PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Work Information You Should know

swstout
05-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Heat and Work Information You Should know

From my wife. MSN, RN, Nursing Instructor.

This you should know for yourself, your workers and your clients!

Heat stroke is the most dangerous heat related disorder there is, often putting victim's lives in danger. Learn how to prevent and protect yourself from heat stroke and other heat related Disorders.
A beautiful, sunny day can bring with it loads of fun and excitement or life threatening illness. Heat sickness is a fast acting, dangerous killer. Heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke can bring about an irreversible coma and even, death.

Know the difference
Itís important to note the differences between the three main heat related illnesses. While heat cramps can be uncomfortable, they are not life threatening. Heat stroke, on the other hand, needs immediate medical attention.

Heat Cramps
Heat cramps are caused by muscle contractions in both the gastronomies or hamstring area (back of calves). Feeling most like a severe muscle pull, heat cramps are forceful and painful. Heat cramps are associated with lack of fluids, high temperatures and lack of physical conditioning. Heat cramps, while painful, are not life threatening. Ignoring heat cramps however, can bring about the progression of other, more serious heat related illnesses. Heat cramps can be treated with water, cool air and rest.

Heat Exhaustion
This condition is exactly what it sounds like: severe exhaustion caused by extreme body heat. Excessive heat and dehydration can cause the body to overreact, thus raising your body temperature to over 102-degrees. Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion include paleness, nausea, extreme fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, vomiting, fainting and cool, clammy skin. Heat Exhaustion is a serious illness and should be carefully monitored. Cool, shady environments, liquids, cool rags placed on various areas of the body and replacement of electrolytes (such as those found in sports drinks) are used to treat this condition. If body temperature remains elevated even after treatment, it's best to consult your doctor for further information and instruction.

Heat Stroke
Heat Stroke is a medical emergency, and the most severe form of heat related illness. Anyone exhibiting the signs and symptoms of Heat Stroke should be rushed to the nearest hospital or clinic. Unlike other forms of heat illness, Heat Stroke does not have to be caused by exercise or exertion. High temperatures, lack of body fluids and overexposure to the elements can all bring about Heat Stroke. The very young and old are especially susceptible to the hazards of this heat related illness.
http://www.gopherforum.com/Image1.gifhttp://www.gopherforum.com/Image1.gifhttp://www.gopherforum.com/Image1.gif

Symptoms
The first sign to look for in a victim of Heat Stroke is red, flushed skin. People who are suffering Heat Stroke, do not sweat, so it is critical that they receive emergency care immediately to relieve their body of heat. Other signs of Heat Stroke include:

A body temperature of 106-degrees or higher
Seizures
Headache
Rapid pulse
Unconsciousness

Prevention of Heat Stroke
It is possible to avoid suffering the ill effects of heat related disorders by taking a few simple precautions.

Hydration
The easiest way to avoid Heat Stroke and other heat disorders is to keep your body well hydrated. This means drinking plenty of water before, during and after exposure to the elements. Sports drinks are a good choice if youíre exercising or working in hot conditions, but water works fine, too.

Ventilation
Staying in a place where there is plenty of airspace which will help allow your body to naturally cool itself. Sitting in a shaded, wide open area will help your body rid itself of heat through sweating. If you're indoors, always open windows, use a fan, central air or air conditioning during excessively hot days.

Clothing
What you wear can play a big factor in how your body will handle the heat. Light colored, loose fitting clothing will aid your body in breathing and cooling itself down naturally. Tight clothing restricts such a process and dark colors absorb the sunís light and heat. Itís okay to wear a hat to shield yourself from the sun, but once you feel yourself getting warm, itís best to remove any items that are covering your head. Continuing to wear head garments will only keep more heat trapped inside of your body.

Limit Yourself
Watching how much activity youíre participating in during hot days is also important. Donít overdue it. Heat Stroke can set in in less than an hour. If you feel yourself getting warm or lightheaded, itís best to take a time out and rest in the shade.

Heat related illnesses are preventable. Like many sicknesses, it's easier to take steps against Heat Stroke than it is to treat it. Most doctors recommend consuming eight or more glasses of water a day during normal weather conditions and twice that during high heat periods.

Steve

Steve
05-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Steve, what is your view when it comes to hydration on drinking water versus something like Gatorade?

swstout
05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Steve, what is your view when it comes to hydration on drinking water versus something like Gatorade?

