PDA

View Full Version : Discuss your success/failure

JP Landscaping
06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I think this thread might help new persons starting a lawn care business. It's basically to discuss your successes or failures.

How big of a company are you - 10 weekly lawns, 50 weekly lawns??

How long did it take you to get to this point?

What worked for you in the beginning/now to get customers?

how much did you start with?

- I suppose I can start. I'm more of landscaper though trying to get a lawn care side established. up to 3 lawns right now. My goal is 20 by the start of next season and 30 by the end of next season. this is my second year in business though kind of my first one completely on my own. What has worked for me in getting customers is craigslist. I get a lot of business from that... some word of mouth and a few from fliers. - I didn't start with much. I got a loan for a truck and my first job was a tree trimming job. So I rented an electric pole saw. With that money I bought some shovels. My next job was a mulch job. I had mulch delivered to the address and bought a wheelbarrow. so I kept adding tools as I got money. eventually I bought a trailer but before, I would rent one when I really needed it.

How about you all??

Steve
06-09-2010, 04:54 AM
You got me thinking. I always wish we could have exit interviews from members who get burnt out for what ever reason and decide to leave the industry. Sometimes the burn out seems to be caused by a few minor issues that were never fixed and instead left to fester.

It's difficult to get such information because when you reach that point, you have had it with everything and the last thing you want to do is talk more about it. But there is much to learn from such situations.

I hope others join in but here was a good discussion to add to yours.

Why I left the lawn care business. (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11733)