PDA

View Full Version : New Business Owner

Bird's Nest
06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello all! My name is Jenna, & me & my fiance Chuck just started our own business called Bird's Nest Lawn Care & Landscaping. We're very excited! We just got our basic equipment yesterday. We are expecting our cards & other advertising to come in the mail soon. Yes, I know, that should have been the first thing we got! Like I said, we're NEW to this! I am going to run the business behind the scenes & Chuck will do the rest. We are looking for any suggestions from experienced people on the running of the business, getting customers & ect. Chuck actually works for a lawn care business right now & he's asking me if he can hand out his cards since his employer turns away so many potential customers.... I'm kind of wary about that. His employer would never sue... But, I just don't know. Anywho, we're going to start out with him doing this in the evening & weekends & then go from there. Any feedback?

robgee05
06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Hello all! My name is Jenna, & me & my fiance Chuck just started our own business called Bird's Nest Lawn Care & Landscaping. We're very excited! We just got our basic equipment yesterday. We are expecting our cards & other advertising to come in the mail soon. Yes, I know, that should have been the first thing we got! Like I said, we're NEW to this! I am going to run the business behind the scenes & Chuck will do the rest. We are looking for any suggestions from experienced people on the running of the business, getting customers & ect. Chuck actually works for a lawn care business right now & he's asking me if he can hand out his cards since his employer turns away so many potential customers.... I'm kind of wary about that. His employer would never sue... But, I just don't know. Anywho, we're going to start out with him doing this in the evening & weekends & then go from there. Any feedback?

He may not sue, but he probably would fire him. depending on how bad he needs his job and how close they are, he might want to come right out in the open with it. He may send the work he doesnt want his way. He may tell him to take a hike. Either way hell find out. And no employer deep down can be mad for an employee following a dream

MAKLawnCutter
06-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the party.

I dont recommend him handing out the cards while he is on THEIR clock, they may not sue him but, he may become unemployed before your expecting and you will be out of his income.

I started my business while i was managing a pizza shop (still work their on occasion actually) and my boss still didnt like me haggling with potentials while i was on the clock *shrug* not like i was stealing his business in anyway, it just isnt professional. Your fiance could keep a note pad with him and write the addresses of the turn-aways and go back to them after he is off the clock. Introduce himself as "Chuck" and i was given your address by a local company - or something along those line, maybe not worded EXACTLY like that sounds a bit stalkerish, or mass murder suspect?

Advertising and business start up: Starting up a lawn business is the TOUGHEST part. Finding new clients, KEEPING new clients. People DONT LIKE CHANGE in this industry. People in general DONT LIKE CHANGE. You will find out that with the minimal amount of lawns you start with, you will have drive bys "Hey, can you come cut mine?" "how much for a cut?" - Usually your best shot to cut some grass! Or YOU drive by and drop a card or something on their door to let them know, you will improve their lawn. Advertising as an independent, dont make yourself look like a big honcho' landscaping business. You as an independent can do things the big guys cant... like LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER AND THEIR NEEDS... I am a big customer service fanatic. The might drop you but, if you follow up, youll be back in their yard the next week ;).

Matt
M.A.K. Landscaping

Bird's Nest
06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi this is Chuck. First of all, thank you for taking time out of your day to write me your advice. That means alot. I will take great consideration of what you had to say.

Steve
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Your fiance could keep a note pad with him and write the addresses of the turn-aways and go back to them after he is off the clock. Introduce himself as "Chuck" and i was given your address by a local company - or something along those line, maybe not worded EXACTLY like that sounds a bit stalkerish, or mass murder suspect?

This is a good idea. I don't see anything wrong with you going back there after hours if your employer turned the job down.

Also have you been talking to your friends and family and neighbors about your new business? When you think about all the people you know, it could be a lot! Market to them and I bet it will give you a great jump start.