PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Lawn

mark123
06-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I've a question for swstout and picfarmer and others that use Nature's Lawn products.

It seems to be a couple of bucks less expensive to order Nature's Magic and Aerify! separately than it is to order the combination product called Aerify! Plus. In larger quantities I'm sure that makes a significant difference. The question is do you buy it separately and do you customize the mix of the products according to the conditions of the lawn and weather?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Im still learning but it seems to be adjust to what the yard needs. So its not a one size fits all with the aerify! Plus.

picframer
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Seperate, you see you can never put too much on so if I have a yard that has severe clay, I will triple the Aerify and a regular mixture of Natures Magic, we buy totes and get a pretty steep discount as we go through so much.

swstout
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I get them sepeately also for the same reason as Andy plus I mix it with fertilizer, lwn sulfur, lawn iron, etc. You can mix and match all of Nature's Lawn products and do double, tripple duty plus. I.E. fertilize, dethatch, aerify, weed cintrol, insect control alll at the same time.

Steve

p.s. You can even apply them on rain days.

picframer
06-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I get them sepeately also for the same reason as Andy plus I mix it with fertilizer, lwn sulfur, lawn iron, etc. You can mix and match all of Nature's Lawn products and do double, tripple duty plus. I.E. fertilize, dethatch, aerify, weed cintrol, insect control alll at the same time.

Steve

And Corn Gluten, just make sure you don't seed or over seed using Corn Gluten, it pretty much wipes out germination for weeks

mark123
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks fellows. :) I'm just trying out a few quarts for now since I got my spray rig. I'm planning to calibrate it on Monday.

... plus I mix it with fertilizer, lwn sulfur, lawn iron, etc. ...
May I ask about those other products. Are they Nature's Lawn or other companies? I'm really interested in adding iron to the mix. It really greens the lawns up in a few days.

picframer
06-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks fellows. :) I'm just trying out a few quarts for now since I got my spray rig. I'm planning to calibrate it on Monday.

May I ask about those other products. Are they Nature's Lawn or other companies? I'm really interested in adding iron to the mix. It really greens the lawns up in a few days.

Really depends on the lawn we are loking at

swstout
06-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Liquid Lawn Iron Quick Greening Blend Natural Liquid Iron for Lawns - One Gallon (http://cheap-hit.pgpartner.com/rd.php?pg=~~9&r=5316&m=780198919&mt=~~~~~~~cheaphit_default~n~~~~&q=n&skd=0&dl=1&source=xmlapi&search_id=b408e5f5b7b3779a83ddd5fb686c46f2&set=1276479253&k=e6b268554ccc9ac2f88e1920c3b6b91a)
Liquid Lawn Sulfur Soil Sul Liquid Sulfur - Gallon (http://cheap-hit.pgpartner.com/rd.php?pg=~~9&r=5316&m=54606076&mt=~~~~~~~cheaphit_default~n~~~~&q=n&skd=0&dl=1&source=xmlapi&search_id=c6ce81160ac31be6adcbceea145f9f05&set=1276479326&k=e3241ddb7fc1bdbb28406cfc2caa88b0)
Liquid Lawn Lime http://www.turboturf.com/Liquid_Lime.htm (http://www.turboturf.com/Liquid_Lime.htm)
Gluten-8 http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/9/index.htm (http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/9/index.htm)

Steve

mark123
06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks! :) Fantastic!!

picframer
06-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Have a question for you guys, should probably have started a new thread.

I had a call on the weekend from a client, from time to time we all get bad grass seed.

My clients all know where we get our products from, I haven't called our supplier of Organic soils but the client claims they called them to ask why their grass may not be growing after we did a turf dressing job, the client claims the owner of the company went out and said it was due to the fact that we did not apply things properly and the seed was baked, first off this is BS as we haven't had that many hot days yet, he told the client you seed and then turf dressing, what we do is lay the dressing, seed, rake, roll and seed.

Needless to say I was furious so I haven't called them yet as I want to give my wording some thought, we have never had an issue before, I know what the issue is and it's the Corn Gluten, it is slowing germination by weeks.

mark123
06-14-2010, 06:53 AM
I guess it depends on the turf dressing, especially it's depth. Did you put corn gluten in the mix or does it come from the factory that way? I have always prepared the soil before seeding, just like you do.

Seed has been taking an extra long time to germinate around here. Either that or folks are just getting more impatient. They want to plant the seed, go have a cup of coffee and come out and see it sprout. :shrug:

What's the depth of the dressing?

picframer
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I guess it depends on the turf dressing, especially it's depth. Did you put corn gluten in the mix or does it come from the factory that way? I have always prepared the soil before seeding, just like you do.

Seed has been taking an extra long time to germinate around here. Either that or folks are just getting more impatient. They want to plant the seed, go have a cup of coffee and come out and see it sprout. :shrug:

What's the depth of the dressing?

