PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bearings in my 36" Turf Tracer HP

Fresh Cut
05-31-2010, 03:19 PM
How hard is it?

A buddy of mine used my mower while we were working together one day and he said it should be spinning faster, he suggested the belt was loose or worn.

Well, Friday I stopped at an Exmark dealer and asked for one of the mechanics to come out and look it over. He listened to me engage the blades, I cut it off, he lifted it up and played with the blades to see if there was play. He told me to do it, lift up and down with the blade vertically to see if it has any play in it. He initially said only one needed new bearings, but after he pushed the tensioner back and checked the other blade he said both need new bearing.

We then went in and he gave me a quote on parts and labor to fix it, total was close to $400. I can't afford that. The parts come to about $130-$150. I can afford 'em, but I don't wanna screw anything up, I need this machine.
I checked and the dealer only had 2 bearings in stock, I need 4. There are 2 bearings for each spindle.

My question is how hard is it to do, realistically?

Steve
06-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I think it would be a great project to learn how to do. Let me include a diagram of the spindle area.

It is tough to see but the bearings look to be labeled #21. You will need a bearing puller to get them out of there and then you will either need a press or a hammer and would to get the new ones in.

I can't believe I wasn't able to find a single video on this. If you decide to do it, take some pictures or video. It will help others learn how to do it as well.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p17340948/MOW.jpg

Fresh Cut
06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think its worth the risk of doing something wrong and causing more damage to my primary machine at this point in the season. It would cost me more in the days I may have to go without it than it would if I save a little and have the dealer do it.

So, that's what I'm gonna do. I paid for the 4 bearings Tuesday, they only had 2 in stock and had to order the other 2, they should be there this Tuesday or so. Then I'll just drop off my mower and have them do the work and hopefully they will have it ready for me in two days.

So, until then I need to hump it out here and catch up as much as possible on my yards. It rained everyday last week, and it put me behind.

Steve
06-07-2010, 03:56 AM
I think that is a good decision. Is there any chance you could be there to watch them as the change the bearings? That would be a great learning lesson!