PDA

View Full Version : What to start off with

clandscaping44
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a good amount of accounts, decient sized properties. So should I start off with a couple of toro and craftsman self-propelled mowers then upgrade to scag and all those commercial brand mowers later?

Steve
06-29-2010, 01:57 PM
What are you using now to mow them? How is that working out for you.

clandscaping44
06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
we'll they told me to start next week so i still have to buy the mowers. so should i start off with the craftsman/toro mowers?

mark123
06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I started off with a Toro Proline 36" that I paid $1300 for, a Toro Personal Pace that I paid $0 for, an Echo weed whacker that I paid $0 for and a Echo backpack blower that I paid $300 for. I bought some ramps with safety straps and put them all in the back of my pickup that my dad gave me the year before.

I've upgraded the mower and weed whacker (since both blew up). I wouldn't really start without at least a 36" walkbehind. Also, you need insurance. NEED!

NewLeafca
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a good amount of accounts, decient sized properties. So should I start off with a couple of toro and craftsman self-propelled mowers then upgrade to scag and all those commercial brand mowers later?

When you say decent size what do you mean? That should help you decided on what to get. I started out with my 21" yard machine (not self propelled) that I already had. But I only had small lawns. As I got bigger size lawns I got bigger mowers. It just all depends on how hard you want to work. I had a small homelite trimmer that didn't last long, and no blower did all the clean up with a broom.

You can start out with just about anything it's just that the smaller and crappier the equipment is the harder you have to work to make it look good. If you start out with crappy equipment and do crappy work it won't matter what you get latter on people won't like your work.

jymie
06-30-2010, 02:54 AM
I started out last year with my personal craftsman rider LT2000. I had about 8 steady customers a week and it worked fine for me. Its not recommended for alot of commercial mowing but it got me started. This year I am mowing 25 lawns a week and I can see the wear on the machine starting. My plan next year is to start the year with my first zero turn mower. If your gonna start using push mowers only, I have one of each, both are mulch mowers and I have to give the Toro an edge as a better mulch mower.

When you say decent size what do you mean? That should help you decided on what to get. I started out with my 21" yard machine (not self propelled) that I already had. But I only had small lawns. As I got bigger size lawns I got bigger mowers. It just all depends on how hard you want to work. I had a small homelite trimmer that didn't last long, and no blower did all the clean up with a broom.

You can start out with just about anything it's just that the smaller and crappier the equipment is the harder you have to work to make it look good. If you start out with crappy equipment and do crappy work it won't matter what you get latter on people won't like your work.

clandscaping44
06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Tanks alot guys. going back to what NewLeafca, asked about property size,
the properties can run from a quarter of an acre to 3 quarters of an acre.