PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alabama!

JCW
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm trying to help my teenage son earn some extra cash to pay his own way to several summer camps that he wants to attend. We live in a large residential area with most of the lots being less than half an acre. I figured he could cut some yards, and I could help him by doing the trimming. I told him if he would venture out and give this a try, I would help him as best I can.:)

Steve
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
That is very nice of you!

What kinds of things has he been doing so far to promote his business?

JCW
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
He really hasn't done much to promote it. He has a part time job, but it only pays minimum wage and not many hours. We were going to put out some flyers, and maybe go knock on some doors too. We were going to focus on the ones that have overgrown yards. I figured he could make more for his time mowing yards.

Steve
06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I would say talk to all the neighbors you can.

We were going to focus on the ones that have overgrown yards. I figured he could make more for his time mowing yards.

This is a fascinating topic. We have seen on here how when some lawn care business owners focus on only overgrown lawns, they find the lawns are overgrown for a reason.

A lot of times that reason is the home owner does not care or is broke and either way, those are bad customers.

So I would say don't limit yourself to one specific group like that to market too. You may think at first the group you have chosen is a slam dunk only to find yourself later sitting around waiting for the phone to ring after spending a lot of time marketing to one group.

Keep us posted on how it all goes for you.