3/4 to 1" tops, it's taking three weeks to germanate as our nights just are not warm enough yet.

mark123
06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
3/4 to 1" tops, it's taking three weeks to germanate as our nights just are not warm enough yet.
Is it Kentucky Bluegrass? If so three weeks is about right.

picframer
06-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Is it Kentucky Bluegrass? If so three weeks is about right.

It is two kinds of Kentucky however it has Red Fescue and Rye grass as well to get the green up going faster, I buy from Halifax Seed as they make this themselves and have been in business over 50 years.

But as you noted people want results yesterday, if so then sod for frig sake.

Then again some lawn just need a kick in the butt and turf dressing does it but like a lot of things you have to be patient.

mark123
06-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Well, just make sure it comes in perfectly and then tell them "I told you it would work". :p

mark123
06-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Back to the Nature's Lawn questions. Do you guys have any issues with streaking? Is overlapping a bit more than necessary an issue? Will missing a small strip cause light lines in the yard? What nozzles are you using in your spray rigs?

Also, do you have any issues with over-applying iron or streaking with iron?

swstout
06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Back to the Nature's Lawn questions. Do you guys have any issues with streaking? Is overlapping a bit more than necessary an issue? Will missing a small strip cause light lines in the yard? What nozzles are you using in your spray rigs?

Also, do you have any issues with over-applying iron or streaking with iron?

I have found that the liquid products (Nature’s Magic, Fertilizers, Aerify, dethatcher, etc) delivers better and more consistent coverage. The plant feeding products works via Foliar (absorbed thru the leaves) and also thru the roots. Granular products must be dissolved thru irrigation or rain and are often washed to low spots giving inconsistent coverage. I have had no problems with streaking with any of the products.

For large areas, I use a tow behind sprayer that has an 80” coverage. For smaller areas and garden and flower beds I use a hose end sprayer.

Steve

Paineless Creations
06-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Steve

When you spray are you mixing it with a water sprayer on the end of the hose. or are you appying it direct through a spayer. I know the arrify plus comes with a water sprayer attachment just asking.

swstout
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
When you spray are you mixing it with a water sprayer on the end of the hose. or are you appying it direct through a spayer. I know the arrify plus comes with a water sprayer attachment just asking.

I have 2 tow behind sprayers , (a 25 Gallon and a 40 gallon). These I use whenever possible.

I also use a back pack sprayer for flower gardens (for more control as the solutions tend to stain the flowers - especially white flowers). The back pack sprayer will wear you out but sometimes it is worth it for esthetic value.

I use a hose end sprayer for areas I can’t get the tow behind units in (fenced areas, etc.).

I like the Ortho hose end sprayer because it has a wide mouth for adding the solutions with less spillage and it has many various settings for application. You can get them at just about any hardware store less than $15.00. (attachment 3)

Because most of the Nature’s Lawn products have molasses (as a food source for the various biolife, the filters tend to clog rapidly. I keep Club Soda and Ziplock Baggies on all my vehicles for this purpose. Put the filter (screens) in a baggie with some Club Soda and shake it for a few seconds. The Club Soda quickly cleans the screens. (It works well on all three spray methods - tow behind, back pack and hose end).

Here is what one application of Nature’s Magic will do for rooting after only one week. A picture is worth a thousand words and are great for closing sales and getting annual contracts. (Attachment 2)

Here is the root development after one season with the application of Natures Magic and Aerify every 4 weeks. Water needed for irrigation is reduced 50-75%, erosion is pretty much eliminated and most weeds are pushed out. (attachment 1)

Steve

mark123
06-20-2010, 05:21 PM
I think I'm going to have to add some anti-foaming agent. When spraying the Aerify it looks like the Lawrence Welk show! HAHAH!! Bubbles everywhere!!! :D

Do you use anything for anti-foaming?

swstout
06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I think I'm going to have to add some anti-foaming agent. When spraying the Aerify it looks like the Lawrence Welk show! HAHAH!! Bubbles everywhere!!! :D

Do you use anything for anti-foaming?

No, it disipates quickly and lets me lnow what I have covered. I do ad a dechlorinator though. Chlorine (from city water supplies) will kill of the biolife in the Aerify (and the Dethatcher too). I get Pond Dechlorinator at Lowe's. One tin will last you a year.

Steve

Paineless Creations
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Great I think I will get the hose end sprayer. I have testing the Aerify plus and the Bio-Enhanced 16-4-8 fertilizer they sell on my lawn and I am liking the results I am thinking about selling this service to customers. I am a small time outfit and this is my first year in the business. Here are my thoughts.
Mix together
1 gal of ArifyPlus
1 gal of nature Iron you posted earlier from amazon
and
2.5 Gal of Bio-Enhanced fertilizer.

and then spray through the hose end sprayer.

But I guess i have a minor problum of storing 4 gallons of mixed product, What do i store it in and how long is shelve life mixed together. I can put it in a controled temp enviroment.

I guess the other thought I have on this is how often do i spray this on a customers lawn. I read on here every 2-4 weeks on products. But the average customer likes a Scotts 4 times a year methed from home depot.

So what would be a charge for this everytime you go out and spray couple of week or monthly.

