some product, but businesses donate a lot of materials. There is a constant parade of people, businesses, organizations, politicians and press promoting their products and services. Even Pizza Hut donated food and beverages for the crews. All of these are potential future customers.

That is another good idea. Did you notice anyone talking about it? Or did you let them know you were using the product?

Introductions and careers were talked about all day. The host told just about everyone about the mosquito conditions and promoted me. When different people contacted me I could promote all my services and products.

Steve

Steve
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I took some soil samples and now have a year long contract with them for $150.00 a month.

For those who dont offer soil testing, how do you feel that helped you land the job?