PDA

View Full Version : County Contract, need help

jasonw
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Ok so I put my feelers out there today. I was told by a family member working for the county "Not the one I live in" to turn in a bid and they will have it accepted but I have no clue how to do this. They said just tell them a dollar amount is all I have to do. The job is 11 acres with ten holding ponds. Each pond has a 5-6 foot bank at 45 degrees that needs weed eating. They gave me a hint and said the boss like hourly rates rather than a cost for the whole job. My baseline rate is $35 per hour. The job site is 40 miles round trip. Any advice? $35 per hour sound good for weed eating or should I go higher or lower? I know I can get a high bid accepted just because of the situation but I dont want that. I want to be fair about the price. I already told them if I happen to fall in one of the crap ponds while working it will be an automatic $4,000 minimum lol. Any help or suggestions?

robgee05
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok so I put my feelers out there today. I was told by a family member working for the county "Not the one I live in" to turn in a bid and they will have it accepted but I have no clue how to do this. They said just tell them a dollar amount is all I have to do. The job is 11 acres with ten holding ponds. Each pond has a 5-6 foot bank at 45 degrees that needs weed eating. They gave me a hint and said the boss like hourly rates rather than a cost for the whole job. My baseline rate is $35 per hour. The job site is 40 miles round trip. Any advice? $35 per hour sound good for weed eating or should I go higher or lower? I know I can get a high bid accepted just because of the situation but I dont want that. I want to be fair about the price. I already told them if I happen to fall in one of the crap ponds while working it will be an automatic $4,000 minimum lol. Any help or suggestions?

If the boss likes hourly rates then give him your hourly rate. Sounds easy enough to me. I assume you can just bill the county hourly thereafter.

jasonw
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes I understand that but dose $35 per hour seem like a reasonable rate for weed eating the banks of holding ponds? I don't want to charge to much but at the same time I want to be fair to myself as well.

JP Landscaping
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
$35 an hour is my base rate. I think it's fair. After all if you charge less than your base rate you won't be making the money you have set out to make.

robgee05
06-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Yes I understand that but dose $35 per hour seem like a reasonable rate for weed eating the banks of holding ponds? I don't want to charge to much but at the same time I want to be fair to myself as well.

If you charge any less, you might as well be working for the county. Since youll be using you own equipment. If the county pays someone they have vacation days, healthcare maybe a pension, Ins etc.

jasonw
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
If you charge any less, you might as well be working for the county. Since youll be using you own equipment. If the county pays someone they have vacation days, healthcare maybe a pension, Ins etc.

I take it you think $34 per hour is to low? What do you suggest?