PDA

View Full Version : Here we grow again

picframer
06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Well part of the new additions arrived, the 50D excavator, OMG what a beast.

The new 3320 will be next week due to the T & T controls I want which is fine, Deere is letting me keep this 3320 that I was going to buy that is used until mine is ready.

Here is the project, a 2000 foot road, 4 feet of blast rock on the righ towards the ocean then on the left side, tiered rock walls all granite, this project will take months and the neighbour now wants the same which is great as it's expensive for me to move gear to small jobs.

I have seat time doing demo's for Deere using a 60D which we do not own but I had never operated the 50, like most of their equioment it blew me away.

lawncrafter56
06-12-2010, 09:03 AM
:) love it, thanks wolfy

swstout
06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Maybe you should consider becomming a John Deere Distributor!

The Hartsville distributor dropped John Deere and is now carrying Kuboto.

I had to go to Myrtle Beach (110 miles) to order my tractor. (being delivered on the 21st). I got the tractor, tiller, box blade, and sprayer. Already sold 6 jobs (till treat and sod). All Centipede turf.

Steve

Steve
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Holy Crap!

How heavy do you figure that boulder is! I can't believe it can pick something up so massive like that!

picframer
06-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Holy Crap!

How heavy do you figure that boulder is! I can't believe it can pick something up so massive like that!

I asked one of the employees who is an engineering student, he did some math, around 7,800 pounds and it played with it, I lifted rocks twice that size today, just shocking as this is solid white granite, desperate heavy per cubic inch.

Well it's official, the image below is my new office! I only wish...but this will be my view for the next few months.

The 50 is making me look good but costing me money, it's simply too fast,,,,,good lord I probably did 150 feet of road and wall towards the ocean today in five hours, that would be two to three days work with the 27.

Anyhow guys here is a progress update looking in the opposite direction, we are looking back towards the customers wharf, the customer changed their mind on the plan which is fine but it will take longer, they want a nice straight wall from the image of sitting in the excavator to the wharf, behind the excavator is a sharp turn then 1,700 more feet to the end of the property to a road I built down over the bank on the opposite side of the property.

The plan now is build a nice straight wall four feet high, back fill from the wall to the bank, build the tiered wall into the bank up to the lawn with gardens in each tier, then the area from the wall at the ocean side to the bank will be a walking path and grass.

Must be nice to have this kind of money but at least they changed their mind at a time where it doesn't matter too much, I will have to straighten the wall and move some placed rock but this is by the hour so I don't really care.

Driving home last night I looked at a project, we have been turning things down for weeks but this fellow has been pleading with me and is a client of this customer I am at, in short he bought an 8 acre parcel of land on a lake, hired an excavation company to build a road, long story short they were fired and its a $50,000 clean up, everything they did was wrong and it is the worst mess I have seen. It was late but I will post pictures next week as we are taking it on.

It so happend the site I am working on is a long time lawyer friend who referred me to this guy who owns a massive company that builds off shore drilling rigs. Anyhow he wants us to fix the mess, do it right, dig a foundation and septic system. I called Deere today and told them to get another 50 in, they want me to try a 60 they have but I have close to a 100 hours on the 60 in demo's and training and I am not really interested as it doesn't do that much more than the 50 but a big weight difference, I have to now find a good excavator operator and I happen to know someone who drives truck for a company that we buy top soil from, known this guy for two years and he has 5 years experience on an excavator and has been asking me to hire him for months.

Living the dream, had supper with my son who is writing mid terms, we don;t see each other near as much as we would like so all in all it was one amazing and perfect day, hot as heck here, going to enjoy a cold one and mow the lawn, has a case in the fridge for two months but haven't been home to enjoy one so here is tipping one to all my friends here!

picframer
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Maybe you should consider becomming a John Deere Distributor!

The Hartsville distributor dropped John Deere and is now carrying Kuboto.

I had to go to Myrtle Beach (110 miles) to order my tractor. (being delivered on the 21st). I got the tractor, tiller, box blade, and sprayer. Already sold 6 jobs (till treat and sod). All Centipede turf.

Steve

Have far too much on my plate now.

I am not defending Deere, it is unfortunate when a dealer doesn't treat their customers right, I tend to read this a lot on your side of the border, dealers that go far and beyond and those that should not have been allowed to sell the equipment.

Mine goes far beyond and I understand we are a fairly big customer but I have clients that buy lawn tractors and GT's from them and get the same quality of support as I do.

Did you end up with the 749? Post pics, we all love pics, any questions I know this unit inside out.

swstout
06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes I went with the x749. Can I get a front loader for it

picframer
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Yes you can, I don't use the 749 for loader work but many of the guys that own them do.

Do you have the PTO and three point hitch on yours?

Getting late but I seem to recall the guys putting a Jonny Bucket on them.

swstout
06-12-2010, 11:06 PM
yes, at your posts I went for the PTO and three point hitch. I feel the combination will open up much more opportunity for me. I am not even advertising mowing any more, just soil improvement, new seed, over seeding and sod. I have enough work to keep me going till September.

Steve

picframer
06-13-2010, 06:50 AM
yes, at your posts I went for the PTO and three point hitch. I feel the combination will open up much more opportunity for me. I am not even advertising mowing any more, just soil improvement, new seed, over seeding and sod. I have enough work to keep me going till September.

