PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas PLEASE

naturaldesigns
06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
let me tell you a little bit about myself. I started a lawn maintenance and landscaping company called Natural Designs we are in Central MS. I am having trouble staying busy, i can not get much work at all. I am doing this full time so i really need some help. I have made a website that will be up in running in a week, also i keep an add going on craigslist. I bought 5 ads in the yellowpages that come out at the end of the month, and i go door to door 2 days a week. but the problem is im still not getting many calls. Do you have any ideas I am willing to try almost anything at this point. Thanks[/FONT]

MountainViewGreenskeeper
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
what are you advertising? maintenance? install? both? could it be the area?
how the wording. is it K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. maybe post a few pictures or links.

lightninglawncare1
06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
The area is the biggest thing. If you advertise in a place where there are a lot of people that make high saleries, you might get more calls. You may have to travel to get to those areas, but it may be worth it. second, it just takes time, if you stay in it long enough, youll get some more. I would focus on unhappy customers. " IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR LAWN SERVICE, CALL ***** AT 727-555-9999. SATIFACTION GARUNTEED". or something like that. I got all my accounts because the other guys didnt do a good job for the amount of money they were paying them.

Steve
06-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi naturaldesigns,

Can you tell us how long you have been in business? That can play a huge roll in this.

It does take some time to plug into your community network and get the momentum going.

and i go door to door 2 days a week.

Also can you tell us what you are doing when you go door to door? This could help shed some light on the topic as well. Are you hanging door hangers or are you talking to people? Do you look around the property? Do you give bids on the spot? Give us some insight.

Also do you have truck signs on your truck and trailer? Do you have business shirts? Do you have business cards?

naturaldesigns
06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I have been working for someone the past 4 years I was his landscape foreman. This is my first season out on my own I started in Jan. When I go door to door I try to speak with the homeowner if they are not at home I write a little something on the flyer and leave it for them. I find things that need attention now or will need attention and point it out to them. Sometimes if they just want a yard cut I will price it on the spot but if its more work or if they want a contract I go to the office and make a bid proposal and go back the next day to deliver. My sign for my trailer came in today so maybe that will help, and yes i do have business cards and try to hand them out everywhere. NO shirts yet it hard for me to justify spending more until i make a little more. thanks

Steve
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I have been working for someone the past 4 years I was his landscape foreman.

When you reflect back on the marketing they did that brought in work, what kinds of things stand out?

Did you play any role in sales for the other company?

naturaldesigns
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Most of my work came from my door to door efforts but most of that work was just a one time deal. My goals are to have 10-15 yearly contracts right now im at 2 with just some simple jobs every week like pull weeds or one time mow or a small flowerbed install/replace.

As for the other company he got the calls and i would go make the sale we were always on the same page for pricing so he would let me price them but it just seemed as if those customers were going to buy no matter what.

Steve
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
it just seemed as if those customers were going to buy no matter what.

Being that you have experienced that and what you are experiencing now, what is your view on why there is a difference? What do you attribute to that change?

naturaldesigns
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
it seems to be that he had built a name for himself. i just wish i could tell the customers i did the work not him and now i own my own company call me, but i know i can not say that. This year will be his 7th year in business so i guess it just takes time. But he never did any advertising except for name on truck and word of mouth i guess.

Steve
06-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Isnt that fascinating how it all works?

The early stages of a business are very difficult because you don't have much of a customer base to build that word of mouth.

The best thing to do is to meet people. As you drive around, stop at houses that could use your different services. One of our forum members had made a bunch of different postcards for different services he offers. When he seems someone that needs lawn cutting, he will drop off that one postcard. Or if they need fertilization services, he will drop off another.

The key is to find a need and fill it. Find the customer that needs a service and give them that service.

Talk to your neighbors and try to get them to sign up. Also try to get the neighbors of your customers to sign up.

What ever you do, don't give up. Realize this is the toughest part when getting started and know you can push through.

Keep us posted on how everything goes and how your new trailer signs look.

naturaldesigns
06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you steve and everyone else whom replied. This is a great website Thanks for the help.

Steve
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
You are very welcome. I want to hear more updates from you as you go!

StartALawnCareBusiness
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
NaturalDesign:

When you go door to door, do you have your equipment with you? I've always found that if you can do work on a spur-of-the-moment basis the customer is more likely to let you do the work right away and will then hire you on for the rest of the summer.

Also, be sure your estimates are inline with what the market will bear in your area.