PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Job

EgLawns
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Hello can anyone help me bid this job? So the guy wants me to take out all the old mulch and put in new mulch. I will need 25 bags of mulch (he is providing), and about 2 hours to take the old mulch out. How much do I charge him?

majoe7
06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
EG,
You need to know how much you want to make an hour when doing these simple jobs. I charge $30 an hour to remove or install mulch. If I have to clean the beds or prep them, that is more time and more money. I also charge this rate when I test sprinkler systems, do hedges, install plants, shrubs or small trees. This is the labor part of my job estimates. I donít put down the per hour on the estimate but the total cost of labor. On some job bids I give a scope of work to be completed, materials and the labor total in one bid. Not too often do clients ask for a complete breakdown of everything but make sure that you are making enough money to cover everything. I hope this helps.
John

Steve
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
When you look at your mowing service, how much do you find you charge per hour?

How many hours do you feel this job will take in total?

Can you then take that man hour cost and multiply it by your total estimated time?

You should tell us what your estimated amount of time is before and then come back and tell us what the actual time took afterwards.

It will be a great lesson on how much time we can be off by when we estimate.

EgLawns
06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
It took me around a hour and a half, I thought it would take a hour. I made 110 dollars as well.

Steve
06-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Good job. Your time estimation wasn't that far off. Were you happy with how everything turned out?