PDA

View Full Version : Pole Pruner - Help me Decide!

MAKLawnCutter
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I placed a big today for 80 palm trees in a neighborhood, i won with a big of 20$ per tree, each tree is 20 - 25 ft, in my bid i put i would keep them trimmed till they hit 30ft in height and would be 20$each, twice yearly...

I have a Shindaiwa with a pruner attachment but, it is only 8 ft long, I am not one for heights so, i started looking at telescoping pruners. I looked at the Stihl today, AWESOME piece of equipment, nice solid feet... 650$ and will include an extra blade gallon of oil and one free service, total package is worth 825$...
I have also looked into the Echo PPT (or something like that), extends to 17ft with additional attachment, 649$ with out attachment, comes with a cup of oil.

I love echo equipment but, all of my current equipment is STIHL, I have only had one FAILURE and it was a edger that i have had to put two new carbs on *mumbles*. I am thinking about going with the Stihl knowing i could still be on a 4ft step ladder, or could go echo and keep my feet on the ground.

Any recommendations would be AWESOME!

Yes, i know the job is 1600$ each time i do it, so i could buy one of each and still have change afterwards. I would rather get ONE and be good to go.

PLEASE GIVE ME IDEAS! haha.

Matt

Steve
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
How far does the Stihl extend?

cuzzyn
07-06-2010, 07:52 AM
we use the stihl for about 5 years ,no problems ,still starts easy ,still oils chain, good piece of equipment

Steve
07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
How high up does that allow you to reach?

NewLeafca
07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
How high up does that allow you to reach?

Yes how high and also will it cut palm trees? My first pruner extended out far but was not tough enough for palms

cuzzyn
07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
i am not exactly sure how long it extends but it is around 12-15 ft. , i have never used it on palm trees but use it regularly on 6-8" oak branches i would imagine it could cut palms

picframer
07-08-2010, 04:21 AM
We run the Stihl for a prunning saw, it is used almost every day, not one issue in two years, then again we never have issues with the Stihl gear.