PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation Job

ttw0513
06-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I might be getting a lawn renovation job and I was wondering what I should do; a complete renovation and new seed, dethatch mow short and overseed, or lay sod. Also what fertilizer and seed should I use and should I test the soil quality. Also its june in the northeast so the day temps reach 75-80 so is that a factor?

Thanks

picframer
06-17-2010, 06:05 AM
I might be getting a lawn renovation job and I was wondering what I should do; a complete renovation and new seed, dethatch mow short and overseed, or lay sod. Also what fertilizer and seed should I use and should I test the soil quality. Also its june in the northeast so the day temps reach 75-80 so is that a factor?

Thanks

Depends first on the client and what they want to spend and what they expect, if they want an overnight lawn sod is the answer, if they are willing to wait I would have to see the lawn as I can bring most back but a few have to be tilled under.

If we are replacing a lawn and the client has the bucks, the best thing is to remove the old sod, this is desperate expensive and most won't go that route so we till, add Organic Top Soil and Seed. As for fertilizer we use Natures Lawn Care on all lawns.

The Cleaning Doctor
06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
How can you bid this work without knowing what you are going to do?

ttw0513
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Depends first on the client and what they want to spend and what they expect, if they want an overnight lawn sod is the answer, if they are willing to wait I would have to see the lawn as I can bring most back but a few have to be tilled under.

If we are replacing a lawn and the client has the bucks, the best thing is to remove the old sod, this is desperate expensive and most won't go that route so we till, add Organic Top Soil and Seed. As for fertilizer we use Natures Lawn Care on all lawns.

What natures lawn care product specifically and do you till in the existing grass or do you remove the grass and then till?

picframer
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
What natures lawn care product specifically and do you till in the existing grass or do you remove the grass and then till?

Personally in cases like this the Dethacher sprayed first ( actually scalp the lawn or at least cut to two inches, we have high speed reverse tillers that till 48" at a time and level as you go, then roll, add top soil vut if seeding garden soil is better and gives faster germination, seed, light rake, roll, spray their fertilizer and natures magic, once the grass is ready to mow for the first time mow it and they spray Corn Gluten but do not spray Corn Gluten until after germination of the grass seed, it will almost stop it.

picframer
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
How can you bid this work without knowing what you are going to do?

Is this a question for me?

dorsten
06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Hello ttw:
I am a former golf course superintendent that has renovated 4 lawns from 3k to 7K sq. ft. with extreme success. My method is now being used by my former industry peers with mirrored results.

You need to wait until late Aug.-early Sept. for optimal results. Your area is entering its summer stress period that diminishes new seedling development. Don't try to germinate a cool season grass in a warm season enviroment. Fall is optimal.

Here is the method I have used. It is easy, inexpensive, and most importantly, it works! Do make sure you have good substainable soils first,- and amend as needed-.

Here we go.......

1. Completely kill yard with roundup. (3-4 week lead time)
2. Shave dead organic material off and remove. The glory here is that you will still have a layer of dead organic that will act as your mulch for watering. No straw!!!!!!!!
3. Slit seed in 3 directions at appropriate rates and fertilize.
4. Water properly.

All of my installations were mowed three-four weeks later. (Always mow new grass when it reaches its desired cutting heighth.)

Hope this helps-never hesitate to call me if I can be of further help.

David - Integrity Lawn Care 765-914-3579

Steve
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
You need to wait until late Aug.-early Sept. for optimal results.

How do you suggest selling this to a customer when they want it now, now, now.?