PDA

View Full Version : What licenses do I need?

ttw0513
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi, I'm looking to start a lawn service and property maintenance business in MASS and I was wondering what (if any) licenses I need to maintain lawns and do lawn renovations.

Thanks.

Steve
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi and welcome to our forum!

It seems each community and state handles their licensing differently. But on average we don't see licenses needed for lawn maintenance.

You might be alright with simply registering your business name and getting started.

Do you have any friends in the industry that live locally?

ttw0513
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks. And yeah I know a few guys..our area is littered with landscaping companies i'll be sure to ask one of them for advice sooner or later.

Steve
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
You may find the rules are different for landscapers than lawn care professionals.

You can always go to your town hall and ask them.

rob8804
08-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Steve, are you sure about this? Are you saying we don't need licenses just to do lawn mowing??

I thought that there were a lot of potential licenses we would need to get including state, county and local villages. But besides the state and county it seems too much. Do I really need a business license for every town that I work in? I have houses that are scattered around 5 or 6 towns, it just seems too much for me to get a business license for each town. Or do I just need one for the counties in which I have business?

Do I need a business license in my hometown despite the fact that I don't have any business here other than living and having my home office?

Steve
08-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Each community handles this differently so you have to visit your town hall to be sure.