Maybe I am just over thinking all of this. What are your thought on all of this?

Bobby

swstout
06-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Great I think I will get the hose end sprayer. I have testing the Aerify plus and the Bio-Enhanced 16-4-8 fertilizer they sell on my lawn and I am liking the results I am thinking about selling this service to customers. I am a small time outfit and this is my first year in the business. Here are my thoughts.
Mix together
1 gal of ArifyPlus
1 gal of nature Iron you posted earlier from amazon
and
2.5 Gal of Bio-Enhanced fertilizer.

and then spray through the hose end sprayer.

But I guess i have a minor problum of storing 4 gallons of mixed product, What do i store it in and how long is shelve life mixed together. I can put it in a controled temp enviroment.

I guess the other thought I have on this is how often do i spray this on a customers lawn. I read on here every 2-4 weeks on products. But the average customer likes a Scotts 4 times a year methed from home depot.

So what would be a charge for this everytime you go out and spray couple of week or monthly.

Maybe I am just over thinking all of this. What are your thought on all of this?

Bobby

Bobby,

I would do things a little differently because the coverage of the various products differs.

Aerify - 1 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 128,000 sq. ft. per gallon
Nature’s Magic - 4 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 32,000 sq. ft. per gallon
16-4-8 - 6 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 21,200 sq. ft. per gallon
Liquid Iron - 7 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 17,600 sq. ft. per gallon

I would make my mixture:
Aerify - 10 oz
Nature’s Magic - 70 oz
16-4-8 - 120 oz
Liquid Iron - 48 oz

This would make 2 gallons of mixture and would have a coverage of 35,200 sq. ft.

I spray every 4 weeks on contract. This mixture and frequency will vary with turf type. Centipede grass (if you service it) should not use the 16-4-8 (requires very little nitrogen and you should eliminate phosphorous and potassium) and I would substitute liquid Iron with liquid sulfur.

Steve

mzlawncare
06-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Does Natures lawn Make a product that kills dandilions?

swstout
06-21-2010, 06:05 AM
http://organiclawncarestore.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7EFF0A1776EB421!161.entry

Try this

Steve

XtreemGreen
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I sent you a PM Steve...

swstout
06-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I replied to your PM

Steve

Paineless Creations
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Bobby,

I would do things a little differently because the coverage of the various products differs.

Aerify - 1 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 128,000 sq. ft. per gallon
Nature’s Magic - 4 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 32,000 sq. ft. per gallon
16-4-8 - 6 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 21,200 sq. ft. per gallon
Liquid Iron - 7 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. - 17,600 sq. ft. per gallon

I would make my mixture:
Aerify - 10 oz
Nature’s Magic - 70 oz
16-4-8 - 120 oz
Liquid Iron - 48 oz

This would make 2 gallons of mixture and would have a coverage of 35,200 sq. ft.

I spray every 4 weeks on contract. This mixture and frequency will vary with turf type. Centipede grass (if you service it) should not use the 16-4-8 (requires very little nitrogen and you should eliminate phosphorous and potassium) and I would substitute liquid Iron with liquid sulfur.

Steve

Very good info. Thank you

I do have a question isn't Aerify Plus a mixture of nature magic and aerify so why dont you use that and it is one less thing to buy and mix?

swstout
06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Very good info. Thank you

I do have a question isn't Aerify Plus a mixture of nature magic and aerify so why dont you use that and it is one less thing to buy and mix?

Aerify Plus is a 50/50 misture of Aerify and Nature's Magic. The coverage of Aerify is 400% that of Nature's Magic. For a gallon of each 128,000 to 32,000 sq. ft. I apply every 4 weeks and get better results than using Aerify Plus once and then just Nature's Magic for the rest of the applications. Also, it gives me one less product that has to be climate controlled.

Steve

mark123
07-16-2010, 03:43 AM
It's getting hot and dry. Any recommendations beyond watering? Aerify should help watering be more effective, right?

Unfortunately, I have left my Bio-dethatcher and Nature's Magic in a non-climate controlled garage. There's only about 16 ounces of each left (about enough to do my lawn again), what happens to it when it gets above 80°F?

picframer
07-16-2010, 04:40 AM
It's getting hot and dry. Any recommendations beyond watering? Aerify should help watering be more effective, right?

Unfortunately, I have left my Bio-dethatcher and Nature's Magic in a non-climate controlled garage. There's only about 16 ounces of each left (about enough to do my lawn again), what happens to it when it gets above 80°F?

Aerify will work but it really depends on the soil at the location, on my own lot it took me over a year to get the clay broken down and probably 5 applications.

Aside from watering in very dry conditions which we have been having which is rare for us it has become a serious issue as lawns are turning brown, most of our clients are on wells and some have massive lawns, there isn't a lot they or we can do.

As for storage, Contact Stuart Franklin, I personally store mine in a section of a garage I built that is climate controlled summer and I try to calculate it so that come October I am out of product, I generally have some left over but not a lot, bring it into the house and store it in the basement which in my case is heated with a wood stove, it's in a room that may hit 80 but I doubt it.