PDA

View Full Version : She's gone ...

mark123
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
RIP 1999-2010 (approximately)
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Toro1.jpg

I was mowing today and my dear little buddy decided she had enough and threw her connecting rod through the oil pan. I tried to revive her but it was no use. No resistance in the starter line means she wasn't breathing any longer. I couldn't get a pulse. :( She's dead.

akessinger84
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
You could always do a heart transplant

Steve
06-03-2010, 01:56 AM
I am sorry about that!

Can you do an engine swap and get your mower back up and running again or whats the plan?

mark123
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, it's 11 years old. The baffle is cracked in two places and it was leaving stringers and the cut quality went way down. I probably will rebuild it but I couldn't afford to go a day without a mower so I went to the local yokel and picked up a new 40" Toro with the Turbo Force deck. I'm working on the set up as I get used to it. Right now it just doesn't stripe like the good ol' 36" did. Today I pitched the deck down in the front a bit and it is striping a bit nicer but not how I'd like. I'm going to drop the front down a bit more and see how it goes.

Steve
06-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Do you have a welder? I bet you could fix the baffles with one and then maybe work to bring your mower back to life :)

Keep us posted on the new one.

XtreemGreen
06-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Ship her down to me, Ill fix er up...

mark123
06-15-2010, 09:41 PM
... Keep us posted on the new one.
Well, after 13 whole days, I've returned my new mower to the dealer. I would have taken it back last week but Toro called me and offered me some low-lift blades that they said will fix the issues. It didn't fix it. The Toro turboforce 40 does nothing but make a total mess. The deck gets packed with grass and it dumps clumps all over. Even in perfectly dry conditions it leaves a mass of long clippings, like a gray blanket, over the entire lawn. In dry conditions it requires double cutting, in wet conditions 4 or 5 total cuttings is not unusual on every lawn.

The dealer gave me a 1990 Toro 44" to use while we figure out what to do. I tried it on the lawn by his shop and he tried the 40" that I returned. The 44" made 3 perfect stripes and then he made two passes with the 40" and it just pooped clippings all over my nice stripes. At least he understood what I was talking about.

I cannot recommend the Toro Turboforce 40.

mark123
06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry, I realized a mistake. The loaner isn't a 1990, it is a 1999. I did the same mistake elsewhere.

Steve
06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
What's your view as to why you experienced such a difference between the two mowers?

justin_time
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
The Toro turboforce 40 does nothing but make a total mess. The deck gets packed with grass and it dumps clumps all over.

Sounds like my zero turn mower, i can't beleive how much gets stuck on the deck. I have to clean it 2x a day sometimes depends how wet it is

mark123
06-16-2010, 06:13 PM
What's your view as to why you experienced such a difference between the two mowers? The Turboforce 40" I believe is an experiment. The blades are short and the deck is small. A smaller circumference on the blades and baffles means a greater angle when something hits it (as a circle's circumference approaches infinity the circle itself approaches a straight line and vice versa). Also, the spindle housings are huge and only leave about 2" between them and the baffles. There is just not enough room under there and it gets packed and does nothing but throw clumps and a massive blanket of clippings.

Sounds like my zero turn mower, i can't beleive how much gets stuck on the deck. I have to clean it 2x a day sometimes depends how wet it is 2x a day? You're lucky! I had to clean this thing out 5x per lawn. No joking! What sort of mower is your zero turn?

justin_time
06-16-2010, 09:09 PM
2x a day? You're lucky! I had to clean this thing out 5x per lawn. No joking! What sort of mower is your zero turn?

Husqvarna 21 hp 48 inch deck Tunnelram deck

mark123
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Toro is bringing me a 36" to test on my worst lawn. If it doesn't make a mess like the 40" did I may take it home. However, I'd really, really love to move up to a 52".

mark123
06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
The Toro rep brought me a Turboforce 36 to try today. I purposely abused it so that it would make a mess. It had rained this morning and was sprinkling during the demo, the grass was extra tall and weedy and I lowered the deck too low (2.5") for the turf type and conditions. Even with this blatant attempt to skew the results the 36" performed like a mower should. I took it home with me.

I did return to the lawn raised the deck up to 3" and finished the lawn. This mower is faster than the 40", probably due to it being a few pounds lighter and it has a 16HP engine while the 40" had a 15HP engine. Even with losing 4" of mower width I believe the extra speed will compensate.

The deck had a little bit of grass under it but it was not completely packed full like the 40" after 5 or 6 passes. So far I'm pleased with the 36".

Steve
06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Is there any chance this mower was treated with something to keep the grass from sticking to the underside of the deck or is it simply better designed?

mark123
06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Is there any chance this mower was treated with something to keep the grass from sticking to the underside of the deck or is it simply better designed?

Actually, before I returned the 40" I treated it with Fluid-film and used it for a week along with every style of blade available. The Fluid-film didn't prevent any buildup but it did make cleaning it out very easy. Just put your hand under there and wipe it off.

I wish I had taken some photos of the underside of the 40". There is no room under there. It's a 3 blade design and the spindle housings are 9.375" in diameter leaving only 2" between the spindle housings and the baffles. Add to that the short diameter of the baffles and you've got a real problem under there.

The 36" is a two blade design and there is just so much more room for air to move under there.

Steve
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Who would have thunk the 36" would have more room for air to move than the 40" deck! Very fascinating!

mark123
05-27-2011, 11:57 PM
I hate to bring up this old topic but it's just too funny. I was looking at a few new mowers at my local Toro shop and the sales man said "you should look at this mower, it's the cream of the crop, top of the line, used but only has around 100 hours on it".

I looked at it and said "I know. It's the one I brought back because it sucks!" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH. It was the 40" Turboforce I had returned last year. :D

Steve
05-28-2011, 08:01 AM
LOL aint that something!

bruces
05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
that just shows that the dealer [or at least the salesman ] is a slime ball liar thats not worth dealing with .

mark123
05-28-2011, 09:20 AM
It did put a damper on my buying enthusiasm, that's for sure. :D

Moki
02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Now that it has been a year since you got your 36" how do you like the way it performs, have you had any issues with it that you can share?

mark123
02-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Now that it has been a year since you got your 36" how do you like the way it performs, have you had any issues with it that you can share?

The transmission went out in the 11th month and the dealer wasn't going to fix it. I had fight for them to honor the warranty. Then it started acting up again so I got the transmission off of the old mower and it's much better even though it's the same model. Toro's reliability isn't what it was in the past.

I used to swear by Toro but now I'm looking elsewhere.