PDA

View Full Version : Lost my first customer

lowermower
06-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Today was my first day with my new business. I walked 3.25 miles leaving flyers at any home that didn't have a dog on the porch, or a sign with "owner will shoot"!

A few hours later I received two calls, one guy needing landscaping help (which I'm not licensed to do yet), and a woman with three properties. She gave me the addresses to them and I took a look at them. This was my first bid, and I was beat out by $15. I even tried to cut $5 from each property to ensure that I would get my first job. It's good to know that I'm quoting decent prices.

Oh well... another 3 miles tomorrow!

Steve
07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I am glad you are out there making it happen.

She gave me the addresses to them and I took a look at them. This was my first bid, and I was beat out by $15.

Was that for all the properties or for each one? What size were they and how did you bid them?

lowermower
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Steve, after another 2.25 miles today my feet hurt! LOL
I'm trying, I really am!:D

The $15 overbid was for all three properties, so $5 per property.
I have a hard time figuring square footage so I looked at each property and tried to estimate the time it would take for each of them. I did the $1 per minute rate then I shaved $5 from each property. I thought I would be the lowest bid. The woman told me that I was the second runner up out of 10 people. The guy who won the bid must live next door to one of the properties or something?

Two were a half mile away from each other but one was 8 miles from the two.
Does anyone add fuel in for traveling when there are multiple properties?
I didn't because I felt like my work would shine and I would gain other customers from each subdivision.

Steve
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Does anyone add fuel in for traveling when there are multiple properties?
I didn't because I felt like my work would shine and I would gain other customers from each subdivision.

Ultimately all your costs have to be covered and you have to make a profit.

I have a hard time figuring square footage so I looked at each property and tried to estimate the time it would take for each of them.

Can you pace it out, width and depth? Multiply it and come up with the sq ft.

lowermower
07-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Ultimately all your costs have to be covered and you have to make a profit.

Yeah, you're right.

Can you pace it out, width and depth? Multiply it and come up with the sq ft.

Okay easy enough, so what's the rate per sq ft?

Steve
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, I would think most would start with an hourly rate to shoot for early on. It seems an easier way to estimate.

$45 an hour or so depending on your area.

When you are done with the jobs, measure the size of the property. Compare that sq ft to how long it takes you.

If you can mow a 1,000 sq ft in an hour, your estimated sq ft pricing on your estimating should be $45.

If you can mow 1000 sq ft in a half hour, your estimated sq ft pricing on your estimating should be ($45/2) or $22.50.

Does that make sense?

But remember, early on, try to figure out how long the job will take vs the cost per sq ft. It's much easier.

lowermower
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
It makes perfect sense.
Thanks for the tips!