PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Line

jclaudesanders
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I am still in the process of starting my Lawn Care business and was curious if any of you guys had a preference on Trimmer line. I would imagine if you went the wrong way and chose the wrong line you would go through alot of it...

picframer
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I am still in the process of starting my Lawn Care business and was curious if any of you guys had a preference on Trimmer line. I would imagine if you went the wrong way and chose the wrong line you would go through alot of it...

Depends on the unit you are using and what it is you are cutting, we use 5 different lines, from Stihl ( I like the four sided line) to a 155mm Cord sold By Dr Power Equipment, each has their place.

jclaudesanders
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Thats the other thing. I havent bought a trimmer yet, I was thinking about the echo 225sb but idk...I dont plan on doing very much commercial esp. in my first year, if at all. Should I go with that trimmer or a different one? I do know I want straight shaft and I hear that .95 is a pretty good versatile line but should I keep the stock head with it or get another one? and why wouldnt you get one of those heads with the three steel blades that would cut everything and not have to replace them? Am I over thinking this or what?

mark123
06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I was using the Echo .095 but it just seemed to get used up too quickly. I tried the Husqvarna Titanium Force .095 and it lasts a whole lot longer. I've been using the Husqvarna for 2 years now and am quite happy with it.

I also tried some .105 but it just seemed to hurl rocks like crazy. :D

Definitely go with the Echo trimmer. Much easier to start and longer lasting. I just replaced my 9 year old Echo GT2400 with a Echo SRM265. The curved shaft is much more comfortable to use but the straight shaft is more powerful and gets the job done faster.

jclaudesanders
06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mark123 that was very helpful and I will def. be getting the 265...what about edgers? any insight into them? I know most Hacks just turn up there trimmer but nothing looks better than a freshly edged lawn...

Steve
06-06-2010, 01:44 AM
we use 5 different lines, from Stihl ( I like the four sided line) to a 155mm Cord sold By Dr Power Equipment, each has their place.

What kinds of different uses do you find work best with different types of line?

picframer
06-06-2010, 06:40 AM
What kinds of different uses do you find work best with different types of line?

We use a .105 both round and square for general grass trimming around trees etc.

We use .155 for really heavy grass and small brush, I run the square in this unit

Then we have two of the Dr. Power walk behind commercial trimmers which use a cord type line that is .155

We have a Red Line and a Black line but I forget what size they are and I know they don't get used often.

We use a Stihl FS250 that has a brush blade and another FS250 that has a Brush Knife

It really depends on what the staff are doing

picframer
06-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Thats the other thing. I havent bought a trimmer yet, I was thinking about the echo 225sb but idk...I dont plan on doing very much commercial esp. in my first year, if at all. Should I go with that trimmer or a different one? I do know I want straight shaft and I hear that .95 is a pretty good versatile line but should I keep the stock head with it or get another one? and why wouldnt you get one of those heads with the three steel blades that would cut everything and not have to replace them? Am I over thinking this or what?

I am not honestly familiar with Echo, I can tell you the preferred setup by all staff is the bicycle handles, straight shaft and Stihl makes a super comfortable body hardness, the one that comes with the units is OK but this one is around $125.00 and worth every penny.

I run Stihl as that is what the local John Deere dealers sells, we have a lot of Stihl equipment, 7 professional chain saws, four backpack blowers, 6 trimmers/brush saws, Kombi system (which in your case is what I would suggest to start as it has so many attachments), I have never had any issues with any of the gear. They make what I and the staff consider the most comfortable landscaping boot going, I think all but one staff member wears them.

Stihl has the market here, if you drive around and pass lawncare companies on sites, almost always they will have Stihl trimmers, even the city here runs them.

On the chainsaw side, I live in an area that is very large in tree harvesting both soft and hardwood, Stihl is the saw of choice.

mark123
06-06-2010, 08:22 AM
picframer, I hear the square line cuts the blades cleaner than the round. Do you find that to be true? If there is one thing I hate it's having a nice clean cut with frayed grass on the edges turning brown.

majoe7
06-06-2010, 12:26 PM
JC
I use two types of string for my trimmers. Both do their job. I use Echo Orange .095 and a brand I buy from our John Deere Dealer which is made by Rotary, Vortex Professional Nylon line .095" for $27.95 a roll. 800' I think. It is braided and holds up very well. Last forever. I wouldn’t recommend using steel blade when trimming due to the fact you may cut cable lines, irrigation tubing in beds or like Mark said hurl rock at you or a house to do some damage.

When I first started out I went to Home depot and bought an Echo SRM 210 line trimmer $229 and a PE 200 Edger $249 and they both still work and run great after 6 years. I also have a Stihl combo like Andy has KM65r which is great. I have pole saw, trimmer and hedge trimmer attachments. Costly, about $750 all together, but well worth it. Echo commercial trimmer SRM230, great power little heavier. I also have a hand held Stihl blower $149 cost and a Stihl commercial grade Backpack BR380 blower $349.

Starting out you need to buy the proper equipment for the jobs you are going to do. If you are going to be in this for the long haul don’t buy the box store Troy Built, Ryobi, Paulson or Craftsmen. They won’t hold up and for the price spend a little more to last a little longer.

John

picframer
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
picframer, I hear the square line cuts the blades cleaner than the round. Do you find that to be true? If there is one thing I hate it's having a nice clean cut with frayed grass on the edges turning brown.

Yes it leaves a very clean cut and I personally find they last longer, I let the staff use whatever they want but it's what I prefer

jasonw
06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I use a TB 4 stroke 25CC strait shaft. As far as line I just get cheepo .080 to .105. The .105 bogs the trimmer if I use all 4 lines so with that stuff I only use 2 lines. I mainly used it for brush cutting but now I have the brush cutter attachment so I use the .105 on my Bearcat 73150.

djmadmattr
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello my name is matthew i live in north texas near dallas and recently started a lawn service that has grown to 30 repeat clients in 2 months and 2 weeks. one of my signature moves is to turn the weedeater upside down and on full throttle back bevel the hybrid bermuda around here. It looks like someone took a yoshi blade and cut cake! I learned the trade when i was back in highschool and ran the lawnmower for a company that went from 15 lawns a week to 85 lawns in three years. Alot of things go into making a lawn look outstanding and I have never seen an edger do this. Granted i use more wire... and if i had city contracts that caused me to do street curbs a mile long than yeah i would use an edger. For residential nothing beats a back bevel cut that is perfectly straight. I tell you what i have found that if you get a toro 25cc straight shaft and put a green shakespere head on that baby it is super light and extremely powerfull:cool: I was lucky enough to get a seven year old one for 35 bucks! It needed alot of work but now this baby hums like no other. And is super lite. I have an echo backpack blower that I use to blow out the edgers to show the black line for the edge this is important to the final touch. I also just recently bought a honda HRX series mower. I can do two lawns and hour! Alot of people around here use edgers and blow all the grass in the edge. Keep it up guys! All of my lawns come from unhappy clients:D