PDA

View Full Version : Are your Blades Sharp?

CloseCuts
06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I was wondering how often does everyone change there blades? And do you guys sharpen your own blades and if so what type of grinder do you use? I change my blades everyday and sometimes depending on how many lawns I have I might use 2 sets. I love to have a fresh and clean cut. I use a bench grinder but i'm trying to find a faster and easier way. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Cyle Hostedler

cleancutlawncare5382
06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I've been kinda wondering about this same subject. I know the blades are to be sharp, but how sharp? I've been using a bench belt sander and the results have been good. I wouldn't say you could shave the hair off your arm but close. After the belt sander - a file helps to knock the burr off.

JMADEWELL09
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I used to buy new blades all the time instead of sharpening them. One of my customers sharpens things for a living so he charges me 4 dollars per blade to sharpen and $6 for my chain saw chain. So now I have some extra blades so every week to 2 weeks I take off my blades when i change the oil and put on a sharpened one and take the other one to my customer to sharpen. We kinda barter He give me a bill for the sharpening and I take it off my invoice for taking care of his yard.

jklawncare
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
i use a blade sharpener that goes on a drill press

i have 3 sets of blades and i change them at the beginning of every day

i have the others pre sharpened so there ready to go

i did have to toss one however because there was a brick randomly completely in the soil except one little edge.

HOW DOES A BRICK GET THAT FAR IN THE GROUND?AND HOW DID IT GET THERE?

its not a brick house? and even if it were..how does it get this far out?god..i hate that thing..

CHEESE2009
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Just do it when you notice the quality of the cut go down. I don't mean wait last minute, you'll notice way ahead of time before your business is at stake.

I give my equipment a good scrub down & send it in for sharpening. I have no time for sharpening... The truth is, my new dealer often does a little extra for me. I sent it in for repairs & it came back with brand new height adjusters & gear knobs. Wasn't in the bill :P

picframer
06-02-2010, 03:44 AM
All of ours are sharpened and balanced once a week, sometimes more often but that would be rare, I buy sharpening stones from Lee Valley that go on a drill, they ensure bang on results every time. I personally find the price of blades pretty cheap (we run Gator's) I put new one's on for the spring start, keep the old ones as a back up.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10185&cat=2,54322,54327&ap=1