PDA

View Full Version : How to conveince lawn care customers to mulch there grass

clandscaping44
07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?

swstout
07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?

Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve

lukus223
07-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve

Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap

swstout
07-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap

Grass clippings have been banned from landfills by approximately half of the states in the United States. Here in South Carolina, they do still accept it, but it must be placed in state recycle bags (how the state charges for landfill use - 5 bags for $2.75).

Here, the state uses a Tall Fescue/Perennial Rye mix for all road and highway use. They do not bag the clippings and the appearance is quite acceptable.

Good, sharp mulching kits cut the clippings into a fine mulch that quickly decomposes (the smaller the grass clippings, the faster it decomposes). Grass is 75-80% water and the mulched clippings quickly transfer that moisture, leaving only about 20% actual organic matter that settles into the turf at the dirt level.

I have only one customer who insists on clipping removal and I charge him $1.00 per bag.

Steve

Steve
07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
When making a presentation to a customer on why they should mulch there clippings, is it best to use a two pronged presentation? One being the information to educate them and the second being an additional fee? Or no?