PDA

View Full Version : Major Mistruths (lies) From Obama's Energy Address

swstout
06-19-2010, 11:04 AM
In his Tuesday address to the nation, President Obama used the Gulf of Mexico tragedy to twist the facts, bend the truth, and attempt to capitalize on a national disaster to push job-killing energy tax legislation. Here are six mistruths presented by the president.

1. Mr. Obama started by saying, “We will fight this spill with everything we’ve got…we will do whatever’s necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy.” However, the president has not taken the first and easiest step to allow other countries to assist in the clean-up efforts by waving the Jones Act – yet another gift to Big Labor. President George W. Bush waived the Jones Act to allow assistance from foreign countries during the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita almost immediately. President Obama is preventing European companies firms with such advanced environmental technology to further his political gain.

2. “I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling (actually on all drilling in the US). I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs.” Apparently, the potential loss of 120,000 jobs and as many as 46,200 supporting jobs becoming idled by the moratorium, during the worst recession our country has experienced, is just a mere “difficulty” for the men and women whom these rigs employ. Last week it was reported that Obama’s Interior Secretary Ken Salazar cooked the books on a report on drilling for oil.

This moratorium was supposedly based on recommendations from oil experts. The seven experts, recommended by the National Academy of Engineering, who advised President Obama on how to deal with offshore drilling safety after the Deepwater Horizon explosion are accusing his administration of misrepresenting their views to make it appear that they supported a six-month drilling moratorium, which they all opposed. "None of us actually reviewed the memorandum as it is in the report."

In a letter these experts sent to Salazar, they said his primary recommendation "misrepresents" their position and that halting the drilling is actually a bad idea.
They also said that because the floating rigs are scarce and in high demand worldwide, they will not simply sit in the Gulf idle for six months. The rigs will go to the North Sea and West Africa, possibly preventing the U.S. from being able to resume drilling for years. They also said the best and most advanced rigs will be the first to go, leaving the U.S. with the older and potentially less safe rights operating in the nation’s coastal waters.

Salazar was forced to apologized to those experts Thursday. "The experts who are involved in crafting the report gave us their recommendation and their input and I very much appreciate those recommendations," he said. "It was not their decision on the moratorium. It was my decision and the president’s decision to move forward."

3. “Because of the dwindling oil supply in the US we have to go to the “Deep Water oil sights”. The actual presently known oil reserves in the US is sufficient for over 300 years of demand.

4. Most Americans can agree that, “Countries like China are investing in clean energy jobs and industries that should be here in America,” as the president said. Yet he must have forgotten that 80% of the first $1 billion spent on grants to wind energy companies in the Recovery Act went to foreign firms and jobs to build turbines overseas. In the second round of government grants, 79% of the $2.1 billion in grants went to companies based overseas; of this money, $2.9 billion went to wind overseas facilities.

The old factories that are reopening to produce wind turbines and the “small businesses [that] are making solar panels” the president mentioned are not market-created jobs. They are jobs artificially created by injecting taxpayer dollars into a certain sector stimulating artificial supply with no market demand.
For example, in Florida, the DeSoto Solar Center was supposed to be the “largest solar power plant in the United States,” according to President Obama. The center received $150 million from the Recovery Act. After using 400 construction workers to build the site, the Solar Center now employs only two people. These jobs are simply not sustainable.

Worldwide, the total annual energy currently produced by wind and solar doesn’t equal the annual energy produced by one Pennsylvania coal mine.
Bio-fuels - Cost twice as much to produce as gasoline (with a higher “carbon footprint”). Also, they are only 75% as efficient. If you get 20 mpg with gas, you will only get 15 mpg with bio-fuels!

5. It seems positive that the president claimed, “People are going back to work installing energy-efficient windows…” However, the President is referring to a program in the stimulus called “weatherization,” which many argue is the most failed attempt to artificially create jobs in the market where they wouldn’t typically exist. With $5 billion appropriated for this project, less than 10,000 homes have been weatherized nationwide out of 593,000 applicatins. Only $522 million ** less than 10 percent of the money available ** has been spent on weatherization.
The Inspector General found the jobs impact “has not materialized” and the Government Accountability Office found the application of costly Davis-Bacon wage requirements equates to over $57,000 per home nationwide. How this helps the economy is yet to be proven.

Obama ended his speech by referencing the House passed cap-and-trade bill saying, “Now, there are costs associated with this transition. And some believe we can’t afford those costs right now. I say we can’t afford not to.”

The real effects the president refers to are not something our economy can afford. If his vision is passed into law, gasoline prices will rise 58% , natural gas prices will rise 55% , heating oil prices will rise 56% , electricity prices will rise 90% .

6. The Wall Street Journal reported (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203863204574346610120524166.html) that the Obama administration will invest $2 billion (or more) in drilling off the shores of Brazil, of all places. The left does all they can to keep us from exploring off our own shores. Yet we’re suddenly investing $2 billion – that we don’t have – in a Brazilian oil company (owned in part by American Billionaire and Obama supporter George Soros?

SuperiorPower
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for point these things out. I am so tired of Obama's stupidity and the stupidity of the American people who blindly believe him. I hope more people will wake up before the November elections.

Steve
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Okay while I am reading this, I want to know how the heck that oil line is still leaking!

swstout
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
It’s going to continue to leak until they relieve the pressure compounded by the water pressure at that depth (6,000 pounds per square inch). To do this, they are drilling 3 additional wells.

The problem now is containment of the spill. This should have started on day 1. The barrier booms should have been deployed then, not on day 47. As with the skimmers. Our government acted in slow motion on containment. They didn’t even start capture of the spill until day 55 and refused abundant help from foreign concerns with the needed equipment and expertise. Louisiana got the containment booms 3 days after the oil made it into the marshlands. I feel the administration wanted the unending pictures of oiled birds, turtles, dolphins, etc. so they could push cap and tax. Yesterday, the Coast Guard stopped the skimmers that finally made it to the spill for safety inspections - not one at a time but all until all inspections were completed. I don’t think any of the many delays were coincidental.

Shallow well rigs have the preventers above the water line housed in a containment area incase there is an accident. There has been 60 years of drilling in the gulf without a single major accident! At 100 feet the pressure is only 176 pounds per square inch but the presenters are at sea level of at 16 pounds per square inch. Easy to deal with and contain.

Steve

Steve
06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Isnt it amazing how getting this leak resolved is high priority to some but not to others?

Gulf residents slam BP CEO for yacht outing (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37798557/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf) - BP chief executive Tony Hayward took a day off Saturday to see his 52-foot yacht "Bob" compete in a glitzy race off England's shore, a leisure trip that further infuriated residents of the oil-stained Gulf Coast.

odin_telamon
07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
It's a sad state of affairs all over the globe mate that politicians will tell porkies to the public et al and that the big business that make these problems will just give our political masters back handers etc....this is just a cynical pr stunt,if anyone truely believes that these people really care about anything other than their own hype then I'm sorry but IMO your mistaken...