PDA

View Full Version : snake in customer yard

JMADEWELL09
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I found a snake in a customer yard today We caught it and put in a shoe box. We are not sure what kind it is, we think maybe a babby rattle snake or sidewinder, I live 1 hr outside of vegas. We have desert all around where we live. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
you would know if its a rattle snake. The tail has the rattle if it dont its something else. Dont know much else about snakes.
Hi from AZ

swstout
06-02-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subpages/h-p-catenifer.html

Steve

Organic Ken
06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Definatly a gopher snake. Rattlers, besides the rattle, have a triangle shaped head that is much wider than the body,

Attached is a 4 ft rattler I got last summer- hecka fun!

Organic Ken
06-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Here is a pic of mine before I shot him. you an see the head better

swstout
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Graphics/Snakes/PITCAT-09a.jpg

Still looks like a Gopher to me.

Steve

MAKLawnCutter
06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Deffinately NOT a side winder OR rattle snake. Unless as they grow, markings change, most snakes stay close to the texture and color/markings they are born with. I couldnt find a pic for this tho...

Im down with STOUT on the "gopher" snake... Steve has a new mascot! haha.

Matt

Steve
06-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Ken that is an awesome photo of the snake and the meat cleaver LOL HAHAHAHHA

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/795/350_cleaver_with_blood.jpg

JMADEWELL09
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I think it was a gopher snake after looking at some pics. We did take it out to the desert area away from houses and released it. It freaked me out though it tried to strike at me when i first saw it, I tried to back up and ened up falling on but with my weedeater in hand. In the 19 years I have been doing yard maintenance that is the frist snake I have seen.

swstout
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Last year I had a 6' alligator in my back yard when I went to mow it! Seen a few snakes (all non-poisonus) over the years though.

Steve

jklawncare
06-04-2010, 02:41 AM
why do you guys get all the cool stuff

all ive gotten..and its been like 7 times...are those TINY baby toads and you dont see them until you almost hit them..i move them if i can..but idk how many ive hit without noticing ahaha

Fresh Cut
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I REALLY don't like snakes. I jump like a little B**** everytime I 'think' I see one.

Lizards aren't as bad for me, but I still jump. Just not as much.

Last week I was cutting a vacant house for this property management company and it had a rabbit in the fenced in back yard. I didn't see it until I had the 36" in the fence already, it ran towards the gate so I figured I'm good. It turns out that it's burrowed under the yard and got all kinda entrances everywhere..... but that's not the kicker.

It's got babies! And they were still underground! I wouldn't know there was a hole there until after I ran over it because the grass was tall. A couple times I almost hit some, they wouldn't come out the ground until I was already up on 'em with the mower. Freaked me out.

Organic Ken
06-06-2010, 12:26 PM
yea, Fresh Cut, I got a gopher this week that way. There were about 6 fresh mounds in the grass and as I was mowing, I heard a crunch. I backed up to see a gopher mangled by the blade! I pushed him back into the hole so he could fertilize the lawn a little (serves the b*****d right), then I had to fix all the mounds. I flooded the tunnel first, just in case there were any babies.