PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Stihl

F3Nelson
05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Ive never owned any Stihl equipment before, its all been RedMax or Shindaiwia.

Observing other lawn companies around here (KC), Ive noticed a LOT of them use Stihl equipment. Im pretty loyal when it comes to equipment and dont ever change.

On the advice of some others I bought a new Stihl handheld blower for clearing hard surfaces after mowing.

I wont EVER buy anything that has the Sthil word on it. This unit is hard to start, sometimes wont stay running, and for such a small piece of equipment, it seems to use a ton of gas.

Did I get a lemon, or is Stihl just bad equipment

picframer
05-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I have about 11 pieces of Stihl gear and not one issue with any of them, the BR600's always start on the first pull, what model did you get and did you take it to the dealer to have it looked at?

kdexpd
05-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I use all Stihl weedeaters, however Stihl, in my opinion, is cold natured and is always needing carb adjustment. I think Holley carburetors makes Stihl....always having to tinker with them. I like them because they are rugged, however I'm kinda stuck with them because we aren't lucky enough to have much competition around here. I've seen some RedMax, but that's about all. I've tried the Ryobi 4 cycles, but the power just isn't there like a 2 stroke and they are horrible gas hogs. I have 2 FS45's and a FS110. The 110 is only used on commercial accounts because it's straight shaft. I hate straight shaft on residentials because I use the curved shafts like an edger on all the sidewalks and driveways. That and I just don't care for them.

Edward36
05-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I hate mine I will never buy one again

Steve
05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
I hate mine I will never buy one again

What kind of experiences have you had with them?

mark123
05-30-2010, 09:47 PM
... This unit is hard to start, sometimes wont stay running, and for such a small piece of equipment, it seems to use a ton of gas.

Did I get a lemon, or is Stihl just bad equipment
Every Stihl I've ever used was the same way. I can't see why they are in any way popular. I did get a good workout trying to start it every morning. It's like a 30 minute workout on the rowing machine.

akessinger84
05-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Ive never owned a stihl though I did look at one on Craigslist the other day.
I ended up going with a hell of a deal a feather lite and a ryobi for $50.00 bucks. I had to replace the fuel lines on the ryobi, they had rotted off, and adjust the carb a bit on the featherlite. They both run like champs and havnt given me any problem yet.

Little's
05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I have 3 Stihl chainsaws. 2 Stihl backpack blowers. Weed eaters too. Never had a single issue with them. They are the best made. At least the best made TO LAST. But Ive never had to put anything Stihl in the shop.

turfmaster
05-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I have 4 stihl trimmers, 4 stihl hedge trimmers and 4 stihl blowers and we love them. I been running Stihl hand helds since 1994 without a hitch.