PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys!

mariods
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey,
Just saying Hi. I am new to this forum, well a couple months now, but never actually said hi. How rude of me, lol.
Anyways, started out in the lawn care business, and commenced May 1st, and so far so good. I have a full time job as a 'licensed Automotive Technician', with full time hours and part time days. What the hell does that mean?, you ask.
Well I work 7 days in 2 weeks, and they cram the 80 hours in those days, which basically means long days.
Its o.k., cause my wife can work on certain days that i'm off, and we don't have to spend money on daycare for my 2 kids.
But, I have a one day of the week where I can do a side business, and thought the lawn care business would be a good idea. My buddy has been doing it in the same scenario for 6 years now and loves it.
I have 4 weekly contracts, and 1 intermittent (3 weeks on 3 weeks off).
And every now and then I pick up a referral from people who want just single services like weed removing, lawn spraying, fertilizing, cleanup, etc.
My equipment is pretty basic compare to the rest of you guys.
Murray 22" 6hp push mower.
26cc curved shaft, xt260 weedeater trimmer
Troybilt, 25cc leaf blower
4' x 4' custom trailer, with a back rack
and of course an assortment of hand tools and shovels and rakes.
So thats my biz in a nutshell. I enjoy doing it, its straight forward, no haggling, you get a decent 'farmers tan', it pays pretty good, and I like doing a good job for the client.
Hope to keep it up for a while, as a second income, and you never know, might get into the commercial side of things, along with property maintenance. (with better equipment of course)
Talk to you later.

Steve
06-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Welcome to our forum!

It's nice to have you here.

What kinds of things have you been doing to promote your business?

A lot of new business owners find it really difficult to get those first few customers. Do you have any advice on how best to go about doing that?