Steve

Excellent Steve, first investment is a landscape rake with guage wheels, man the thing will pay for itself in no time, you can spead an 18 yard load of turf dressing in two hours by yourself.

picframer
06-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Steve, Deere may make a loader for this CUT, I have no idea but on the tractor forum this is what the guys are running and swear by for Garden Tractors

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/

This is the one for the 749

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Sr_John_Deere_300-400.htm

swstout
06-13-2010, 11:13 AM
If I add that My bill will be about $18,800 + tax (8%).

x749
Box Blade,
Front Loader
42" Tiller
Tow Behind Sprayer

I feel I will be able to recover expenses this year. I already have 6 good jobs lined up and received requests for 4 more quotes.

Steve

picframer
06-13-2010, 04:55 PM

x749
Box Blade,
Front Loader
42" Tiller
Tow Behind Sprayer

I feel I will be able to recover expenses this year. I already have 6 good jobs lined up and received requests for 4 more quotes.

Steve

We have two, one paid for itself in 8 months, the other just under 10, after costs. Have you tilled with it yet? it's insane but watch your swing when you turn or you might take something out, did that one day spraying and as luck would have it the customer was sitting on the deck.....he just laughed, I was pissed as I broke a nozzle on the spray boom.

swstout
06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Haven't got the tiller yet. It will be delivered on the 21st. A week from tomorrow.

I broke a nozzle on my pull behind sprayer also. In a hurry! Haste makes waste! But after you do it once, you pay careful attention from then on!

Steve

picframer
06-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Haven't got the tiller yet. It will be delivered on the 21st. A week from tomorrow.

I broke a nozzle on my pull behind sprayer also. In a hurry! Haste makes waste! But after you do it once, you pay careful attention from then on!

Steve

Did you go with what they call the comfort seat option, OMG it is worth it's weight in gold!

swstout
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Did you go with what they call the comfort seat option, OMG it is worth it's weight in gold!

No I didn't. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. Is it expensive?

I have an appointment later this week with a home builder developing a gated community on Lake Robinson. Says he cleared 11 acres of forest and wants the lots leveled and sodded after construction and preferably sold. There will be 10 homes and a display model with 26 more acres of forest.

Steve

picframer
06-14-2010, 05:53 AM
No I didn't. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. Is it expensive?

I have an appointment later this week with a home builder developing a gated community on Lake Robinson. Says he cleared 11 acres of forest and wants the lots leveled and sodded after construction and preferably sold. There will be 10 homes and a display model with 26 more acres of forest.

Steve

Oh Steve and I mean really trust me on this one, get the upgrade to the comfort seat, you will be shocked and I mean shocked, we can mow or go across very rough terrain and it's like riding on air, I have honestly never seen anything like it. I don't recall what the cost was honestly but after I experienced this seat I ordered them for many of our tractors, you dial in your weight, adjust lower back support to what you want and holy smokes you could run this thing 16 hours on rough properties and never have a sore back, which is my beef with ZTR's.

Congratulations on this community, I would have to see it but if the excavation company left you a reasonable surface the 749 with the box blade will work fine, you should get them to put a top link cylinder on it and use the lower control by the steering wheel, what it does is change the angle of attack on the fly.

If you are going to get into this type of jobs, the 749 is not the machine, you need a 2305 or a 2320 which is actually cheaper but is built for landscape work and with turfs it could be used for mowing, I just find them a bit heavy. These two tractors (2305 & 2320) are built like a brick out house when it comes to landscaping, no matter what you seem to ask they just do it, any you can put a backhoe on, we have one on a 2305 and 2520 but they hardly see any work as we now have four excavators and they are simply faster and I can get into pretty much anywhere, will probably sell our backhoes back the next time we buy gear.

Better call your dealer before you take delivery and get his opinion.

Steve
06-14-2010, 07:46 AM
long story short they were fired and its a $50,000 clean up, everything they did was wrong and it is the worst mess I have seen. It was late but I will post pictures next week as we are taking it on.

I'd love to see the project and see what you felt they did wrong at the job site!

picframer
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd love to see the project and see what you felt they did wrong at the job site!

See my post from this evening

Steve
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't know how this differs from buying a car, but when you are buying a tractor with 8% sales tax on it, that is $1504.

Are you better off buying it out of state and hauling it back to avoid the sales tax? Or do you have to register it somehow and that is where they will get you with the sales tax?

swstout
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know how this differs from buying a car, but when you are buying a tractor with 8% sales tax on it, that is $1504.

Are you better off buying it out of state and hauling it back to avoid the sales tax? Or do you have to register it somehow and that is where they will get you with the sales tax?

Here you have to register it. It is taxed as real property just like your home which you are billed yearly (due Jan 15th.). Tractors over 15 HP.

All trailers must be licienced now (just started this year. Before you had to licience only if it had advertising on it or a capacity of over 1 ton). Now all trailers must be licienced if you take them on public roads. The good point is the licience is good for the life of the trailer.

Steve

picframer
06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Here you have to register it. It is taxed as real property just like your home which you are billed yearly (due Jan 15th.). Tractors over 15 HP.

All trailers must be licienced now (just started this year. Before you had to licience only if it had advertising on it or a capacity of over 1 ton). Now all trailers must be licienced if you take them on public roads. The good point is the licience is good for the life of the trailer.

Steve

Holy smokes you are lucky, we have to register and plate all tractors over 18 hp, trailer license cost is based on how much weight it can haul, some of my trailers cost me over $250 a year each just for license, and when they have electric brakes add another $64 per trailer for an annual inspection and sticker, and don't forget up here my insurance card has to show every friggin piece of equipment, talk about a PITA as each truck has to carry everything as we never know what truck is going to have what trailer with what equipment, don't have it with you? No problem, $1,000.00 fine, trust me it happend to me last year, I went to court and beat it but I have a damn good lawyer.

Steve
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I never would have thought anything over 15 - 18 hp had to be registered!

It's amazing all these costs that creep up.