PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Spreader Settings?

Jack Rabbit
06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I have a Scotts Edge Guard Mini spreader for seeds and fertilizer. The settings on it go from 2 to 15. What does this mean in terms of pounds/1000 sq ft or similar measurements?

Anyone know of a reference that converts the settings of various brands of spreaders to some universally useful units?

swstout
06-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a Scotts Edge Guard Mini spreader for seeds and fertilizer. The settings on it go from 2 to 15. What does this mean in terms of pounds/1000 sq ft or similar measurements?

Anyone know of a reference that converts the settings of various brands of spreaders to some universally useful units?

Usually, the bag of fertilizer or seed has a chart for the various spreaders.

I no longer use spreader for fertilizer. I use liquid products exclusively now. For seeding, I use a drop spreader as opposed to a broadcast spreader because of the increased control it affords.

Steve

Jack Rabbit
06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks swstout. Yeah the bags usually list some spreaders and settings. I guess that if the Scotts super wonder deluxe spreader has settings 2 to 15 and Scotts edgeguard mini goes from 2 to 15 then setting X might mean the same on both.

What I'd like is to not guess. Any one know of a conversion for the Scotts spreaders to lbs/1000 sq ft or such? I've had no luck searching the web.

Maybe I can estimate from areas covered by Scotts bags and the settings stated.

I might put sand in it and test the various settings.

Steve
06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I might put sand in it and test the various settings.

Let us know what you find.

Jack Rabbit
06-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I'll post what I find.

Best bet I think is to use the info. on bags of various brands to derive the meaning of the settings.

I thought about my plan to test with sand. I'll have to use something that is about the same density or weight as seed and fertilizer, easy to get, and free or very cheap.