Products like Gatorade have the necessary electrolites for faster absorprion but have high sodiun content. Sodiun is needed for sweat but not that much acording to my doctor. upon hid advice I use water and unsweetened ice tea but then I have high blood preasure when I don't eat and drink right.

If I drop another 25 pounds I will be off BP meds and can start over again.

Steve

Steve
05-31-2010, 10:35 PM
If I drop another 25 pounds I will be off BP meds and can start over again.

It would be great if you do that and get off the meds! Keep us posted on how that goes!

stevef1201
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Gatorade is great for you, but you also need to dring plain cool water, NOT ice cold water, and little sips. Dont take you 32 oz gatorade or water and chug it, you will puke.

XtreemGreen
06-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks Steve, Ill post this on my forums also... If its ok?

I currently work for my dad installing underground propane tanks and line..Thursday was probably the hottest day so far this year... I was soaked in the first hour of working..I buy the powder Gatorade and mix it in a 3 gallon cooler... But I only mix for 2 gallons as 1 gallon is ice at first... Between 2 guys, it was gone in 3 hours... We started at 8am.. But the time it was 1 pm, we both were exhausted...Cold Gatorade or faucet temp water, just wasnt doing it...I gave up and went a laid down in the shade for about 30 minutes... Told my dad if he didnt like it, tuff s h i t fire me...All I wanted to do was sleep.. But we finished the job and we both slept the hour long drive back to the shop..

mburse1977
06-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I was told wearing a straw hat with a wet rag under it was a good way to cool down and keep cool is this just urban mirth are is there some truth to this?I have just expand over night so i need to get prepared to be out there 14 hours in the sun not with 10 to 20 jobs a day i will be out a lot and some of the things i was told was this.

wear a straw hat with a wet rag under it.
Drink water but not ice water room temp water is best.

Would like to know ever ones thoughts of what they do and how it works out as it get up to over 100 down here all summer and some of the fall.Temps feel like 115 degrees when you factor in the humidity in the air. so its hot and sticky.

thanks mike

Steve
06-05-2010, 03:13 AM
How about a mower with air conditioning?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
06-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Doesnt even have to be wet just a hat n bandana or sumthing keep the sun off ya. How most us do it out in AZ where it does get to 115 not feels like 115. room temp water may be easier to drink but where is it better for you. Just hard to chug ice cold water, stay on top of it u be fine. Most people in AZ are cronically dehydrated even if you dont work outside. Just lots of water. gatoraid helps but water best.

lolz its late and now all I can think of is Water suck it really really suck Water sucks it really really suck..... Gator...aid. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mburse1977
06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
How about a mower with air conditioning?

Now this would really work do they make a zero turn model that small enough to do residential lawns rotflmao.

Jack Rabbit
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Predicted 108 tomorrow. I think it will be 106. I might hike in the dunes. Won't be able to go far in that heat but I like sand plus heat.

I usually don't wear caps or hats. Seems to trap the heat. Sometimes I put sunscreen on the part in my hair as I can get sunburn there. When hiking and it's not so hot I sometimes wear a cap to keep the sun out of my eyes.

About a gallon of water per six hours of work is typical for me on Summer days. I keep it in the freezer some so there is a little ice to keep it cool. Sometimes I eat a sprinkle of salt or have a little Gatorade.

I rest briefly in the shade if I need to cool off. Spraying myself with the customer's hose works too. Get damp not soaked. It's dry here so it evaporates and cools.

swstout
06-05-2010, 10:23 PM
At 11:30 it was 96, rained for about 5 minutes and dropped the temp to 80 (with 100% humidity. At 4:00 it was 98 and another 5 minute rain dropped the temp to 83. Now 11:10 it is 82 again with 100% humidity.

If this year is like last year, it will be like this until September. Short thundarstoms twice a day unless we get rain all day in storm systems.

Days start out in the low 80's, up to near 100, rain, low 80's, up to near 100, and a short rain again and down to the low 80's. The humidity is so high you can't sweat. But living up near the Canadian border for a lot of my live, I find I like the heat here in SC much more than the Cold up there.

In the summer, I keep a towel with me to wipe down with. The sweat doesn't evaporate. I hate it when my eyebrows hold it and let it go all at once.

Iced tea and water and Gatoraid when I get light headed.

One more thing! My wife gets migranes and swears the Gatorad relieves them.

Steve