PDA

View Full Version : How?

Lawnsharks
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Down here there are ALOT of illegal immigrants. They mow the lawns and include ALL services for $20. HOW do i compete? I need higher than 20...

mark123
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Do what they do. Don't pay taxes or spend money on that expensive insurance. Now you can do lawns for $20, too!

Steve
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
You have to play up what you have and they don't have.

What reasons do you feel a customer should choose you over illegal immigrants?

naturaldesigns
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
what I did was make a flyer on it I had, Is your lawn/landscape service licensed? Insured? Find out.
When people relized that their landscaper was not insured they went looking elsewhere and guess who they called. They had my number on the flyer.

picframer
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
This has been going on here in lawn care which is why I don't push mowing, simply no money in the residential side and the trunk slammers can't get commercial because they are not registered etc. Now I see them in the landscaping, There is this Gonzalis Landscaping around, seen their truck, the work leaves much to be desired but it's generally too late but I have had a few in pressure washing state this Gonzalis could do it for xxx.xx, why are you so much higher? I simply reply we are licensed, insured, registered, workers comp and tax payers, If you think about it, if our country was run by an underground economy you and I would probably not be having this conversation. Most call or email accepting the bid, if they don't then that is fine also.

NewLeafca
06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
what I did was make a flyer on it I had, Is your lawn/landscape service licensed? Insured? Find out.
When people relized that their landscaper was not insured they went looking elsewhere and guess who they called. They had my number on the flyer.

I did this also and it works great. I also have another flyer that ask if you are happy with the quality of work and communication with your landscaper. I have picked up several clients who were tired of the trunk slammers not returning phone calls. They stop showing up for a few weeks or do a quick crappy job and when the client calls they don't call back. People get tired of them quickly and you can get them if you do it right.

I have a client who wanted a patio put in his backyard. He asked me if I could give him an estimate and so I did. He also got estimates from three other companies, two of witch I know are illegals and not licensed. My estimate was the highest of the four. My client asked me why I was so much higher then the others. I told him because I am licensed, insured and guarantee my work. I told him if he wanted the job done right then let me do it. If he wanted to go with the others that was fine with me, just remember it will cost you double for me to fix their work.

He had one of the other guys do it and it took them almost 2 weeks to do it. I just shook my head as I watched them work. In just two months months time the concrete is falling apart there are large cracks all over. The patio is not level and the water is running under the house into the foundation. He can not get a hold of the company that did the work for him and they have even changed their number. Well next week I will be redoing his patio witch is fine by me because it is now more money for me then the original job would have been. Just hang in their you will get the clients if you are legitimate and do quality work.

swstout
06-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Down here there are ALOT of illegal immigrants. They mow the lawns and include ALL services for $20. HOW do i compete? I need higher than 20...

Itís only going to get worse

This mornings headlines! http://www.foxnews.com/ (http://www.foxnews.com/)

The Obama administration has been holding behind-the-scenes talks to determine whether the Department of Homeland Security can unilaterally grant legal status on a mass basis to illegal immigrants.

White House Picks Sanctuary City Supporter and Critic of Local Immigration Enforcement for Key Role at ICE. Former Houston police chief Harold Hurtt has been an outspoken opponent of immigration enforcement on the local level and critics say his policies enabled illegals to kill two Phoenix police officers.

Steve

Steve
06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Does anyone play up the fact that if an uninsured contractor or employee of such a contractor gets injured on a jobsite, they can sue the homeowner to cover their damages?

That should scare the crap out of any home owner.

NewLeafca
06-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Does anyone play up the fact that if an uninsured contractor or employee of such a contractor gets injured on a jobsite, they can sue the homeowner to cover their damages?

Can they really wow I didn't know that. That would scare the crap out of me.

picframer
06-26-2010, 04:32 AM

While I knew this I hadn't thought about it and it's a very good tool that we should consider using, presented properly to the prospect.

Steve
06-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Check out the free flyer section here

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200

for the flyer that says 'you could be sued.'

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=178&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1214390847

tjgray
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Hey there Steve and forumers :)

Been incrediably busy around here! We have added on 60 new customers and two additional helpers and now are at the point to where our schedule is completely full and we are not accepting any new customers at this time...

Lol remember when we were worried about changing our name and the impact it may have?? I can definately say it was the best decision we could have ever made!!

Anyways you know since we are in Texas this is an issue we have to deal with quite often and I just had to chime in.

It does get frustrating at the amount of illegal competition we have around here sometimes but we always remind them of the fact that if an accident were to occur while using an un-insured contractor then their homeowners insurance would be liable. I ask them what would happen if a mower slings a rock and heaven forbid it hits a child in the eye. I remind them that while taking care of a lawn may not be rocket science it does involve working with dangerous equipment.

That in itself is enough to usually sway a potential customer our way and if it doesn't and they still go with our illegal competition then we don't want them as a customer anyway.

Plus around here the high amount of illegal competition can work to our advantage...I can't tell you how many customers we have added on because they couldn't communicate with their last provider :)

We do feel very fortunate. This is a huge area and there is a lot of grass to cut plus we have mild winters so we pretty much work all year!

Illegal competition does irritate me if for no other reason then it brings the industry as a whole down, especially the ones spraying chemicals without the proper licenses, but really we are as busy as we want to be so we don't have the time to worry about it too much:)

Steve
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Been incrediably busy around here! We have added on 60 new customers and two additional helpers and now are at the point to where our schedule is completely full and we are not accepting any new customers at this time...

Lol remember when we were worried about changing our name and the impact it may have?? I can definately say it was the best decision we could have ever made!!

Yes i do remember and that is fantastic news! For all the members here who are where you were back then, what do you attribute all of your growth too?

What suggestions do you have for them to get that busy and not be able to take on any new customers?

Plus around here the high amount of illegal competition can work to our advantage...I can't tell you how many customers we have added on because they couldn't communicate with their last provider

This sounds like something that could be used in a marketing campaign. Since it is an issue, is this something you point out when you are marketing or when you try to make a sale?

KieneLandscaping
07-11-2010, 02:51 AM
What do you do if you can not apply for any of these permits or insurance because of your age? I'm 17 and have quite a few accounts, when I turn 18 i'll be applying for all the permits and business requirements, but that wont be for a few months. What do I do until then. I'm just an American kid with a lawn mower, I'm not looking to screw over anyone. Anyone have any advice/help?:confused:

picframer
07-11-2010, 07:28 AM
For now register in your parents name and get your butt covered, should something happen and god forbid, the law doesn't care what age you are nor does the courts on both sides of the border (Canada and USA)

JP Landscaping
07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
not much you can really do. A lot of kids are this way. You got to do what you got to do. But when you do get a chance and can afford it, then get the paperwork in order.